1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft question

Discussion in 'General' started by Shenanigans, Aug 21, 2013.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

In what way? The previous version are relatively trouble free and most businesses really don't benefit from upgrading at every edition. I suppose you could argue the tax aspect of a software lease vs depreciation.

2. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

2013 isn't horrible, but I'd be peeved if I had to pay more for it. I got some kind of deal through work that allows me to run it at home for $10, one time. No monthly or anything. I'm still not completely clear on whether I'm truly running it locally or from the cloud. The installer was weird, and much shorter than I expected. When I get a few minutes, I'm going to unplug from the 'net and see what, if anything, breaks.

Another clue is that 2010 did not uninstall/upgrade. Both exist on the computer right now. I don't remember previous versions of Office operating in that manner.

3. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Its the ease of planning your expenses and avoiding the upfront costs of purchasing the software (along with everything else) you need to continue doing business.

Plus you always have support if you need it.

4. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Didn't I say small and very large business? Not the middle. :rolleyes:

5. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Its not running from the cloud. Though it didn't install everything all at once so its possible if there is some feature you never use will need to be pulled down if you go to use it.

Previous Office did work side by side.

Besides ever thing that perhaps the Office guys made some advances in this area that aren't cloud related?

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Not for my business.

Shit, anything newer than 97 ~ 2003 office doesn't make any sense in business, I have to save everything for this version for 90% of my customers because they refuse to move past it.

7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It doesn't. If access to the product for an employee cost me $99 a year and the average life span of the office package on a PC is 3-5 years that puts us bright back at the price of a single Office 2010 Professional license.

It's the same financial pain just spread over 3 to 5 years.

Don't bring up the "You always get the latest version" argument either. I get that now with my eOpen licensing. Microsoft is the worst company on the planet when it comes to licensing for their products.

8. Gorecki

Gorecki verwirrt und orientierung

I wouldn't go as far as to say that. I'm just now imaging a batch of laptops for a startup that when I said Win8 and Office 2013 got an resounding, 'oh, hell no!' and went with Win7 and 2010. And documentation is pretty much what these people do.

9. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

I need to know how to defeat bitlocker on my Asus laptop. There's a lot of dirty videos on there and I can't remember my password. :-(

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Windows 8 is shit. I tried to like it but it is currently total f@ckin' steaming, stinking, in the hot sun SHIT.

Needless to say, I don't like 8. :D

11. earacing

earacing Race Dad

If we were a hundred times larger I still wouldn't want to incur that kind of annual expense, and I didn't when we were small.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We are small - it's useless for us.

13. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It only makes sense to people inside the campus.