1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ML75 Tire pressures for XR?

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by cajun636, Feb 27, 2014.

1. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

Mount up some BT45 and set them at 16-18 hot. Your collar bones will thank you.

3. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I know Cam the 75's threw me down three times already lol.

Hey Do you have BBR springs?

4. Cam Morehead

Leave the stock springs and add a 3/4"-1" long spacer to add preload. Add a few more CC's of fork oil to lessen the travel length. If you get it too stiff, it will chatter and throw you on the ground. If you leave it a little soft, it will squish around but will stay glued to the track....

BTW, I have not sold any motorcycle parts in 2 years. I took a job that consumes most all of my time....

5. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Ahhh crap. I was asking about the shock. That thing is awful lol.

But thanks for the advice on the forks. I'll get some PVC.

6. MAZZ77X

MAZZ77X Well-Known Member

You run the that low huh? No issues with flats or rolling off?
    I noticed in another thread you ran GP slicks low as well........

7. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

We have to run the stock front wheels, so I don't know if that makes any difference. But I cut the progressive portion off the springs (about 4 inches), cut some spacers to make makeup the difference, and put 20 wt oil in. Not a single bit of chatter or wabble. The front end is stable as can be and sticks like glue with BT45's.

8. Cam Morehead

I ran 21/19 in my full size SuperMoto bikes. I only run 26/24 in my 630. I have had one flat in 14 years.

The 19 front does change the game.... I never invested much time trying to get them to handle well. We all run the 16 front.

9. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Yeah, I figured it would. The class I run in is all stock components, only mods are allowed are springs and oils. I am going to petition for fork swaps on the XR (I'm the only one left running one) to get a disk brake. All the bikes I race with are now ttr and drz, so I am at a deffinent disadvantage in braking.

10. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I ran ML75's at 18-20 psi, depending on weather and track conditions.

They squirm regardless of what pressure you run.

My endurance teammate managed :57's on the ML's whereas the fastest riders on BT45's dipped into the high :55's on the same race.

That said, I am not as fast as the front-runners, and my teammate was 11 years old. I can't say we were getting the max out of the ML's.

I have that set of tires (and tubes) for sale CHEAP if anyone wants 16" XR tires for occasional use. I mounted BT's for 2014, because I have to race against the experts now...

11. Cam Morehead

You would be better off to petition for you to have a 16" rim versus putting disc brakes on a stock XR with a 19".....JMHO.

12. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Cam what spring for the shock. I heard get a BBR and spring and put it on and leave it alone.

13. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

The stock shock and spring. Unless you're 200+

14. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

15. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about aftermarket shocks, but from what i know about the spring it's either a love it or hate it feel with it. meaning its really easy for the really stiff rear shock to overwhelm the forks. and it's a pain in the ass to install from what i'v heard :crackup:

16. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Well that settles that then lol. It's a $600 bike. I aint dumping any money in it.

17. Cam Morehead

If you are over 200 pounds, get the BBR front and rear. Run a little higher pressure too. Use HD tubes, not MX tubes. You can make a spring removal tool or buy one. Not a big deal to get the shock spring off if you have mechanical abilty. JMHO

18. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

I fought the rear spring on the 100 for a few hours before finally throwing in the towel. The Honda dealer was the only shop that had a compressor short enough to get it off. Of course I had to teach their "master mechanic" how to use it...

19. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Ahhhh crap. I'm 200 with gear and 185 without. I'll get some springs eventually. Tires will probably come first though.

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Will I get a rematch then?:D:beer: