1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica | Ridge Motorsports Park | June 23 - 25

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, Jun 20, 2023.

1. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Another question is why wasn't the lapped rider shown the blue flag under 1.16.2.c as he was obviously much slower? They had the entire front straight to do so.

2. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

I don't think you can go by just top HP numbers???
    How each bike gets to its top HP number plays a major roll on its rideability.
    Just because the Duc is only 4 hp over the R6 (130-126)... doesn't show how each bike comes out of a mid-range corner, etc.

3. prm

prm Well-Known Member

IMG_0904.jpg

MELK-MAN likes this.
  4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

exactly. limiting the full opening of the butterflys won't limit the midrange punch a bike has, unless there's something to the "balancing" that limits this too. But if a bike makes 10 HP more midrange/mid throttle, it's gonna friggin PULL a less hp bike even if the top of the throttle opening is limited. There could be more to it, as some have said, "retarding timing", etc.

evakat and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

You’re thinking about it wrong Melk, it’s not say, capping the butterflies so they only ever open say, 80% max, it’s a literal throttle map. So at X throttle opening at Y RPM, put the butterflies at Z. So you can literally shape the resulting power curve for WOT or any other throttle position to be whatever shape you want under the max output. You can carve the midrange right out, you can make it so at RPMs ending in 000 you have WOT and RPMs ending in 500 you have nothing when the throttle is wide open, but at 50% throttle opening the curve reverses, etc. Take a look at the throttle to butterfly mapping on the new Kawi 400 rocket to see just how wacky they can get.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

good to know. i figured there had to be a way to limit power throughout but had no idea.