1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Militant Hikers...WTF

Discussion in 'General' started by STT-Rider, Jun 22, 2015.

1. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

So today I headed out for a mountain bike ride. Since its getting pretty darn hot down here, it's time to ride up higher in our local mountains. Navajo Lake is at 9400 and the lake loop goes on up to 10,400 and back down to 9500 a few times in 24 miles. First time this season at altitude to I'm in mellow mode.

I'm about six miles into what up until this point has been a solitary singletrack ride, haven't seen another person. I come upon a hiker from behind, so I slow down and ring my little bell as a courtesy.....nothing. Again followed by "hey there...passing on your left". I'm thinking maybe this guys is deaf. So as I get right up behind him and on his left he turns around and starts waving his sharp-pointed walking poles at me like some kind frigging deranged person.

I'm like.."hey WTH are you doing dude? All I want to do is go around you and enjoy my ride". He proclaims that he is a member of a militant hiking group and they are not tolerating bikers ruining their experience and desecrating the lands. Great...why do I get all the nutjobs????

2. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

You dont carry ccw with you mt biking? The second someone starts waving a pointy stick at me I'd take it as a threat.

Although you should had told him you were part of a militant bike group that want to rid the trails of smelly hippie hikers.

3. STT-Rider

Yes...and bear spray. I was just amazed by the level of batshit crazy in this dude. I'm trying to be more relaxed and mindful of my reactions to others. I almost gave him a face full of 29er and then decided to take the high road. I back tracked a bit, took another trail for a shorter but steeper ride and then let the air out of all four of his Prius's tires back at the trailhead.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Pave over that shit, throw up some town houses and f@ck you all!

5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Granola fight!

6. RndHoleSqPeg

RndHoleSqPeg Well-Known Member

You do live in Utah

7. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Plenty of dirt looks on some of the trails around here (east tn)but you usually don't see someone until last minute so it may scare them. militant hikers might be about as dangerous as militant dope smokers...

8. grantcarruthers

grantcarruthers Well-Known Member

Well played. Nut bag just bought an extra long hike

9. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

Last Spring I scared a Korean woman so bad she jumped across her other two walking buddies and into the bushes. I gave 'em all plenty of warning and several "on your lefts".

You shoulda gave him the peace sign right to both eyes, throat chopped him and shoved his pointy stick up his a$$. he started it.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'll bet that hiker is on some militant hiker BBS bitching about you and they are planning to crowd that trail with a bunch of smelly hippies.

11. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

There is batshit crazy everywhere these days, should have beat him with your bicycle and tossed him off the mountain. F*cking assholes.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  12. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Almost as bad as the Denali XL I found myself behind today with "iPaddle" and "iHike" stickers on the back glass.

Just begging for an "iGiveashit" addendum. :D

13. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Accuratized!

14. STT-Rider

I doubt he's home yet....

15. There was a guy with a hatchet on my local trails, a couple of years ago, that was harrasing mountain bikers, and punched one or two. He was literally insane and off his meds. He (~40 years old) got kicked out of his dad's house and started basically living on the one trail. Cops ignored the situation untill he threatened a pregnant woman.

16. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

Sounds like the hikers around here, I`m at the 1/2 way point of the Appalachian Trail & the home of the AT Museum, it`s like their Holy Land & the MFer`s think they everything in the surrounding area....I welcome the confrontations with the stinkin fuckers

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Did you start a thread in the dungeon about how the police mistreated him when they arrested him for threatening a pregnant woman with a hatchet?:Poke:

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Apparently mr hiker douche isn't quite sure what "militant" means. When they camo up and start setting claymores on the trail and sniping bikers I think they'd qualify ;)

19. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

After that girl got killed a few years ago up in Dahlonega on the Appalachian trail I'm sure someone wondering around with a hatchet around those parts wouldn't have lasted too long. Hopefully he got his situation figured out quick or got back on his meds.
    Bummer cops ignored it... ignore the dude w/ a hatchet harassing people... WTF!

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nail traps, piano wire and camouflaged pits were the tools of the ones in PA on national park land.

Opinion was that it might have been people paid to maintain the park to get rid of the mountain bikers and horse people but that was only opinions.