1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP Qatar Race | 2018

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing.

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

The Great One likes this.
  3. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

Well I had it correct for about 85% of the race......:D

Phl218 likes this.
  4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

5. Boman Forklift

6. deathblow

deathblow Well-Known Member

Dang, I was actually waffling between JLo and the Doctor for third. Learned from this.

7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I just might, LOL!

8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

So make them really hard so you have less traction? If the tires could run the whole race without a drop off, they would ride harder, which would wear the tires out fadter. it's an endless circle that cant be fixed by "just make them last the whole race without dropping off".

turbulence likes this.
  9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Well that's the point of what I'm saying. Does it just so happen they are at the limits of what a MotoGP bike/rider can produce with respect to what a tire can handle for this particular give point in time?

If for instance you were to put a soft compound tire from today on a GP bike from 10-15 years ago would it trash it in 20-23 laps or would it be able to handle everything that bike could dish out to it?

ehh whatever, its a moot point anyway.

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I think the grip from today's tires would tie the old bike's chassis into knots.

11. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

The Yamaha team doesn't make mechanical mistakes on race day...
    Unless it's Spies on the bike.

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

unfortunately VR46 a couple years ago with a blown engine, ruining his 10th title

13. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Can we all just sit back and appreciate that Dovi is 3-for-3 on last lap battles with arguably one of the most aggressive road-racers to have ever walked the Earth?

AJ, MachineR1, Phl218 and 2 others like this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just watched the race - truly great.

And yeah, Dovi head to head against MM is pretty amazing. Let the kid on through and right back under him smooth as buttah :D

Phl218 likes this.
  15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

There is no limit.

There's a trade-off.

Traction = Tread wear

Each team gambles with how much traction can they sacrifice for increased tire longevity.

You want a tire that gives up nothing in traction over race distance? Well, you'll have a tire that's twice as heavy, traction surface twice as thick, and geometry that changes twice as much over the tire's wear.

Again...physics.

16. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Dovi's race craft is very good. Shame he's got no bottle.

17. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Interestingly, the moto2 extra hard rears are apparently the same as the hard, but with less rubber so they can dissipate heat quicker and not overheat. Kind of like back in the day when they would shave tires for certain riders. Tommy hand shaved Melandri's rear tire at Laguna in the mid 2000's.

18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

We did that at BIR as well. Took (I believe) 6mm off the center of the traction surface and still had overheating on the superbikes.

19. Boman Forklift

So what you're saying is pickle doesn't know what the heck is talking about. :crackup:

20. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

I thought they found out a pad was missing from the caliper.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk