1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Bike - Hard tail

Discussion in 'General' started by Game, Jun 8, 2011.

1. trancework

trancework It's always now...

Should be getting this in the mail next week.... woot! :D

Attached Files:

2. J Bart

J Bart Fat Kid Track Days

The day I pulled it out of the box and put it together...... The bike was recommend to me by my friend Doug (D.C. 10) for the $$$ versus the components/fork/frame it was the best deal going. Doug rides Specialized/Felt 29ers said it was a quality bike, so far I'm quite happy with it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  3. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

There is a reson thet're called hardtails. I have had one and they are.
    With the advent of the auto lockout suspension systems these days other than the weight, full suspension is the choice.
    Here's a bike similar to mine. 24 lbs, $3600 (in 2000 when I got it) trail shredding machine.
    [​IMG]

4. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

I think the trails he rides on are root infested (from my memory of riding down there).
    FS will be a little nicer to the tailbone and feet.

5. Game

Game zip tie master

I've been sitting on Search tempest for a few weeks now just waiting for the right Specialized Stumpjumper to go on sale for the right price :D evil grin*

6. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

One on Orlando Craigslist.

Going to ride a few bikes before I get anything but one friend of mine who's beat up and broken like me says I'd like a full suspension bike. He likes it way more than his hardtail even though it's heavier, much easier on shitty joints and backs. Most all of the guys I'll be riding with here seem to be on 26" bikes and they ride some tighter trails so I may be looking at a 26" since they'd be my riding buddies for the most part. Hard to say till you've actually gone and ridden both on the trails though.

7. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

pmooney, how tall are you?

8. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Don't answer that Pat. The next question will be something about long walks on the beach.

9. novice201

novice201 "I'm a robot chicken!"

I'm in the over 40 league myself and have a 26" FS (2011 Giant Trance) and a older singlespeed 29'er hardtail. The full suspension bike is like cheating, it absolutely ignores the terrain. Faster you go, better it feels. But...they are heavier, more maintainence, and even with a lockout (which really does work btw) do lose some efficiency on the climbs. But still, it's an absolute blast. You'll be on some gnarly downhill, realize you're on a crappy line, and just say "oh well, let the five inches of travel deal with it". And it does.

The steel hardtail is fun in it's own way. I haven't had it too long, so still trying to ride it correctly to take advantage of the wheels. It corners and climbs very well, the whole "rolling over everything" does apply to some extent. But just like a nice set of lightweight wheels on a racebike, you do pay for that with some slower turning and response just due to the mass of the wheel. I do like the simplicity of the SS but that's an acquired taste...

IMHO the 29'er revolution makes a hardtail a usable choice, but I'd have a hard time plunking down a lot of money for a top flight 29'er versus a trick full suspension. If you need the weight savings for racing or ride smoother trails it probably makes more sense.

All that said, if they ever had any of those damn Motebecane Fly Ti 29" in stock, I'd be tempted. Low 20's in weight and those components would be pretty fun.

Oh, it's pretty rough/rocky/rooty around here for reference.

10. PMooney Jr.

5'11

Long bike rides on the beach, c'mon, get it right.

11. stickboy274

I live in an all sand area. I don't like riding the bike in it. I go to another location to ride.

Oh, BTW, he's still going to try and molest you.

12. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Thoughts on hardtails

I started on a full suspension MTB. I've ridden a couple of good 29er hardtails and come away unimpressed. Nice but not really anything special.

Well..........Spent some time over the past few days on a Jamis Dragon 650B. It's a hardtail and made from steel (Rynolds 853 tubing) and I am amazed. The 650B wheel choice is fantastic, best of both worlds (26 and 29er).

This bike is FAST and between the 853 tubings damping quailities and a thuduster seat post my 48 year old back didn't get beat to a pulp. I had it set up 2x9 with a 11-36 rear cassette and 27 x 39 FSA cranks. Always had the gear I needed. Did a big day (35 miles) a couple of days ago with some pretty big climbs and a grinder near the end (finishes with a 1600 ft climb in the final 3.4 miles...have to get OUT of the canyon somehow!) that would have me in the my small chainring on my 29er. I never missed the smaller front chain ring on teh Jamis.

I am amazed how efficient this bike is, no wasted energy as it all get to the rear wheel. It has an X Fusion 100mm fork which was plenty,

When navigating techy downhill stuff I did find myself selceting smoother line choices and avoiding some stuff I might just nail on a FS bike. Climbing was the shit! This bike was the fastest climbing bike I have ever ridden. In fact, I could climb faster enough on this bike to offset (and then some) any decending limitations. On a couple of short, rather steep and very technical climbs I did spin out a couple of times on stuff I can clear with my FS 26er or 29er.

The bike went back to the shop today...... I think I'm going to buy one, it's that good.

13. stickboy274

Loving the 69er. Good for you. I see those where I ride once in a while. I've wondered how they do.

14. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Jamis has zero representation in this area, I never see them unless it is the rare someone from back east out for a visit who brought a bike with them. I'm rather uninformed about the brand but do know they have embraced the 650B concept.

15. stickboy274

I was getting mine tuned and ready for a race and was looking the Haro bikes. They have changed their line up and have some good options. Not super light, but you get some good stuff for the money. I think they had a hardtail 29er with hydrolic brakes for around $800.

I thought that was pretty sweet option. If i can get my kid to start riding, I'll probably get him a Haro

16. PMooney Jr.

What size wheels does that Jamis 650 have?

17. stickboy274

According to the googles, 26"

18. rugbymook

rugbymook Under Construction

The 650B is a wheel size (27.5"ish)
    In between a 29" and 26"

19. stickboy274

Show off. I didn't actually read the specs.

20. PMooney Jr.

The jamis website just says 650B under wheel size. So you can actually buy a mt bike with 26", 27.5" or 29" rims? Is a 27.5" rim like a 16.5" for motorcycles where you end up not having tire selection. Sorry, total newb questions I'm sure. Is there a forum like this for bicycles where Mungo rules and I'll get asked if I can corner low on my 29er? They'll ask if my forks are straight and to check them with a 2x4?