1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More aerodynamics?

Discussion in 'General' started by fastfreddie, Sep 1, 2020.

1. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

They tested the dimple theory on Myth Busters(if I recall correctly). They covered a car in clay, tested MPG, then cut dimples into the clay and tested it again. They found an increase in MPG.

Funkm05 likes this.
  2. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Maybe Arai should come out with a dimpled helmet since they are pretty close to round!
    :D

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

Can we put a golf ball on a treadmill to test it?

auminer likes this.
  4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

You jest, but helmets may be a better place to explore the possibility of any benefits.

Sabre699 likes this.
  5. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

Fighter jets don't have dimples...i think there was a test plane once with thousands of holes drilled into the wings... No significant performance increase at all...much maintenance though as all those holes needed cleaning after every flight.

6. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Nah..needs to be in a hovercraft on a moving train.

7. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

I think dimples in your helmet will eventually apply dimples to your skull.

8. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

9. fastfreddie

Supersonic speeds exceed the parameters within which dimples have effect.

10. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Jets already have a form that the dimples are trying to replicate.

11. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I will volunteer to help any racer Dimple their tanks. Free of charge.

12. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

The open face guys had 'em...

upload_2020-9-1_13-15-56.jpeg

TurboBlew and Phl218 like this.
  13. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Speed holes. Makes it go faster.

[​IMG]

14. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

in racing, helmets likely see unmodified flow only during braking when the rider pops up. dimples might make a measurable difference then... but you want to slow down so whats the point. all other times, the helmet is likely already getting modified somewhat turbulent air. so theres probably no need for dimples.

we cant forget about relative magnitudes here. dimples on a golfball reduce drag by a significant percentage, maybe as high as 50%. this has a comparable effect in performance because drag is the primary component. there no way in hell dimples on a motorcycle or helmet will have anywhere close to that affect. id guess a 0.1% change in drag (or less), which is an even smaller performance change because theres so much more that goes into racing performance. if Yamaha had the choice of spending 100 man-hours researching and implementing dimples vs increase their engine performance, they absolutely should go with engine performance.

15. fastfreddie

You're lacking capitalist imagination..."Three wacks for a dollar!"

It's amazing how difficult it is to damage a motorcycle with a sledge hammer, but one toss down the track and they virtually explode. Kinda gives ya an insight to the forces at work...

16. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Even flow by Pearl jam?

17. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Honda had the stickers with zigzag threads at Daytona years back

Stumpy likes this.
  18. fastfreddie

Enzo Ferrari would agree - "Aerodynamics are for people that can't build engines."
    You might want to have chosen a different manufacturer to make your point, tho'. :D

19. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

That wasn't quite the same as dimples. They were trying to control the boundary layer and keep the flow attached though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundary_layer_suction

20. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

We know Yamaha's engine performance is teh suk right now. That was the point though. In racing, it is often better to improve your disadvantages over furthering your advantages as that will gain more performance due to diminishing returns. Pursuing an unknown might be worse, or you could get lucky and it could be better.