1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metzeler and Michelin Sponsorship

Discussion in 'General' started by WERA 16, Mar 18, 2000.

1. WERA 16

WERA 16 Guest

With the new release on the updates page (see releases and updates) does this mean that Metzeler and Michelin will be offering special deals to the racers of WERA or the Racers of those classes, or none at all?

2. WERA

WERA Administrator

Good in theory but that's not how it works. They pay us to advertise for them via banners, winners circle, logos in ads, announcements and the like and we use that money to offset our expenses. No discounts as part of the deal sorry.

3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

The Michelin deal is quite good ... you have plenty of opportunity to win lots of Bib Bucks throughout the year. I especially like the full support of lesser-populated classes like Clubman, 125GP, and Vintage. Why, those are the only three classes I usually run, so I ~truly~ appreciate it.

4. WERA

WERA Administrator

At the club level that is where we really push for the manufacturers to support you guys. It works well for both parties and it's much easier for us to get contingency money than cash, even if we gave it all back in purses they'd rather give it to you for doing well with their products.

5. WERA 16

WERA 16 Guest

My question stemmed from speaking to Moose from trackside and Pirelli is their sponsor for their 600 ss class and he affirmed that that the racers from that other racing organization up north with a similar name recieve a discount on their tires. I won't quote the price because that's bad buisness on my part but it was significant. I was just curious because it seemed like a good idea on both parts.

6. Scribbler

Scribbler Member

I beleive that the reason they (Pirelli) discount the tires more for them is because it is spec tire classes. You'd think being the only game in town they would jack up the prices but fortunately that is not the case. I guess having the guaranteed sale makes the difference.

7. WERA

WERA Administrator

That's exactly why they offer a discount. We have considered the idea of doing a spec class but competition is a good thing.... There is also the comfort level of riders on different tires and it also rules out certain riders from racing the class right off the top because of their sponsorship deals with another tire company. It's hard enough for riders to get sponsorship for tires without us interfering even if it means that the riders get a deal on the tires they are forced to run. Of course now if we could do an IROC type of thing it would be a whole different deal but I can't see it as part of the normal class structure without a whole lot of money being spent by the tire company so we could offer some decent purses to compensate the riders for taking away their ability to get a tire sponsor (which usually covers them in all classes and series rather than just one or two classes in one series).

8. WERA 16

WERA 16 Guest

So if we ran a series with a spec tire, that means that anyone running a different tire by sponsorship obligation would be aoutomaticly disqualified from the race due to violation on both tire contracts?

But here's another idea. If the spec tire class was novice only, that might not interfere because 85-90 percent of novices aren't able to gain tire sponsors. And those that already have sponsorship are obviously doing well enough that they do not need another class to win, so that might offer others to enjoy the spotlight.

Let me know if I rambling aimlessly [​IMG]

9. WERA

WERA Administrator

YOu are rambling with aim [​IMG]

10. Team Serpent

Team Serpent Jason Temme #86 WERA Lifetime Member

I think it's a great idea. Convince Metzeler (or Pirelli, same company) to do something similar to their already successful spec tire classes then get Yamaha and Suzuki (and maybe a couple of others) to put together a contingency program to coincide with the series. Open it up to novice 600 supersport and some type of lightweight class (Suzuki already pays on the SV650 and I'm also thinking Aprilia 250) and voila, you've got yourself a cost conscience series with contingency support that could attract new people to the sport.

11. WERA 16

WERA 16 Guest

I would love to get Suzuki in a spec class, but trouble is they already are. Despite the 600 class, The GSXR is the only 750 currently being races by 95% of Novices and experts because the only other 750 within limits is the ZX7, which I just transfered from. They already have all the money from us, so why not put a little back in. And I agree, team the class up with a spec tire and there is one hell of a partnership to be made.

Here's another rambling thought. I'm sure it will fall like a lead balloon, but why not attempt to make the sportsman endurance into a spec class. Alot of entries, plus people will most likely burn up a set in the race. So a great way for both to make money again...

12. CharlieM#90

CharlieM#90 Well-Known Member

You are definitely rambling too much. Making the Sportsman Endurance series a spec-tire class is a horrible idea. Given that you're apt to find just about anything being entered, what tire manuf. you got in mind? None of them have a tire for _everything_.
    At least 2 of the 4 majors (Dun, Mich, Bridge, Metz)do not make a tire that I would consider acceptable to run on the bike that I am currently readying to run that series.

Why all this desire for a spec tire series? Works great if you like the chosen tire, horrible if you don't. Sure, it might make your tire budget cheaper but I prefer to take my chances with going after contingency money. And would prefer to decide myself as to what is the best tire to suit me.

Charlie McCullough #90 Ex

13. WERA 16

WERA 16 Guest

As I said, I like to Ramble, but I also like to race. And any chance to get into another class and race is certainly better than being an armchair warrior and promoting the "would have-could have-should have" people. Also, any new chance to get a new class to race in is what I'm after. I could really give two sh**s whether or not there is a spec tire, or class sponsor, or any other contingency for the class, I'm just shooting for more track time.

14. wera122

wera122 Guest

I agree with Charlie in the fact that I want to be able to choose which tires and accessories I use. I also agree that making the Sportsman Endurance a spec class is a terrible idea. If you want to run a spec class go buy an Aprilia and run in the cup, or also the Suzuki Cup. There are still some of us out here who do care about the contingency money and buy our products based on it. I know what you mean about more track time WERA 16, but you need to pick and choose what is right for you.

At the beginning of this year I printed out all the schedules for all racing organizations and track clubs, wrote them on a calendar, then picked which ones I wanted to attend. There were so many I couldn't possibly attend them all, so if you're looking for more track time, I suggest you do the same and you'll see what I'm talking about.

As for running in more classes, build a bike that fits in as many classes as possible, or build two or three bikes and you'll have so much track time that the next time we hear from you you'll be whining about getting more seat time, as in a chair to sit down and rest between races.

Next time, post your messages before you huff on the bong for an hour! [​IMG]

15. fastiger

fastiger Well-Known Member

I agree that I would like to choose which products I use and in whichever class I desire.

I have to disagree that any spec class would be a bad idea though. I re-read Sean's entries in this post and it sounds like all racers benefit in the long run from any corporate sponsorship. Any company willing to fork out cash to WERA that would help offset expenses I think is a great idea.

So Wannabe, what would the benfits be for WERA if a tire company wanted to title sponsor the sportsman endurance? How would it effect the riders (pro & con)?

(this kind of puts the cart before the horse considering no sportsman enduraces have been run yet) [​IMG]

16. Rusnak_322

Rusnak_322 FOX Mullet

This just announced:
    Cheng Shin Tire Company to sponsor the WERA Spec-tire Sportsman Endurance Class!

A two hour race won't necessarily eat a set of tires. Friends of mine raced the Fasttrax 3 hour on a set and then used them for the Sunday sprints.

Plus, without extra wheels, you may be stuck with the crap tires. I have been to a few race weekends that there were no tire vendors to change your tires. So that would put you out of any contingency money from your favorite tire company for the sprints.

Plus, cheap tires won't save you money if you crash because of them. You know that a tire company that makes great tire like Dunlop wont sponsor the series. They practically have a spec class in supersport with the 207GP's. You will be stuck with some inferior tire. That is why Pirelli did the GLRRA class. No one raced on them, so they cut a deal with the organization and forced the racers to run them.
    If they believed in their tire, put up contingency for the class.

17. Top Gun

Top Gun Well-Known Member

With the Pirelli series in GLRRA its only in Supersport racing only, so what alot of people did was run the superbike like it was a ss race. But when your sponsored by Pirelli you would run the SS class. Overall if your going to run a spec tire class use a good tire like dunlop or michelin. In Nascar you dont see Cheng Shin out there on the circuit, you see everyone running the same tire, same price. In GLRRA the pirelli tire that they run is the same tire form last year, so in theory go buy last years 207 for the same price and alot better tire. All pirelli is doing is making a guaranteed sale with the GLRRA riders. The new tire wont be in untill last round, so your just running ont last years tires.

18. wera122

wera122 Guest

I just want to clarify I didn't mean spec classes are a bad idea. My point was that making the Sportsman Endurance a spec class would be a bad idea.

I second Sean's comments that corporate sponsorship will benefit any racing series. I guess I was being too nice when what I really should have said was DON'T GO SCREWING WITH MY CONTINGENCY MONEY!!

Any questions? [​IMG]

19. fastiger

fastiger Well-Known Member

Great. You want me to practice with you this Friday and you're telling me you're one of those fast guys that wins contingency money?

If I were one of those, I wouldn't want anyone to be screwing with my racing funds either. [​IMG]

20. wera122

wera122 Guest

I wouldn't say I'm one of the fast guys, but in my opinion anyone on the track has the possibility of getting some contingency money at least once in their illustrious racing career. [​IMG]

Sometimes too many rules and restrictions can be a bad thing, so I think we need to look at each class individually and see what changes will benefit the overall group without hindering too many people. I'll leave that fun task up to Sean and Co.

Easier said than done! [​IMG]