1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorcycle warranty question

Discussion in 'General' started by trispdtrip, Aug 22, 2015.

1. trispdtrip

trispdtrip Poor, Fat, Slow Racer

So I'm sitting in a dealership right now getting the first service done on my 2 week old bike. I know the first service is basically an oil change but I brought here just to make sure I don't screw up the warranty.
    I heard as long as you buy the correct oil, filter, etc and keep the receipts and records a manufacture legally can not void the warranty. Is this true??

2. Yes that is true.

You do not have to have the service performed at the dealership. That is nothing but a scam for them to rip people of $200-$500 depending on the brand of bike.

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

So, like the oil dumper at the dealership... :Poke:

4. trispdtrip

I do not have a great deal of confidence in some of the dealers around here. I'm not a certified mechanic but I can handle basic maintence and inspection type tasks.
    When I get home I will be going over my bike to make sure there are no leaks, everything is tight, and it does have oil in it.:)

5. 418

418 Expert #59

Ninja post.

Decided not to participate in the stupidity. :D

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

magnusson moss.
    What specific items(s) were you worried about?
    The dealers around here love to scare new bike owners into a corner. Its hilarious.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Dirty yellow coward! :p

8. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

9. trispdtrip

Not really worried about anything in particular. Just did not want to screw wight the warranty if a did the first service myself.