1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Bike - Hard tail

Discussion in 'General' started by Game, Jun 8, 2011.

1. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

That was nice. I've never heard of a 27.5. It scares me.

I have 26" and would like 29" just for the ground clearance. Where I ride there a large roots and rocks and I hit my chain rings from time to time.

2. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Bicycle shopping doesn't seem to be as easy as motorcycle shopping. Way more options.

3. novice201

novice201 "I'm a robot chicken!"

Fwiw, jenson USA (bike parts) show 10 pages of 26 inch tires, two pages of 29", and three (total) 650b tires.
    Not saying its not a cool idea, but it is uncommon.
    Edit: there's a fricking web site for everything these days....650bpalace.com lists a couple good tire choices. Still...

4. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Call me old fashion. My Rockhopper doesnt have ANY suspension.:D Tried a FS bike and really didnt like the pogo action while doing sprints up and down the parking lot. Plus FS takes away from the K.I.S.S. principle.

Want to get back into bicycling a bit more this summer. Maybe pick up another road bike since riding a mountain bike on paved roads SUCKS ASS.

5. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

i havent ridden a 650b yet, but it seems like it would be a nice compromise. anyone thats ridden a 26 and a 29er know the differences instantly. i'm still in the minority it seems and still prefer my 26 FS. i didnt like the disconnect i felt with the 29er, and the 26 just has more fun factor for the way i like to ride. anyone with a roadrace background i would think likes the way a 26 rides. they're razor sharp handling, flickability, lightweight, etc....its seems that the 29er has become faster on the overall trail though, hell even most XC racers are transitioning to them. you just gotta ride a few, and more than that, figure out how you like to ride, then the bike choice will become clearer.

6. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

27.5" halfway between 26 and 29

7. STT-Rider

The 650B wheel size has gained traction and finally got RockShox and Fox committed to forks for the size, that's a big deal. Granted there are are not dozens of tire choices available for 650B but there are enough and the ones available are good tires (WTB, Kenda..).

The reason that 29ers are "exploding" on the UCI racing scene (we have raced them for years here in North America) is because they have only been ok'd for two full seasons IIRC and 2012 is the third.

I love my two FS 29er's but one is going to get broomed to make room for the Jamis I'm pretty sure. The Jamis might be a combination of things that I'm liking... steel frame, the wheels, good geometry, climbs better than anythiing I have ridden and goes downhill well enough. Will I keep up with a 100mm or a 120mm FS rig piloted by a rider of equal ability on a fast, techy decent? Nope.

Only bummer is I'lll need to toss some extra spokes and a tire into my travel toolbox because odds are the LBS's wont have either should I need one.

As someone mentioned, the 26er is far from dead. My Intense Tracer is staying in my quiver.

8. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

The one mountain bike race I've done so far was on my Jamis and man could I climb on that thing. It was fun to pass people at 2mph. I do wish it wasn't full suspension, but it's a good workout nonetheless!

9. f4capt

f4capt Zoinks!

They will climb for sure. :up: I love my Jamis 29er ht.

[​IMG]

10. rob748

rob748 Well-Known Member

on some 29 bikes the chain rings are closer to the ground than a 26, was on a 2011 specialized 29 HT and hated it because it was so low

Ive ridden a few 29's and they just dont do it for me like the 26, for fast very tech east coast riding you cant beat a 26 steel SS

11. rob748

rob748 Well-Known Member

HT

i love my SS hard tail, just jump on and go
    i spend less time wrenching and more time riding, they are such a simple bike
    think my next one will be a Chromag from BC, YUM

12. PMooney Jr.

Found a nice Scott Spark 60, not tons of info and reviews like some bigger brands but they seem to be well liked. Going to check it out.

13. PMooney Jr.

Picked up the Scott last night. It's a 2009 Spark 60, really nice shape. Figured I better buy a used one since I have no idea what kind of bike I'll like or need.

iPhone pic

[​IMG]

14. STT-Rider

That's a very nice bike Pat. Scott makes some good stuff and that bike should serve you well just about anywhere you want to ride. Those Conti Mountain King tires are excellent as well. I know a lot of guys here who run them and like them a lot.

15. PMooney Jr.

Good to hear, looking forward to doing some trail riding!

16. Game

Game zip tie master

Anyone familiar with the stumpys.. Think this is a 2009, but it's been advertised as a 2010..

Attached Files:

17. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

one of the best all around trailbikes ever made. i rode one for years. you can't go wrong with one. they can vary greatly depending on component specs, but the frames and geometry are great.

18. What about just sticking to the 26 and replacing the big ring with a bash guard. Thats what I use. It gives me more clearance, and when it does hit (inevitible when you go over big logs) its a lot smoother because the there are no teeth to dig in.

19. This is exactly what Ive felt when Ive tried out a few 29ers. I just prefer the way the 26 handles. Super fun to whip it around my local trails that have a lot of high speed (relative to mtb) direction changes. My friends on 29ers do seem to have an advantage on the sections with a lot of roots though.

20. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

i dont think i could lose my big ring, i ride it quite a bit. i really wish my bike had a 2X10 setup. everything i keep reading about its versatility seems it'll be the norm pretty soon.