1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mechanics gurus, help!!!

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Coralsnake, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I just bought a 06 R6, which is stock with 7k miles.
    I went to ride today but after a while I notice it didnt have power, so, I stoped and looked around, I heared it sound weird, so I notice that the cilinder number 3 was not working.
    I remove the plug and the spark and found that the spark was burned, I had never seen this before...
    Any one have an idea what happened?? the spark plug model is NGK CR10EK and the plug is Mitsubushi.
    I attached a picture to show how bad is this.
    Do you think guys I should remove the head in order to take a look on the piston or a missed spark part on the combustion chamber??

2. Coralsnake

Sorry, forgot the picture :up:

Attached Files:

3. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Severe detonation and overheating. Probably a tight valve or bad valve spring, combined with an intake air leak. You aren't going to want to hear this, but that engine should not be started again until you pull the head and fix it.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

sure its only 7k on there?

5. Coralsnake

How can i check the spring?? How is an intake air leak???

The valves are:
    Cylinder 1
    In .004 .004
    Ex .006 .006

Cylinder 2
    In .004 .004
    Ex .006 .006

Cylinder 3
    In .005 .005
    Ex .007 .007

Cylinder 4
    In .006 .007
    Ex .008 .009

6. Coralsnake

At this point Im in doubt :mad:

7. The Trav

The Trav Well-Known Member

oh fuck...

8. Demented

Demented Well-Known Member

Pull that shit apart and inspect it.

Or use some x-rays glasses to look into the engine without pulling it apart.

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

see if you can borrow a borescope. Where are you located?

10. Coralsnake

Im taking everything apart, i will post some pics in order to get some help.

Do you think i should replace the engine?? Head?? Just fix it?

11. Coralsnake

Tx

12. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Holy damn.

13. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Not enough information to know yet. Pull the head off and see what it looks like in there. I bet the top of the piston is all pockmarked just like the spark plug. The cylinder wall may be damaged, too. I'm really surprised that you had good clearance on Cylinder #3. The swarf from the failed plug should have deposited on the valve and seat and caused a change in clearance.

Intake air leaks come from loose intake manifold clamps and cracked manifold rubber.

14. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

in over 100+ R6 engines i can say i have never seen that bad of one. wow.

Pull head and inspect for sure. surprised you didnt hear anything ahead of time.

15. Coralsnake

I removed everything, i will take the head apart tomorrow and post the pics, but i notice that the others sparks aré very white, Like no burning fuel...

16. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Sombody previously said "overheating" which makes sense given the condition of the other spark plugs. White indicates lean mixture which will cause overheating and destroy and engine. The bike may be stock now but has it always been stock?

17. Coralsnake

I think It had power commander because I found a red jump connector, but i´m not sure, i thought once the PC is removed the bike comes to stock(talking about the fuel delivery amout).
    Do you think any sensor can cause to run lean because is giving "bad" information to ECU?? o2 maybe??

18. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Ex-nitrous motor perhaps.

Removing the PC will return the bikes mapping to stock, unless the ECU has been reprogramed. Which is unlikely they left it if it was.

19. Pilotx1

Pilotx1 Well-Known Member

how hard was that plug to remove? it didnt just spin out after you broke it loose right, im thinking the spark plug threads in that cylinder are destroyed now

20. Coralsnake

ok, I already removed the head and everything looks good, everything is alittle bit white but the piston is OK and the cilinder looks good, here are some pics, what do you think??
    I´m going to need a new gasket and I will take a look on the valves this afternoon.
    My concern is when I put the new gasket, valves or whatever I need that this issue could happen again, I dont know what to do next..:confused:

Attached Files: