1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorcycle dealers that don't suck...

Discussion in 'General' started by 418, May 11, 2021.

1. 418

418 Expert #59

Any Southeast dealers that don't gauge the shit out of their customers anymore?

I'm all for dealer making a fair profit but when you quote me $3700 for a CRF 110 with an MSRP of $2495 I remember why this industry is it's own worst enemy.

I was secretly hoping to form a relationship with a dealer by buying my boy a bike so daddy can maybe go pick up a big bike later in the year but apparently these dealers want to make all their money in one sale.

R1Racer99 and SpeedyE like this.
  2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

That's a quote from a thief.

SpeedyE likes this.
  3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

No most of the ones down here measure folks up pretty well.

Not to mention you have picked the single worst time to decide to buy. The places are empty and they are selling stuff that won't be delivered for months...

pefrey, Kolbe, stk0308 and 1 other person like this.
  4. 418

418 Expert #59

I'm aware but these dealers have all the excuses to mark up their prices. This isn't anything new. I use to work at one, lol.

5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

[​IMG]

SpeedyE and 418 like this.
  6. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Right now mini bikes are GOLD.

I can’t get anything and bikes at auction are going for over retail I shit you not.

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Gouge.

What Robby Stedman said. Bikes is crazy high now. Good luck in your hunt.

8. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

And FYI, I don NOT agree with price hiking. In our dealership, we just aren't cutting deals. Especially on hard to find units. MSRP basically with shipping and prep. We don't tack on other BS fees.

But I know there are dealerships especially Jap where you want a dirt bike, SXS, or JEt ski, you need to understand that they cant get them and they are prepared to rape you becuase they cant sell at volume anymore.

I hate it, but unfoirtunately, thats how it is right now.

stk0308 likes this.
  9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

And its getting worser...not better.

If your looking for Japanese/Asian stuff either
    1) get lucky and find it somewhere "normal priced"
    2) pay out the ass to get "the only one"
    3) wait until next year
    Because its going to be next year before this gets back anywhere near 'normal'

stk0308 likes this.
  10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

And that $2500 mini that some assclown dropped $5k on because their snot wrangler HAD to have one will be had for $750 when the market collapses.

See: 2008

tl1098, AMac, cav115 and 1 other person like this.
  11. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

I am waiting for the big COVID sell off, hopefully next year, so I can buy my 2018/19/20 KTM 500 for $6K.

SpeedyE and 418 like this.
  12. 418

418 Expert #59

I do get that the pit bike especially the 110s seem to be hot right now but this is the same industry that's going to wonder why nobody's buying bikes in a few years. That's because the parents couldn't afford to put the kid on something small when they were young.

13. 418

418 Expert #59

I hope you're right but I'm not so sure anymore. Inflation is a b****.

14. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Around our area, the gouging is apparently only part of what keeps you in Lambos!

15. My neighbor had a ttr 125 that was his kids that sat for 6 plus years with pump gas. Asked if I could fix it up since his sons long graduated college etc and they are selling the property where it was at. Him and his wife are dentists so they had the $ to always drop shit off at the dealer for service etc. Gave him $1000 for it ( I was very transparent bout the market so wasn’t trying to f over my next door neighbor). He said well it would be $500-750 at the dealership (carb was worst one I’d ever seen, air filter was even eaten by what was possibly metal head, etc). Changed the oil, put a new cheap eBay battery in it, cleaned the carb in the ultrasonic and had enough jets around to make it work as the pilot was not worth trying to clean, changed oil again just to give it a good flush after turning it over some with no plug, new pet cock and tank cleaning. Fired right up and has near the top end of compression range. I’ve since put a vm 24 carb on it, 3D printed an air filter a bit better than what bbr sells ( easy to do when you don’t have to manufacture the part), found a filter element that fit, spaced out the muffler and it’s become a fun little bike for about $1300 and some labor.
    Need to order a pipe, springs and although it doesn’t need them chain, sprockets and some wheels to do some mini flat track and probably swing out to herrrins a time or two. Great excuse to buy shit I didn’t need. Good bike for when company comes over too.

Senna and grasshopper like this.
  16. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

Not Southeast, but Octane Outlet (formerly middletown cycle in Middletown Ohio) had several minis when I was there a few weeks ago. I didn't look too close but it might be worth checking. They are good people and have helped out a few WERA racers out in the past.

418 and Canadian Bacon like this.
  17. And I’m fully OK with paying msrp, it is basic supply and demand and no one was paying you msrp when economy was crap so that is more than fair. And the other bs fees are why I’d never buy from certain places, it’s just a stupid game to f people and the lack of transparency when dealing with said dealerships is why with the exception of a coupe times I needed 2t oil in a pinch I’ll order shit from Honda East. Sorry Robby, haven’t needed any non Japanese stuff for a while :)
    I want the dealerships to make money but gouging people is just bad for business, very short term thinking. It compounds things when people are trying to get something for their kid that aren’t riders themselves and it turns them off from bikes totally. You end up f$cking the industry and maybe a chance at that kid continuing with it. Without these kids enjoying are state and federal land there will be no reason not to turn it all into hiking trails.

Note : That was not meant to be political just a statement about land.

R1Racer99 and 418 like this.
  18. 418

418 Expert #59

This is what I was trying to say just not quite as eloquently.

MSRP on a 110 is $2500. GA tax is 7% so that's $170 on top of that.

So I guess the other 1K is setup and doc fee? GTFO.

Brad likes this.
  19. Assembly, doc fee, dr bill for the sales manager to repair himself for f ing you dry :)

418 likes this.
  20. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

People are buying bikes/boats/atvs/utvs who never had them in the past and will probably never use them much anyway. I have seen it in my neighborhood, KTM 450 SX, he rode it twice and it has been sitting.