1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minimum wage?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by gpz11, Sep 5, 2014.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

He doesn't seem to want to try you on this one. But your real world knowledge means nothing in the idealistic theoretical world!:D

2. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

i want to be the princess in the jaba the hut slave get up!!

3. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I wanted to but the line was too long.:moon:

4. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

They should tie MW to inflation... that way it is easy to calculate each year what happens.

We should not have to have this type of conversation every few years...

Having said that...I still don't see MW as a "living wage" that is not the point of Minimum wage...no matter how many times somebody says it.

5. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

6. cgordon3

:stupid:

7. I have real world knowledge on the subject too. In my retail store, I always paid my employees more than minimum wage. I sold my half to my partner, but it's still there (15 plus years), still profitable, and guess what, the employees still get more than minimum wage.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

What type of store? Fast food?

9. Raising it to $10 now, and then tying it to inflation in the future is a good solution in my book.

10. Men's clothes. I doubt we had as much markup in our products as McDonalds does.

11. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

damn i take a few hour nap and this thread is almost 4 pages. and i have my page settings to show the maximum amount of posts. get to work slackers! what are you waiting for a wage hike? :D

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Depends on discount or high end. I would say McDonalds is working on a smaller margin.

13. cgordon3

Just tie it now and be done with it... $10/hr will come soon enough.

14. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Every working person/tradesman needs to pay attention to names when lawyers or anyone make these bold statements, this way if they ever wind up needing their services, they can randomly jack the price up and tell them, "They can afford to pay more".

NO.

Actually, it's not anywhere near being funny any longer, they've been complicit in helping ruin this nation for decades now.

:stupid: :up:

Poor poor business owner, maybe he'll have to settle for one less yeller Ferrari per yr.....boo hoo hoo, woe is me.

:crackup: :D :p

Dude....cmon, can't you muster up at least half of that ivy league education Daddy paid for, for a change......how stupid will your bloated self feel when we finally meet one day and you find yourself looking UP at me? :p

Why not?

:stupid:

Man, replies like this is what supports others in thinking you're BSC. You can honestly sit there and say if you worked somewhere busting your hump for every deserved pay increase over x amount of time and all of a sudden all the lazy mf'ers match your pay due to government intervention that you wouldn't make an argument to your employers that YOU worked harder and deserve a raise of similar % increase?
    Is that what you really want us to believe???

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

The irony here is that a $10/hr flunky actually costs more like $22/hr for a business to barely break even.

16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

You still did not respond to the Sheik on percentage of minimum wage increase and let him explain how it would affect his bottom line.

I would guess your store had higher margins. I am pretty sure fast food places rely on volume.

17. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Football scholarship...daddy didnt pay shit. Dont hate, Sicilian Dave K.

You posted your height here before...Its ok to be a short stack. :D

18. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I DID?!?!?
    If you say so fatty. :D

19. Howlie2

Howlie2 In middle-dodging traffic

I'm just going to spit ball here, but I assume that they are paid a wage above the federal mandated minimum because they earn it. In other words, the market dictates that the store pay $x in order to keep the valuable employees happy and working for the store. This wage makes them motivated to work hard and turn a profit for the store.

Now, imagine the government mandating that this store give all of the entry level (lowest wage earners) a 38% bump in salary. If nothing else changes, is the store still profitable?

My point is that wage increases happen because employees take on greater responsibility, turn over because they can get a better job elsewhere or they are being rewarded for outstanding performance.

None of that applies to the minimum wage increase. This only serves to increase the sense of entitlement.

20. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

I know, I might just have to give those cars up and get me an awesome jetta like you, and then bitch when i break it. :D

I mean lambo and jettas are the same right?