1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motor Questions - The more you know about F4/F4is the better

Discussion in 'General' started by Lever, Mar 16, 2004.

1. ZebProctor1

ZebProctor1 Well-Known Member

and the fuel pump. FI needs much higher pressure right?

2. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

i already asked her about it...she's being greedy!:D Plus this one is only $600 delivered and has 1100 miles on it:D

3. kmfegan

kmfegan Well-Known Member

I know that the ignition rotor on the F4i is different than the F4's so you would have to swap that over to work withe the F4's ECU.

You would also have to make sure that the rubber boots for the carbs will fit on the F4i's flanges.

Other than that, I don't see any problems.

The F4i transmission is geared differently so might have to run slightly different gearing than what you ran with the F4 engine.

4. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

there's also a problem with the vaccum hoses that connect just below were the carbs bolt in...there's only 3...and not 4 like on the F4...should i just pinch that hose and have at it...that's the biggest thing i'm concerned with because i can't remember if gas flows in there at all or not...you're right about the ignition rotor..i do need to change that as well...but there's also the cam shaft sensor that needs to be delt with...but i might just be able to throw the cover from the old f4 with that sensor on there...as long at the ign rotor is switched with that case cover and the cam shaft sensor, i doubt there would be a problem...

5. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Jeff, have you bothered to buy a friggin service manual?

6. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Not an F4i one:( ...i've got the F4 one

7. kmfegan

The four holes are there to serve as vacuum ports to synch the carbs. And I think that there are only two on the F4i head, not three. I just put bolts in there with the gasket and some blue Loctite.

The cam sensor is in the head not the cover. You could either leave it in there and do nothing with it, leave it in there and cut the wires off of it so you don't have a connector just hanging there, or you could remove and bang a freeze plug in there.

If/when you swap the ignition rotor off be sure to inspect the ignition pick up. I have never seen a problem first hand, but there are others that say you need to check those as the metal plate cracks.

Also the F4i has a better clutch than the F4. The F4 has less plates than the F4i and I was told that the F4i baskets are stronger.

8. ThrottleJock

ThrottleJock Has been/Never was

Awesome tips man, thanks.

Jeff, you ready to put it together as an F4 yet?

He's right about the vacuum ports... I had my head up my ass or I'd had too many beers or something when I counted them. The two outside ports exist on the F4i; not three. The ignition rotor, sensor and cover are non-issues (simple fixes) and I'm almost certain that the flange sizes are the same so the carbs should slide right on.

If you're still focused on the F4i mission, I've got a (really ugly one side caved in but it holds gas) F4i tank w/fuel pump in my garage that I'll sell you for a bargain basement price.

9. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

I think what i'm going to do is attempt to throw the F4 together see what kind of response i get from the motor and then go from there..if i can't get it runnin...i'll just bump up to fuel injection :)

10. guerrilla

guerrilla Real King of the Jungle

MORE...I NEED MORE!!! :D

Greenie does it bother you that there were actually people that thought you were dumb enough to carbourate a Fuel Injected Engine. :p

11. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

WTF...........

Jeff
    you cant even change your oil with out callin someone 42 times.:Poke: , i cant wait to see your phone bill after this ordeal

:beer:

12. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

I refuse to start talking to monkeys!

13. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Re: WTF...........

I might need a ride out to summit...what is the ticket fare out there?:Poke:

14. kmfegan

To use the F4i engine w/ theFI in the F4 I believe that you would need also use the following parts -
    - Wiring harness, ECU, and all sensors.
    - Fuel tank, or get an aftermarket external pump and use the F4 tank.
    - Airbox
    - Possibly the gauges.

You might also need the voltage regulator also as I would not be surprised if the F4i generator has a higher output to power the FI.

15. guerrilla

guerrilla Real King of the Jungle

How 'bout you kiss my monkey ass then! :D

16. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

How about an update?