1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motoamerica 2017 Rule Changes

Discussion in 'General' started by jeffr1ey, Aug 5, 2016.

1. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Some good changes but it shouldn't be for 2017, instead for 2018. The rule book needs to stay uniform and consistent with more lead up to changes. yeah, 8 months is an excellent amount of time but 20 months is better.

That's just nitpicking.

jeffr1ey likes this.
  3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Interesting....so SSTK 1000 will be a bit closer to what the current MA Superbike is from a chassis perspective (clamps, linkages, larger fuel tanks) but I'm guessing engine and electronics stay stock-ish.

And MA Superbike will be allowed to use works aftermarket forks again as well as aftermarket swingers like the pre-DMG says. Interesting decisions. $$$

I like it, for myself I like to see race bikes that are more factory than showroom.

418, jeffr1ey and lonewrench like this.
  4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I like it. It opens the door for more wildcard stuff. How cool would it be to have WSBK teams on the grid for Daytona? (assuming they find a way to have that race under the MA banner again)

lonewrench likes this.
  5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The forks were my biggest bitchfest about the current superbikes. I hope they add a claiming rule to keep costs in check and encourage teams to claim 'em.

6. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Forks are following the WSBK price caps.

7. lonewrench

lonewrench Mr.Charles

There is a price cap on the forks, shock and electronics.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Thanks Chuck, missed that in my first read. :)

9. lonewrench

lonewrench Mr.Charles

The caps are actually FIM caps, you can find them in the FIM rule book . Funny thing is, most of the pricing is far less than it used to be. Still pricey but no where near gouging.

10. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I think the MASBK to WSBK rules is fantastic. I would love to see a wildcard or something from the top MA guys or similar because of it. I am curiously about the SSTK change though. Does it move towards FIM STK1000 or away from it in terms of bike spec?

11. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

I agree with you to a degree, but I also think the KRAVE group has been painfully obvious about their intentions of following FIM/WSBK rules all along.

I would also love to see them transition the 600s into one class like they've done on the world stage, but I can see there being pushback from the key player in the game (purely speculation).

You know what else wouldn't suck? Seeing a team buy this years WSBK Ducatis or Kawasakis and lining them up on the grid for next year!

12. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Pretty fucking stupid they didn't fix the two 600 classes....

Guess having 5-6 bikes in a class is what they want...

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Why? With two classes, the big guys can have their championship claims, then the privateers can have theirs. Do you think the privateer teams would have as much luck drawing sponsors if it was pretty much guaranteed that they'd never finish higher than 6th on any given race?

Now what WOULD be stupid would be to continue two classes if the big teams started running stk600 factory teams in addition to their current bikes.

14. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

I am ok with 2 classes just wish they would run at different times, not for my sake , but for new fans who don't understand.

15. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I think the rules changes are idiotic. All they are doing is take the two 1000cc classes and increasing the cost to compete in them. The Superbike class is already a joke with only two teams able to beat the top Superstock bikes. The Superbike grid is embarrassing. So hey, lets make it cost even more to run a superbike. That makes total sense. And while we are at it, lets make the superstock bikes cost more now too. Dumb in my opinion.

16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Oh come on now...What else would Greg White have to talk about? :D

17. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

What would you suggest?
    Nobody including MA likes seeing 6 supersport bikes on the grid. If the other manufacturers had at least some involvement the grid size would double.
    Triumph pulled out, Kawi pulled out, Honda pulled out. Not sure what support M4 gets but I assume you could call them a Suzuki satellite team.

You have to have a step class to allow the kids coming up to get some 600 experience. Even WSBK has a 600 sstk class.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Or are the superstock teams requesting mods to correct glaring deficiencies in a stock bike (like brakes on a gsxr), which then means superbikes get a bump to keep the margin between the classes wide enough?

19. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Not anymore. This year, Superstock600 was dropped for the Euro SS championship. So, the underclass for 600s races w the exact same technical regulations as WSS, just only at the European rounds. This keeps costs down for the teams and gives the fast kids in that great TV time since they seem to be top 10 in WSS.

20. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

That's interesting. Still a separate race?