1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to Augusta, GA Help

Discussion in 'General' started by Sprinky, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

WERA BBS Throbbing Brain:

The lady and I are moving down to Augusta this spring due to her getting stationed at Fort Gordon. Does anybody that lives down there have any insider info on the area? What areas to stay away from (yes, I did a search and it appears I should stay away from the area in general :) ), what the general living is like, etc? Our realtor told us to stay out of S.C. because traffic was a pain between there and Gordon. We'll be down in February to look at houses, but 4 days isn't enough to get a good feel for a city at all. Thanks

:beer:

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Augusta is where humidity was created.

Winters are mild. Summer is hot.

A number of racetracks within reasonable driving distance.

Housing is reasonable. Where you live depends on what you want...public schools, go for Columbia County, none, cost is lower in Richmond County (Augusta)

What else you need to know besides the fact that we have a GREAT Triumph Ducati shop?

3. Sprinky

At least it won't be 20 degrees with 6" of snow on the ground, I'm tired of this white stuff!

No kids just dogs and bikes. I like the cheaper housing option. It seems like all of the houses that we have looked at are really new, has Augusta grown that much in the last 5-10 years?

Ahhh, a good Ducati / Triumph dealer? Just what I need, a place to go and drool and dream about replacing my old beat up F2.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Richmond County has some nice areas to live, but a lot will depend on your priorities. Where will you work?

5. Sprinky

I'm in the process of finding a new job, and she'll be at Gordon. I travel ALOT for my job now so I'm not as concerned about that, it's almost a way of life for me. Our priorities are pretty basic: a decent neighborhood, hopefully a running trail nearby, and semi-decent access to the highway. It's hard looking at a map and trying to figure out the area with never having been there. I'm just trying to gather as much info as I can before we go down for the whirlwind tour!

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Are you planning on buying or renting and what is your price range?

7. Sprinky

We'll be buying....hopefully in the $175,000 range

8. Sprinky

Unless I buy a 1098, then I'll be looking to be a squatter in a dog house!

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

That will get you a decent house around here, not a McMansion, but decent. My boss's son is a realtor. I can get his contact information if you want.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Will you be needing a fenced in yard? :D

11. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

O/T- I recently visited Augusta and was amazed at how much the town has grown. Of course I was stationed there back in 84....

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Dammit...you didn't stop by.

13. xsr71x

xsr71x Old Member

He'd look good in a city shirt as a maintenance man.:up:

14. Sprinky

The better half already has a buyer's agreement set up through her bank, thanks though
    :beer:

15. teampolevault

teampolevault Well-Known Member

Some of the older neighborhoods in North Augusta off of Georgia Avenue have some very nicely renevated older homes and you have the Greenway running or biking paved trail that goes all the way to Riverview park and the river.I dont think traffic would be any more of an issue than living in Augusta and you could possibly save some loot on prices of homes and possibly county taxes.:up:

Oh yeah, it was a frigid 60 degrees on my way to work this morning...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  16. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Signal Corps all the way!

17. Sprinky

Mmmmmm...warm weather, it reminds me of warm pie

18. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

When I was stationed there in 84, Grovetown was a trailer park that seen better days. It is now hot property at a premium price. Times have changed indeed.
    I'll give advance warning next time through. :up:

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

:stupid: North Augusta is very nice and with I-520 open from US-1 over to Gordon Hwy, commute time shouldn't be too bad from the Beech Island area.

20. eurobiketrash

eurobiketrash Well-Known Member

There are some nice houses being built out towards Grovetown that a lot of military are buying as its a straight shot down through the town to gate 2
    um as far as that 1098 come see me we are in Augusta. I also know where you can buy a spacious dog house:D