1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica changes for 2018

Discussion in 'General' started by rcarson15, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Broome really needs to just come out and run our class on the R6.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Gonna be mister popular with this post but. . . the twins class has no business at a MA event. It belongs at a club racing event and just smells of a money grab to me.

I got nothing against making money in fact I love money but I don't dig this.

motion likes this.
  3. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

Not that I don't think they belong, but the rider pool with pro/alien talent and speed is very thin for this class. All the big names or ultra fast dudes are taken up in the other classes, so it definitely becomes less of a draw.. and out of the club racers making the step, very few of those are pro quality.

4. Been to them, it was fine but didn’t enjoy it as much as racing. I don’t get the same enjoyment out of watching things, especially in person.

I played baseball for 18 years, hate watching it. Been to several NBA games, and even with seats close to the court, it’s not the same as watching it on TV. Last weekend we went to see Kevin Hart in Charlotte, it was a lot better on TV.

As far as the event/game goes, it is cool just to do something different. But when it comes to actually enjoying what is going on, it’s better on TV.

5. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

@Chaotic I believe he meant you should race an MA event.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't think it was/is a money grab so much as someone influenced the decision makers getting them to think the twins class is much bigger/more popular than it really is. I looked and in the southeast we only had a dozen riders total and half of them were from out of the region and ran just one event. Yeah it may be big for one off events like the RBOM race or even in some regions but overall it's been declining.

People keep talking about the FZ7 but it's not going to bring the class back, the 300 level bikes have taken over from the LW Twins. There aren't enough small bike lovers/riders to do both classes. There's a reason I have them all combined together...

7. Well shit. My bad. :D

It was the “attending” that threw me off.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Come out and race dummy.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

How much did Suzuki dropping the SV for a few years contribute to killing the class?

If MA wanted something new and exciting they should have gone with something like an open class naked bike series. 1000R versus Z900s versus the rest of those wallowing pigs. No fairings, limited mods, no (or almost no) baffling in the exhausts cans. Big, loud pigs that barely go around corners . . . like the original superbikes.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It contributed but I think having a much larger group of small bike options was a bigger factor. The kids we'd normally see on SV's are running 300 level bikes and I'm not sure most will take the next logical step to the SV, instead they'll most likely go to the 600's.

11. Russell Masecar

Russell Masecar Well-Known Member

There could be a basic RBoM Superstock SV available if someone was seriously interested in getting on the grid. A bit of a scramble to prep it to pass MA tech. Probably not a front runner, but a decent bike. Unfortunately, I've disassembled 3 previously ineligible bikes to build Curtis Murray a 2009 bike. Emails would be best for further discussion: [email protected]

ceebus and r6boater like this.
  12. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

They already had an XR1200 series.

Or do you mean even bigger and louder pigs with no fairings and even more limited modifications that go around corners even worse?

rcarson15 and Gorilla George like this.
  13. swiest152

swiest152 Zoran's headache

I can't believe MA sucked you in.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

That was a spec class with just one bike allowed to dance to the music. Invite the rest of the town to the square dance and see what happens.

15. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

I think a spec class would be best. The grids have always been pretty full in BSB for their spec class, whether it's Triumph 675, Ducati 848, Ducati 959, etc.

Bodywork, slip ons, shock, fork internals, rear sets, Spec ECU and go race.

Spec racing is usually pretty entertaining. No financial advantages, just riders banging it out.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  16. metricdevilmoto

I think that for support and feeder classes, spec is the best way to go in regards to the racing.

I don't think that there is a certain type of motorcycle or brand of motorcycle or engine configuration that's going to do anything as far as putting asses in the seats.

rcarson15 and Boman Forklift like this.
  17. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

Word.
    You should see the FZ cams. They barely have any bumps on them at all. It's a really detuned design. The SV has better cylinder head design and layout. The FZ is hamstrung by sidedraft heads and lack of perimeter frame. That isn't stopping people from getting power out of them, however.

18. metricdevilmoto

I agree. But the problem, as usual, is getting someone to pay for it.

19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

:whoosh:

I meant you racing at the event.

G 97 and Gorilla George like this.
  20. G 97

G 97 Garth

If nothing else the MA twins class will provided the spectators a nice break in the action to grab a beverage, get something to eat, take a leak or just take a nap. So it’s got this going for it.

713 likes this.