1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Managing Tires

Discussion in 'Tech' started by imaboa, Sep 14, 2015.

1. imaboa

imaboa Member

How do you guys do it?

How many races / practices before you flip a tire or replace it?
    Does anyone measure rubber durometer to make a decision whether a tire is good or bad?
    Are the wear indicators the best way to decide when to switch?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

2. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I usually get a new rear for each race weekend (I do four races in a weekend), and I'll get a new front whenever it feels like I'm washing out more often than I'd like (2-3 weekends usually). I run the previous round's tires for whatever trackdays or practices are leading up to the next race (including practice the morning before the races that day), then switch to the new tire(s) for the race.

Really, switch whenever you're not comfortable with the tire anymore. I could easily go longer on my rears, I'd just slide around a little more than I'd like to for a race that I care about.

The "wear indicator" that I use is when the tire starts sliding.. I don't usually inspect the tire too hard or use a tool on it. I have in the past, and found that the fancy tools didn't tell me anything my butt hadn't already been telling me.

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

TOTALLY depends on your pace and ability .. the faster you go, the more tires you need.

and anyone makes a "michelin" joke gets poked in the eye.. i'm tryin to give good advice.

;)

4. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

i just cycle all my tires so that im buying new ones for my races. most of the time the rears are bald or spinning pretty good towards the end of trackdays or practices. sometimes ill push the front tire a little longer and put an extra race day on it and sometimes i end up tossing a front that has a little life left. i also usually have an extra rear around thats half good or a hard compound that i can use for practice.

5. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

I've tried a lot of stuff I think the 1k bikes making close to 200hp you need a new rear every race. So at least a new set in practice then 2 fronts and 3 rears race day. That's for 4 races. Then use them up practice and repeat. It sucks but the rear goes off I've tried everything. And all brands, maybe the uk Dunlop in the day would last two full 6 lap races. That is with a bike setup for new tires.

6. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

You guys suck! At this point in my race career I can go about 5 rds before needing a rear. The front will last all season long. Bet you can't remember the last time you could ever go that long. I envy you guys, kinda.

7. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

There is no direct correlation between a durometer reading and grip level, so I wouldn't waste time checking with a tool. Not to mention the consistency of your readings would be highly dependent on temperature, tread depth, and tire pressure. So getting repeatable (usable) results would be very difficult.

I agree with the "listen to what your butt is telling you" approach.

8. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

I count laps. I know what I can get out of a rear tire. I replace the front every other rear. (Except for this year but that was due to low tire supply levels)