1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica | 2022 | Round 3 | Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta | Braselton | April 22 - 24

Discussion in 'General' started by henry_carlson, Apr 22, 2022.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

then this is the last we'll hear about cheater kawi 400 engines in Jr. cup then? Well until you enter, formally compete, then protest?

2. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Or the class dies. Which is a shame because Jr Cup and Twins are the only thing worth watching in MA at the moment in terms of close racing and not knowing the winner.

Nope, our modest 44hp will be just fine at Club level.

Can't protest if you refuse to play the game!

However there are a couple kids we root for in MA that in my opinion I KNOW it's the motor holding them back. I'd challenge you to watch closely before trying to flame.

3. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

I don't believe that any teams are accusing Cody of breaking eligibility rules, they are frustrated that someone with vastly more pro racing experience is participating in a class that is marketed by MotoAmerica as designed as a place for young riders to learn pro racing, giving them a platform to advance. To quote Wayne Rainey, “We want it to be a low-cost, step-in class that kids can come and race and families can be a part of the championship. We can see the talent and where it goes from there. Then they can go through our structure from that point." He also stated about the Junior Cup, "The class is important to us because our future champions, and hopefully future World Champions, are racing in it. It promises to be entertaining and it’s always fun to see the young riders progress as the season goes on.”

So, ten years ago when most of the other competitors in Junior Cup were 4 to 6 years old putting around on PW50's if they were lucky, Cody raced in the national professional road racing series against the likes of Joey Pascarella, Thomas Puerta, Tyler O'Hara, J.D. Beach, Cameron Beaubier, James Rispoli, Corey Alexandar, Jake Lewis, Hayden Gillim, Elena Myers, Garrett Gerloff, Richie Escalante, Dustin Dominguez, Kaleb De Keyrel, Hayden Schultz, Jason Aguilar, Darren James, Eziah Davis and others. Can anyone imagine any rider in this list being granted a Junior Cup license today? For that matter, could a fast, successful expert club racer with racing experience on 600's obtain a Junior Cup license? Doubtful. And that's the reason for the frustration.

FastByKids likes this.
  4. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

Overheard exactly this the other weekend at Road ATL. Super duper dad told crew dude ( with racer son sitting right there) " he'll just do what he can" because XXX shop didn't do their engine and they had K brand suspension instead of O.
    So the kid already dropped 10 positions mentally before even getting on the track. FRAK !!!

5. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I’ll try one more time.... engines are not deciding races in that class... look at the last lap at ATL.

If those riders are getting motored then they need to learn how to get the right drives for the right drafts. They all have enough power for that, we’re talking lawn mower power here...

If you want to see the most blatant sight of power disparity then watch the last lap of Daytona in the bagger class and or the 200. That is engine, and some of the most brilliant jobs of those riders to get the most out of their package at the right time that many of us have ever seen. This is done by pros, against pros,experienced guys. Those guys did great and only half of us even called them out, it was brilliant on their part.

Kids classes need to come with muzzles for all involved. You never heard Earl complain about unfair engines.

Gino230, tophyr, DDK732 and 6 others like this.
  6. 27

27 Well-Known Member

That sucks and I’ve been way to close to a few of those programs and had to correct them. It’s difficult and the parents are usually the worst part of those programs. Sucks

ToofPic likes this.
  7. FastByKids

Why should any shop "have to do a engine". Why can't a stock engine be able to compete without being cracked? Is this really the spirit and vison Wayne Rainey had? BTW, I've been hearing conversations much like that the last two years.

Honest question.

8. Knarf Legna

I've said it before in other threads, Gus' 400 motor is 100% stock with a good tune, the bike has the WSS300 kit, KTech suspension. There's nothing more that can be done with it, anyone who believes that his motor is magical is dreaming. We've actually had to drop ballast this year because he grew so much over the winter. Which is fine by me, no more need to do the liters to kilos conversion for fuel.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  9. FastByKids

I'm not sure what a WSS300 kit is? Hats off to you if your engine hasn't been cracked! Would you be willing to post your dyno chart? Hayden and Parker's dyno was posted a few pages back. Curious to see how they stack up.

10. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Interesting arguments about waving/standing etc. But remember the rule is to protect the down rider AND CORNER WORKERS. You know the folks that make it possible for little personal gain. Unfortunately I still remember when one was lost at Barber. Not something we should repeat those folks are gold (and before anyone nags so was the lady lost that day also)

27 and pickled egg like this.
  11. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Hey man, I don’t know you, and I’m not taking digs at you. I’m explaining this because I’ve been there. As a rider, as a team owner. I’ve had the best engine builders you could buy, until they all had the same problem, then I built them better and faster and more reliable than the entire industry. This is because there are few real builders, lots of builders and everyone knows everyone’s numbers.

As a rider I thought I had to have x y or z when it turns out I needed V and V is an unknown connection and feeling that can’t be taught and only achieved with the proper mindset and time on the bike. Not all bikes work for all riders and vice versa, and not all riders have talent, some do, some learn, some never will.

But believing you can’t do anything is true no matter what the reason. But constantly placing blame on cost of engine builds is an excuse. Get the numbers from someone, buy the gaskets and bearings and cut the valves and teach your riders every step. That would make a huge boost in moral and confidence and be a life lesson to last forever. I assure you that no engine builder is doing anything special that can’t be done in your garage and a trip to your local machine shop for $100.

Good luck and most of all have fun! You can do it man!

badmoon692008 likes this.
  12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You have software that can correct the disparity between two dynos in different locations at a different time?

13. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I always love to hear rumors of my illegal engines. I’ve made announcements begging for protests as we could take the team out for dinner on that money. ;

Gino230 likes this.
  14. FastByKids

I've already stated I'm dyno ignorant. All I care about is the base and the end result. However I have a contact that could help me out greatly. If I'm equal of more compared to a know good setup than I'll shut up. But I'm sure any top 5 bike is going to be over 43-44hp.

If all I need is a WSS300 kit and a tuner whom might be better than the one I used then hot dang!

15. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Just remember goal should be to have fun and make memories.

Don’t worry about engines no matter where you race just get out there and have fun!

16. Knarf Legna

WSS300 kit == https://soloengineering.com/product/wss300-control-electronics-kit/.

I never said the motor has never been opened, I said it's 100% stock. We at Innovative Motorcycle Research originally disassembled the motor, weighing and measuring critical components as is our usual practice before a race season. We reassembled, adjusted the cams, installed the WSS300 kit, and tuned it on our dyno.

Since then IMR has made a strategic move into the UTV market and we don't do much with motorcycles any longer. Triple Strong Racing now maintains the motor in the bike and I'm confident Mike has continued to keep the motor 100% stock. I'm not the team owner so I'm not at the liberty to post dyno charts without permission, I'll check.

17. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Cheater :D

18. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Dynojet sells that software

19. FastByKids

Thank you for being polite and courteous.

I think this is the norm for a podium bike.

As I said, just don't have the spend to do something like that. I'm not sure Hayden could ride with Gus but being on a bike knowing that was equal she would make it very entertaining!

This is the price to compete in Jr Cup.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What Frank described doesn't mean that his bike is faster than yours. It's all luck of the draw.

I once had a Kawasaki ZX-9R that was ungodly fast. In those days, I used to hang out occasionally with Rickey Gadson at the dragstrip and let him use it to show me something. He could not believe it was in stock. I did not even have a slip-on. He also had one at the time, complete with all your basic superstock mods that wasn't faster than mine.

ToofPic, Boman Forklift and 27 like this.