1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MICHELIN to be MotoGP supplier in 2016.. follow up to Bridgesone bowing out..

Discussion in 'General' started by MELK-MAN, May 23, 2014.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Next time pal. Next time.

[​IMG]

2. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Press release says they are going to 17"

3. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

4. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

You know watching the last MotoGP round I made a comment that I hadn't even noticed a Bridgestone sign/ad and it was around lap 4 or so. I do understand that the other classes are on Dunlop's but MotoGP is the main show and if I was Bridgestone I certainly would not of been happy with the "exposure" that Bridgestone got being the "official tyre". Hopefully Michelin has a better contract clause about the advertising and complaining. LoL. Otherwise I don't even see why they wanted the contract.
    As far as seeing the trickle down ... of course we will see it. If they are 17inch tires club racers and privateers will grab up the take offs and crash on em. Just like they have the other brands. :D

Ride safe,
    AAron

5. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Maybe Rossi will wall himself into the garage never to be heard from again. Hopefully.

6. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

So,any wagers as to whom will receive the 'overnight specials' while the MotoGP circus is on the European continent?

7. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Sure! I bet no one does.

8. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

With a spec tire, it will either be no one or everyone. It would be cool if they could bring a couple / few of those overnight tire creation trucks and if the tires aren't working, just make up a new tire on the spot. No more issues like Phillip Island.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

On Michelin/DMG - I talked to the guy who made the bid about it. It was a little bit of a bunch of things, they did have the right bid and they chose not to go though with winning it.

10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

thanks for that.. my info was 2nd hand, but from someone i figured knew, but better to hear from someone the main individual. So the decision to go 17" was potentially only one of the bunch of things..

11. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

It would have been fantastic if no one at all had bid to become tire supplier.

12. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

why ? it's a free market kind of thing. There is value (at least those that decide to bid think so) in being the only tire supplier for a given series. As much as i believe in competition, even among tire suppliers, you have to admit a single tire series makes for better racing (in my opinion).. and better racing hopefully means more viewers.

13. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I think it's a horrible rule that forces people to build pretty much the same bikes. I just don't like the typical Eurocrat regulation model of MotoGP. More open regulations and a focus on revenue growth instead of cost cutting would make for a healthier series.

14. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

It's a joke.Wrapped a wee bit tight are we?

15. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Sho nuff would be ideal.But the costs of doing that won't be cheap.But last year's race did break the monotony.