1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mosquito Murdering Devices or Services

Discussion in 'General' started by SnacktimeKC, May 7, 2018.

1. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

I want to get ahead of the little phuckers this year, and I don't want to coat myself in bug spray every time I go have a beer in the yard. FWIW I've got a small yard in Kansas City, MO roughly 6200 square feet.
    This is one of the more popular services in town, anybody used a like service? It's $200 up front then $69.00 every three weeks according to a neighbor who just signed up. https://mosquitojoe.com
    Or, has anybody used one of these type devices? http://www.mosquitomagnet.com/store/mosquito-magnet-trap
    Other ideas?

2. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

We used arrow for years. Very pleased... They use a modified leaf blower too now

3. Fogger. Lasts a couple weeks and works great in my yard. I’m surrounded by woods and a creek and last 3 years since I started doing it works great.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

If you neighbor signs up, his mosquitoes will move...perhaps to your property.

SnacktimeKC likes this.
  5. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Napalm...

[​IMG]

Pixelator and Sabre699 like this.
  6. They sure will. Battle of the neighbors happens often. Those bastards will just move, to my neighbors yard :)

7. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

We stayed at a house in Rockport, MA that had about 3 or 4 of these dispersed through out the 1.5+/- ac. property. They seemed to work brilliantly. From what we could tell, a number of the adjacent properties also had them deployed. Generally speaking, the little bloodsuckers don't bother me in the least (professional courtesy?), however, my wife is like a piece of filet mignon to skeeters and ends up looking like a pincushion. At the end of each night being out on the property in Rockport, she didn't have one bite. In the morning time I looked inside the catcher part, and there were hundreds (maybe thousands?) of dead skeeter bodies. The down side is they're pricey to buy, and cost $$$ to run (in propane). That said, we're going to buy one or two of these for our new place sometime this summer.

8. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Wisdom TC Flowable from Tractor Supply. About $25 and the same stuff the pro lawn guys will spray all over your yard. It works very well.

peakpowersports likes this.
  9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The reviews online are not glowing. They do not work for everyone, everywhere. Try one, add more if the first one is effective.

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

11. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

This. You wont have anything living on your lawn/property. They say wait a bit to put it down (I think till June?) but I do it now, then again in mid June then again in the fall. I finally convinced all my neighbors to get on board with Wisdom as well and that helped out a ton.

With your small lot size, getting the neighbors to participate in your plan is going to be key.

12. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

What type of fogger are you using? Are there siffediff chemicals to use? Never looked in to one, so not sure how they work.

13. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

That's essentially just another Bifen product, which works amazingly well, but the stuff kills EVERYTHING. Including bees, and all sorts of other critters that you actually want in your yard. I avoid it at all costs.

I use these, and they work very well.

[​IMG]

14. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Build a bat house.

SnacktimeKC likes this.
  15. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

Trust me, I'm not looking for an excuse to spend the $$$ (highly counter productive to the racing program). To be honest, I kind of wish the skeeters had eaten her alive. But I gotta tell ya, the fact that she had no bites and the number of dead skeeters in the thing was amazing. I don't think its a "try one, add more later" type of thing. These things seems to work well when you deploy/use them in an overall plan/system meant to draw the skeeters away from the area you'll be spending time, and kill them. Like I mentioned, at the house we stayed at, they had 3 or 4 of these things strategically placed around the deck & gardens in the backyard of this place, about 10' or so into the woods. If I had to guess, this might be part of the problem with the "less than stellar" reviews (though I haven't read through all the reviews) ... people buy one and think no more skeeters on my 2 ac lot ... I don't think that's the case. Similar to BigBird, we have a creek at the back of the property and many trees around ... so given our deck/patio, my best guess is I'll need probably 3 units to keep the suckers out.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

And start a thread about getting rid of bats.

SethG and Sabre699 like this.
  17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I looked at the percentage of low reveiew
    I hope it works at your home as well as it did where you visited. When just over 50% of purchasers recommend a product I tend to be skeptical.

18. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Well yeah, of course. That's the way we do things around here.

19. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

Understand and appreciate the cautionary warning. I hope it works too . . . happy wife, happy life. At least I will have tried. :D

By the way, research shows that people with Type O blood (my wife) are twice as attractive to mosquitoes than those with Type A blood (me). So she's my "mosquito magnet" device. Another interesting tidbit, at least one study has shown that significantly more mosquitoes landed on study participants after drinking a 12-ounce beer than before. Damn blood thirsty little lushes....

20. David-imoddavid

David-imoddavid Well-Known Member

Yeah same here. Wife is O- and I'm B+ . Buggers chew her up but seldom bother me. We use the clip on OFF thing when on the patio. Has a fan that runs on batteries and has a changeable bait insert. Works pretty well.