1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2020 | Round 5 | Austria | Red Bull Ring | Aug 21-23

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Aug 17, 2020.

1. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Just watched it again. Mir ran off by his own doing. He had a good start, had the inside line and was beside Pol when they braked for 1. Doesn’t look like he could have had good drive out without running off.

Quicktoy likes this.
  2. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

That's the important part "before the crash". He can be the fastest dude out there, but if he can't make it to the finish, he doesn't finish. This could be the beginning of a new pattern with Marc. Instead of crashing only in practice. He could start crashing in the races.

3. Phl218

Phl218 .

:stupid:

Plowing through the field while cooking his tires, then crashing kinda makes the plowing through the field portion irrelevant.

KneeDragger_c69 and stk0308 like this.
  4. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

1 - Interesting seeing two 308s arguing.

2 - Look forward to seeing MM back.

5. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Evolutionary theory at play? A really good rider allows the bike to fall behind and no one realizes it due to all the Champaign and celebrations. Take Marc out of the equation and suddenly Honda has a ton of work to do.

6. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

You have done it. You pulled together the harsh reality of MotoGP and the gun world.

Rossi and the Aliens were the 308s, incredible, Rossi the first and the GOAT of the 308s. MM is the 6.5 Creedmoor - taking down the old guard and blazing a new trail. Once more 6.5s make it into MGP, MM will be chasing being the GOAT of the 6.5s, or will he....?
    Or are the 6mm Creedmoors the next thing aka Brad Binder, Olivera, ...

@Quicktoy ....

badmoon692008 and Phl218 like this.
  7. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I have a 1919 chambered in 308. Some would call it the goat

vfrket and Phl218 like this.
  8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Unless it came up solely to illustrate that he is much faster than the field. You guys are making it sound like he runs off the track while in the lead every other race. Oh well, we'll see.

G 97 likes this.
  9. Phl218

Phl218 .

no, but it's a gamble he took. being at or over the limit has its toll. his ability to ride over the limit and save crashes like no other ultimately led him to crashing where he could not save it. some call it skill, pushing his luck, overconfidence or stupidity. or red mist.

10. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

It has served him well for one, two or eight championships...

There's a method to the madness (of sorts)

G 97 likes this.
  11. Phl218

Phl218 .

true

i'm just happy that there's exciting racing going on and i don't have to see the stupid grin in the interviews all the time.

12. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I love that grin. He has more fun than Valentino.

Shocker and Quicktoy like this.
  13. G 97

G 97 Garth

When has Honda ever not had a ton of work to do. They always have a ton of work to do. Don’t kid yourself, what happens on the race weekend is not seamless. It doesn’t just occur. They are always doing a ton of work, regardless. The results aren't any indication of this effort one way or the other.

Kind of silly to think that Honda has somehow painted themselves into a corner by hooking their wagon so firmly with MM. They are smart to ride that horse for as long as they can. Takaaki has shown that the Honda is rideable and is capable of winning. The hard work portion is a constant continuous dynamic. Foolish to believe otherwise.

14. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

I'd have a beer with quite a few of the riders, MM is one of them. Seems good company!

BTW, those Unseen bits on MotoGP are getting a bit formulaic but always interesting when Jack is in them. Jack is in Oliveira's bit....

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

All of a sudden MM isn’t the fasted racer who wins the majority of the time.
    Now he’s the fastest (which is deemed immaterial) racer who crashes.
    Revisionist history at its finest. Oh well is correct.
    We’ll all see MM at the top of the podium.

Sweatypants likes this.
  16. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

GOAT is .30-06

GTFO with that post-modern crap.

stk0308 and Quicktoy like this.
  17. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Not that I think Honda don't do their homework. Obviously they have had championship capable bikes for decades. But I think this season is showing that maybe they are a bit more dependent on their riders to win and less dependent on the bike just being that damn good, if that makes any sense (probably not). In retrospect, they have employed every champion of the past 19 years at some point or another (5 total). It's 7 of 8 if you go all the way back to the beginning of the Doohan era and that 8th one only had 1 title. Next closest is Duc with 4 world champion riders, 3 of whom could be argued were past their prime (never won another championship) versus Honda only employing one of their 7 after their championship winning days. Would be curious to look back through the years and see what kind of salaries they've paid to those riders on average compared to the other factories. Seems they must invest a lot there.

Marc will still dominate when he returns. I forget who said it but someone earlier in this thread said they wouldn't be surprised to see him show back up at Portugal just to lay waste to everyone and give everyone a reality check right before the offseason. This would not surprise me one bit.

18. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

True

Knotcher likes this.
  19. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Yeah, you’re right.

20. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yeah, you’re an idiot.