1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MOTO-ST At Iowa Speedway fiasco

Discussion in 'General' started by Phat Chance, Jul 14, 2007.

1. derby369

derby369 Well-Known Member

my guess is that chris runs his own team and can make his own decisions.

2. svstinker

svstinker Well-Known Member

I got no beef with you bro. However, what he wrote combined with the "S.A.F.E.R." acronym could easily be mistaken to imply that this new track is safe for motorcycles.

3. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Yeah, you know, you're right. Saying that SAFER isn't concrete is implying that a track is safe for motorcycles. I definitely think you're on to something with that.

JU, commence with the execution, please.

4. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

http://images.google.com/images?q=ball+peen+hammer

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  5. Knarf Legna

Errr, no they're not.

6. Knarf Legna

Hey, Dawn, check this out, Iowa has no concrete at all in their walls. First time that's been done.

7. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Nice save, Frank! :clap:

8. Knarf Legna

I am impervious to Chuckie's drive-bys. :D

9. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

There you go again, saying the track is completely safe for MC racing and the riders are chicken shit for complaining! :D

10. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

The original safer barrier at Indy was concrete.

11. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

How much energy will a safer barrier absorb?

12. Knarf Legna

You never pass up an opportunity to be wrong, do you? Congratulations.

http://www.indy500.com/news/story.php?story_id=4188

"Speedway crews have replaced the original Steel and Foam Energy Reduction (SAFER) Barrier on the outside retaining wall of the Speedway oval’s four turns with a “Version 2” of the barrier."

http://www.racingwest.com/news/story.php3/3785/index.htm

"The only damage to the SAFER system from McGehee's heavy impact were gouges to the steel tubes welded together that form the unified element of the wall, said Kevin Forbes, Indianapolis Motor Speedway director of engineering and construction."

Geez, I wonder why they named the original concrete barriers SAFER? What did the "S" stand for if not steel? Maybe they really meant CAFER and just misspelled it.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  13. Knarf Legna

Don't know, why don't you call and find out for us?

14. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Come on prove how your the smartest in the room?

15. Knarf Legna

Well, I'll be.

"Lincoln, Nebraska -- The University of Nebraska's Midwest Roadside Safety Facility, a research organization focusing on all aspects of highway design and safety, have developed a new Steel, Titanium, Urethane, Polyethylene Idtio and Dumbass Energy Reduction (STUPIDER) barrier. Under development since 2000, STUPIDER is designed to absorb energy when beating your head against the wall when dealing with idtios and dumbasses, thus giving the BBS member a better chance of survival. The research facility, receiving some funding from the Midwest Regional Pooled Fund program, has engaged the WERA BBS as the first test bed for the new technology.

The technology is the brainchild of Dr. Dean L. Sicking, a civil engineering professor at the University of Nebraska at Lincoln, who is one of the world's leading independent researchers on barrier and crash safety. Through the years, Dr. Sicking has made enormous contributions to roadside safety research, helping advance the study of safety equipment and cutting edge development on a variety of safety innovations that have saved many lives on highways at home and abroad. His work by extension includes the study and analysis of vehicle crashes. He plans on extending this safety technology to common everyday situations, especially those experienced on Internet bulleting boards.

According to sources, STUPIDER will be deployed by the Fall of 2007, and following an evaluation of the level of success, may commercially available soon after."

16. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

great come back Frank, you have obvious have no idea.

17. Knarf Legna

You're absolutely right, Chuckie. :D

18. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

How does a rigid steel support differ from rigid concrete wall?? :)

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

He doesn't have to be the smartest in the room, just smarter than you.:D

20. Knarf Legna

Well, one way is steel is spelled with an "S", and concrete is spelled with a "C". As in those concrete SAFER barriers.