1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michelin Power One

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Gorilla, Feb 4, 2009.

1. k6sinfiddy

k6sinfiddy Well-Known Member

Hey Melk which ones are you running on front and rear? A, B or V?
    Also why is it when i go to the website to select tire with guide, it always says compound A? Unless i pick slick/rain tire...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  2. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

So which tires are they selling? I keep hearing from guys that it's just the A?

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

I ran an the A almost all weekend (few of them) but wish i had a B front/rear when the temp was high 70s and sunny for my first race on sat. The tires looked FINE after the race, but what i think happend is the soft compound of the A front/rear got superheated on the left (only felt like shit on the left). Remember, the middle is a hard compound. As you tip in it felt like the tire changed height or something but the soft rubber was just not gripping when the hard part was. When the temp was below mid 70's.. the A front and rear were awesome. I actually set my personal fastest ever lap time on a used A rear in ASRA qualifying. We put 20 laps on it and it still was doing pretty good.
    The B rear when it was colder, (like on Friday) would not wear as much at the point you are driving on the banking (just left of center) but they did have a small chunk. When above mid 70's .. these were the tires to have. Brad Graham and I finished right together in many races and he loved the "V" front. It has the "b" compound on the sides but turns in faster and has only 4plys. I like the firmer feel of the "A" and "B" fronts and you can brake like a madman into T1.

The michelin guys had everything there. A,B,C rears, even some old PR stuff discounted, 46a fronts (which still is the most righteous tire), street stuff, 190 rears, etc.

4. k6sinfiddy

Ok your gonna have to PM me your supplier to them, b/c i looked them up and they keep saying type A only.

5. MELK-MAN

Bought em right at Daytona from Walt S.
    Frank, Tommy, Moose, Q-man,Monte and everyone should have the same stuff.

6. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

Quentin at Mize Mobile is in your neighborhood. He'll set you up! :up:

7. k6sinfiddy

Thats right i forgot about Quentin, im gonna have to hit him up.
    Thnks

8. rondre3000

rondre3000 Well-Known Member

Melka, what's your take on the PR-D and PR-E that were released before the latest and greatest Power One's?

-r.

9. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

More than a couple of track records set on them but the Power One replaced them for a reason.....;)

10. rondre3000

Gotcha. Saw a deal on some rears and thought I'd scoop them up, but maybe I'll pass. Thanks for the info.

11. MELK-MAN

What Monte said. If your on a budget, the D was a good tire and will save you $50 per on the POwer ONe. Personally, I never got on with the D or E and ran a PR3 whenever possible on my 600.
    BUT.. the power ONE has way more side grip and lasts longer IMO. Save the D-E-3 for a trackday if you like, or just prepare to be amazed and do a bunch of laps with a big smile. :)

12. speedjunkie

speedjunkie Well-Known Member

im kinda contemplating trying these out....
    i have ran dunlops for the little over a year i have been on the track and grown to like them a bit. but if these last like you all say and have the grip thats better or just as good then they sound pretty bad ass.

whats the pricing on them compared to dunlops? whos a good place to go through with them?

13. MELK-MAN

ALOT less. I wont say how much DUnlops are, but lets just say the price for a pair of DOT tires is very close to having a "5" in front. Michelin PowerOne is $160 front/$230 rear (for 180,$240 for 190)

14. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

Slightly different prices in different markets. The Michie and Dunlop are $45 difference (Dunlop is more) out here in the PNW...regular racer prices, not contract prices.

15. synolimit

synolimit Well-Known Member

do the guys at the track sell the tires cheaper then like STG STT online? and like you say a contract price, is that for everyone that races or u just need to be fast as all hell?

16. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

'Fast as hell' guys sometimes get special/top-secret tire deals. The contract price that I'm talking about is where a rider commits to riding only that brand of tires for the year...rider gets a discount, vendor gets almost-guaranteed sales...win/win.

17. rondre3000

Lucky you! Down here in SoCal looks like we're gonna see a $70 difference between Power One's and 211's.

-r.

18. unclepaulie

unclepaulie Well-Known Member

Monte, how good are the power one trackday tires suppose to be? Will they handle a fast advanced pace at a trackday. I am also trying to figure out where these fall. Seems better than the pilot power 2ct but just below the full out DOT's race tires. Does this seem to be right? Is this the slot they are targeted for?

19. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Just got back from Portugal......testing Power One

Well it's a tough job but I just spent two days in Portugal testing the new Power One commercial, Competition and 16.5" slick product.

Besides setting our table on fire via a napkin that "spontainiously unfolded" (and thats a quote..) into a candle while we were in the buffet line everything went great.

I will post up a short review tomorrow. Short version.... best tire I have ever used by a wide margin and I expect that we will be paying a lot of Michelin money out this season!!

20. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

has anyone tried these tires on an sv or used the 160 rear?
    i used the tire selector page and it came up with the B rear but doesnt tell me which front, just says Power One with no designation of A, B or V/

i was excited about trying these tires out at Roebling this weekend but the financial disaster of my truck breaking down means i wont be on track until the Jennings National in April.
    Can dealers get the competition tires or are they only limited to the commercial. I'd like to pick up the tires from my dealership who is kicking me a little support