1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Michigan's Grattan Raceway up for sale"

Discussion in 'General' started by Once a Wanker.., Nov 9, 2023.

1. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Oh man.. you gotta drive through Kansas then. There’s no more of an empty state with less scenery that that one… I swear you could fall asleep for 2 hours on 70, wake up and feel like your in the same place.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Sounds like you’ve never traversed I-80 through Nebraska.

Once a Wanker.. and skidooboy like this.
  3. 27

27 Well-Known Member

:crackup:Same view for sure…

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  4. 27

27 Well-Known Member

It’s a good thing you took the southern trek… and Iowa is all continuous rolling hills it seems… but yeah once you come down the west side of Appalachia even hills seem flat… until Denver at least :D

And I can relate and thought it was just the mountains but now I know it’s more… I think that some of us are more in tune to the magnetic fields that we are subjected to and pre programmed to feel that comfort of “home” our history said our people were born in Kituwa who knows maybe we were…

because I’ve been to 40 countries and have way more favorite geographic areas than the Smokey’s but feel at home more there than anywhere… when I returned and first spent months at a time on the Qualla Boundary I hated that the sun came up so late and set so early, Cherokee is in a valley, but I still felt at home… my kin moved out of the valley to the west side of Appalachia last generation but it feels the same to me…

interesting stuff :)

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well you'd have to be seriously rich to expand T1 since you'd need to buy and/or move Lessiter Rd :D

JJJerry, Once a Wanker.. and 969 like this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Honestly yep, it's not horrible and if you look at it as a track just imagine what buying even cornfields and then building the terrain they have there into it would cost.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The similarities between true Appalachian and true Cajun are pretty interesting. First time I ever heard Justin Wilson on tv I did a double take thinking it was my grandfather from South Charleston West by God. Obviously it didn't last long once he got into full Cjaun accent but a lot of the words/tones and especially the cadence of how he spoke were almost creepy.

JBall and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  8. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Do they even run the motocross track that much?

9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Put airfence there and seriously how many bikes have hit the wall at 1 over the years? Or shorten the front straight and redo the transition to 2, there should be enough room.
    And while you're at it add airfence to the last corner coming on the straight? Or reverse track direction permanently?

Nick_OMC and R/T Performance like this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Personally if I had the money and needed to fix Grattan I'd change T1 entirely as you said, shorten the front straight and adjust the angle to 2.

We run all events clockwise, way more riders prefer it. I'd love more airfence in a few spots but T10 could be better with some rearranging of angles via fill dirt and pavement.

Nick_OMC and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

It was super busy for a while but i think that they lost interest

12. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Justin Wilson speaks Oxford English compared to a deep swamp dwelling Cajun, though. My grandmother re-married when I was ~12, had lived in Louisiana all 12. When we went to the Soileau compound, I couldn't understand half the folks there.

Damn good eatin' though!

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh yeah I know there's a huge difference, especially if they're talking full on creole.

14. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Not like it couldn't be done. Throw enough money at the county and they'd do it. I seem to recall a bike or two making it over the berm on to Lessiter, so it's not a bad idea.

I still think Grattan is one of the best track layouts in the country.

15. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Reverse the direction permanently????? Blasphemer!! For me, NATTARG was never as fun as the RIGHT way. Fixing T1 without buying the road is possible, but would ruin that corner for me. I love the width of it, and all the different lines you could use. Last corner onto the straight is a tough fix, though you could change the uphill right to allow for a better angle onto the straight.

R/T Performance and 27 like this.
  16. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I like Grattan better CCW, I was slightly faster that way.

5axis and 27 like this.
  17. 27

27 Well-Known Member

there is a lurker on here, that was a fast guy, that had a brake caliper fall off when his mechanic didn’t tighten it… or wire it obviously… I think his bike made it onto Lessiter iirc… scary stuff for sure…

I’ve probably crashed in every corner at Grattan… both directions…. Twice each way :D yet I’ve never thought any corner was dangerous… probably blinded from how much I like the place…

I’ve only hit two guardrails in the decades I raced… one in turn 3 at Barber in 04, and one in turn 4 at Grattan in 98… I followed the bike at Barber and luckily didn’t get too hurt… I was nowhere close to it at Grattan as it ghost rode/slid into it … I had to buy another GSXR600 at Grattan that day and made enough on it Sunday to pay for it… 04 I had to rebuild R6 all beat up and sore and won the endurance class that day and 2nd overall… made way more than triple the repair cost in the endurance…. Man I miss the great contingency paying years…

18. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Folks are mostly decent in Des Moines, but the best people in Iowa live out in the country, for the most part. You'll definitely experience some 'Iowa nice' in the smaller communities.

19. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I can't say I've crashed at every corner there. After my first season, I think I only crashed 1 or 2 more times in all the years I went there. My rider's school was there, and we came up the day before for an open track day, and I crashed right after the jump. Almost crashed at a pretty high speed coming through the kink...juuuuusst managed to miss the trees and got back on track at the hairpin. T4....I've seen quite a few bikes hit that guardrail. And of course the aforementioned berm shot at T1.

27 likes this.
  20. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I've spent the past couple of days walking around as do a fair amount of people. The weather is good at the moment. As far as cities go it's not bad, doesn't appear crowded, there are some nice things to see and there is a great variety of places to eat. I've been pleasantly surprised.