1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More proof CA is full of morons

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

California is definitely a little wacky, but I remember when I was transferred out here at the end of 89, it was then too.

I actually didn’t want to move here, high cost of housing, earthquakes, weirdos, politics, etc. I worked for a very small software company, around 100 employees at the time and I was the 5th employee. They were having trouble in this area with sales. So I came out and didn’t really like it for a year or so, but then I really fell in love with the weather and how there is so much to do. I loved when working on my motorcycle or a car, pretty much anything you need is available nearby.

My wife is born and raised here as are my kids. Both kids now live out of state, so who knows?

I do know how much I hate winter. I’m surprised @JBraun the Wisconsin boy, could escape winter by living in S. Cal, and even consider living in Colorado, Idaho, or any of those other cold ass states you nuts are discussing!!! :crackup:

2. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Winter isn't bad if you experience it every year. Just gets old by March 1.

Once you've moved to where winter doesn't happen, it gets hard to move back.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  3. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

I've been in Denver for 11 years and agree with this. I'm trying to get the fiance on a 5 year or less exit plan. This place is very one sided, and it's become much more obvious in the past year. I hope it does become the next California so that my property continues to skyrocket out of control and I can sell it for some other overpriced piece of shit in the northwest.

SGVRider likes this.
  4. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

When I retired early 7 years ago and spent my first winter in Ft. Lauderdale , I was like , this is nice ... and haven’t had another Cold Winter since !

rpj, beac83 and Boman Forklift like this.
  5. Boman Forklift

I just remember being tired of winter by the time winter officially starts on Dec 21st. It had already been cold enough and snowed enough in Illinois so I was over it.

That’s one of the things I really liked about Dallas Texas. I joked you get 1 month of Fall, 1 month of winter, 1 month of spring, and 9 wonderful months of summer. Even though Dallas, Texas summers are hot, they are much better than an Illinois humid summer. Now Houston is super humid too, so I don’t think I would have liked that nearly as much as Dallas.

In the end, I’m just a whiney little bitch, because my parents and sister have survived all these years in Illinois and @beac83 still loves the place.

6. Boman Forklift

I bet you see it. We have some friends that bought a place with 10-15 acres in Pagosa Springs Colorado for $3-400k about 3-4 years ago.

This winter they vacationed for Christmas and noticed the house across the street for sale. It was listed for 1.1 mil. They called the real estate agent and asked what their place was worth? The agent said I believe I can get you 1.4, so they listed it, and it closed in February for 1.4 million.

They were totally shocked and didn’t have plans of selling, but figured how can they not take advantage of that large profit.

tecknojoe likes this.
  7. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

:eek:

8. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Well, if I turn left when leaving house I take SxS or Jeep. Wife turns right and she drives Audi :)

9. Boman Forklift

I'm in the office working and listening to the radio. They just announced in Colorado today they are expecting at least another foot of snow and asked everyone to stay home. Additional snow accumulation 8-12 inches in Denver, Boulder, Loveland and Fort Collins. Two feet of additional snow in the Foothills. 10-15 inches of additional snow across the Palmer Divide. Snow tapers off late tonight.

That's why I'm not man enough to go live there. I will wimp out and live somewhere that doesn't snow so much.

It was 79 in Dallas yesterday, 74 today and 80 Monday and Tuesday. Only low 60's today in S. Cal expected 60-70's all week, and 79-80 in Miami all this week. I just assumed you left Wisconsin because you too were tired of snow?

Have fun in Colorado, and lets get together before you leave. I remember reading you bought another race bike, maybe I can go pit bitch for you sometime before you go?

10. Boman Forklift

Where did you go? I figure we maybe leaving in the next 5 years and Florida is a place I would consider.

11. motoracer1100

I now winter in Homosassa/ Crystal River area , On the Gulf side. I’m about a mile from the water . I like the area, great fishing and Kayaking area . And most importantly, it’s an affordable place to live . Low taxes and housing cost isn’t crazy

12. Boman Forklift

Thank you. Affordability is definitely one of the reasons I will look at leaving. We think we want to live somewhere we can take a boat or jet skis from our house, so when the eventual grand kids come, we can have some water fun. My wife always kind of wanted a boat, but our recreational $ were spent on motorcycle racing for our son and dancing for our daughter.

I know boats are best if owned by your friend and it is another way to throw money into a black hole and burn it. I think I want something we could water ski behind, so that may mean a lake versus going out onto the gulf? I know out here in California I wouldn't really want to water ski in the ocean and don't have a desire to own a large boat to go on the ocean out here.

13. motoracer1100

There are 3 rivers that flow into the Gulf down here in Citrus County . There are also numerous inland lakes that could accommodate what you are looking for in regards to boating and Jet Skiing. Check out a map of the area and make your choices

14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It's Florida. A new lake happens everytime they build a new building. Dig down 2 feet and find water..

15. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

When the Atlantic and the Gulf can no longer endure to be separated I'll have beach front property here on the Georgia border. :D

16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I have to eat crow a bit on that one. When I moved from WI people told me I would miss the seasons. I laughed because all it ever meant to me was that the weather was turning from good to shitty. Oddly enough I miss the seasons.

For some reason my brain likes those markers to divide the year. No idea why.

Also winter can be fun. I went on coyote hunting (eradication) trip with a friend in Montana a few winters back and was shocked at how awesome it was to camp in a heated tent an hour by snowmobile to the middle of nowhere at 10k’ of elevation. Strange for a guy who has spent many of his mornings surfing over the last few years. :D

Boman Forklift and jrsamples like this.
  17. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Absolutely! I’ll keep you in the loop on what weekends I’ll be out.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

40 through there is one of my favorite parts of driving to west coast races.

socalrider and JBraun like this.
  19. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Yeah, but mild in the winter usually means uninhabitable in the summer....

20. motoracer1100

When you become a Snowbird , you don’t miss the seasons you get more of them .. I do the Michigan to Florida thing every year now .. I get fall in Michigan , then just as it’s ending I hit the road , and I get Fall again in say Kentucky/ Tennessee. Get to Florida at the end of their summer and get Fall one more time .. Winter in Central Florida is 3 weeks from the time the leaves fall off and the new ones start to come out . Then repeat the same for 3 Springs and a nice summer in Michigan. Wouldn’t have it any other way :D

Funkm05 and JBraun like this.