1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Man skydives from 25,000 feet, lands safely without parachute

Discussion in 'General' started by SGVRider, Aug 1, 2016.

1. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Vacation time incoming ;)

3. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Saw that earlier today. Fing nuts

4. Bypass

Bypass Well-Known Member

Dude is insane... I'll keep my adrenaline addiction ground based tyvm

BigBird and baconologist like this.
  5. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Perhaps first deliberate jump but not the first person and not taking anything away, as who does it deliberately?? But im recalling stories of pilots getting shot down and other falling bodies surviving freefall eg Vesna Vulović

6. Meh.

I got all excited watching the video, thinking dude was wearing some airbag suit and had came up with a way to land minimizing the impact, or maybe he had trained his body over time to survive it, or some shit like that.

....then I see dude land in this bigass net. :rolleyes:

I was thinking he had figured out a way to survive landing on the GROUND with no parachute. Instead he just jumped into a bigass net. I mean, of course he had to have good aim and hit the net. Im not taking anything away from that. But the headlines/etc (even the title of this thread) keep saying "man jumps with no parachute and survives!!!" and shit like that. They leave out the part about the bigass net.

7. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Big net or not that was pretty precise and had to take some serious nut to do. The fake lead of of he has to wear a chute and then doesn't was lame. When I first heard about 1st thought was big ass net. How the hell do you "train" your body to survive hitting the ground at 110mph:rolleyes:

Bypass likes this.
  8. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

I still think the craziest jump was Travis Pastrana jumping with no parachute and no net. You can search it on your own to see how it turned out because I don't want a vacation.

crashman likes this.
  9. BigBird

BigBird blah

I was like a net.. really..but thinking about it, it's really impressive. He has no handlebar or wings or anything to land in the net. And what tops off the crazy for me is that he had his 4 yo there. If things went wrong..well... yeah...

10. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

You talking the one where trained professionals were there to hook up to him to tandem everything but the first 30 seconds? That one was crazier than this guy jumping with no chute, no plan of a chute, and nothing more than his aim to hit a net that was his only "safety"? Seriously?

The Great One likes this.
  11. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Yeah the Pastrana thing has been done many times before and after he did it. Not terribly risky if you trust the riggers and stay calm.

This is a special kind of insane. Obviously well planned and executed but still maybe the most ridiculous skiydive I've ever seen. Not sure if it tops Baumgartner's Stratos jump, but pretty close.

The Great One likes this.
  12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I remember seeing a video (guy was wearing a GoPro or something) where some guy's chute got all tangled up after deploying it and he continued to fall until broke through a tree and hit the ground. I think he broke a rib and maybe something else but he stood up and sounded pretty elated that he didn't die.

13. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I may get flamed but I think the guy is fucking stupid. Sure, an interesting feat, however with kids and a wife to be there for and attempt something like this? I think its just irresponsible as someone can be. Thing is he would have died it would have been a grave tragedy and we'd all have to feel sorry for the wife and kids he left behind.

rk97 and BigBird like this.
  14. BigBird

BigBird blah

I agree with you, BUT that can be said for anyone that throws a leg over a motorcycle. Risk is risk, some more than others...but yeah to have the little one there and if it went wrong would be an image that could not be unseen for the rest of their life. So I guess I partially agree with you...

15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Calculated risk. Kind of like racing a motorcycle.

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Dude died in a hang gliding accident. What an idiot! Ha ha. "Ahhh! I'm hang-gliding, honey; take a good picture, I'm dead." What a freak!

[​IMG]

flyboy, PMooney Jr., Dave_SV and 2 others like this.
  17. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I understand life is always a risk at some point but there is quite a big gap between one and the other wouldn't you agree? I mean most logical people will step back from something seriously dangerous and think how will this effect others in my life? It might be one thing if his kids were grown and on there own or non- existent all together but , damn. I mean its about as selfish as you can get in my eyes. First step on being a good father is - being there. Just my opinion, it just rubbed me the wrong way I all.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It's not insane. None of the crazy ones survive. He'd done that same jump 50 times leading up to this one. He knew exactly what the conditions needed to be, what his position needed to be, and so on to make the landing. Everything was monitored and the safety guys stayed with him until he was to a point that he couldn't miss.

The guys that are insane are the wing suit guys, the free climbers, and all the other nuts that just look at a jump or climb or whatever and say, "fuck it, let's go, you only live once".

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Um, is that you in your picture there?

Same thing....

20. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I understand what you're saying, but it's a calculated risk. This guy has 18,000 jumps and 20 years experience. They also practiced the jump something like 70 times. I'm sure this cost millions to put together between design, planning, engineering, practice etc. I wouldn't call it crazy. The dude has major stones and major skills, but no one crazy would have been able to pull this off without ending up as bug splatter on the desert floor. Not really any more crazy than braking as hard into a corner as you dare at 150 mph with 10 other dudes around you, and it's actually probably safer than that.