1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Machinery for sale?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by CharlieY, Sep 19, 2014.

1. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

MidnightRun, that your ad?

I'm an hour north, maybe interested in the surface grinder.

2. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Yo Chuck, I don't think it is Tom's, but I could be wrong.

Just info....I believe you two should know each other.....Tom used to run a Triumph 650 in 500GP.....I'm pretty sure you 2 talked about his bike in the pits at a Road Atl GNF one year....he was running in V3 or something, he missed the index note in 500GP, and I pointed him your way.

3. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

Hmm, never been to a GNF and only raced Road A the once with WERA.

But I've bumped my head more than once, so who knows.

My old 650 will be at Barber for that other orgs vintage festival this week.

House remodel is eating my resources or I'd be there to watch.

4. CharlieY

Maybe it was Upchurch....you two are one in the same as far as I'm concerned. :D :Poke: ....not sure which one of you I'm poking here...:rolleyes:

5. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

Well, Triumph woulda been me.

Steve is the guy for Honda hammers.

6. CharlieY

like this

Hey fellas, just info here....THIS is what I'm looking for. Notice the gearbox. A visual "giveaway" is the small pipe fitting sticking out the front bottom....its for gearbox lube....this one is priced right too.

There are MILLIONS of the woodworking ones around, with no gearbox. I have 1, and tried to make it work.

Its alittle far away, but possible.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/4690771183.html

Actually, top of my list, and ALOT harder to find is a 14" Powermatic model 143 like this one.....this guy is nutz on price tho.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Powermatic-...521?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43becb64f1

Thanx for reading!

7. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

Are you going to be cutting metal? Perhaps a horizontal band saw is better suited for metal. They also have the ability to cut vertically. There are dedicated vertical band saws for metal well as you know. You are correct that the gearbox will allow speeds more suited to metal but you might have to change the pulleys as well to achieve the correct speeds.

At that point you are back to my original input,the machine becomes it's own project. Are pulleys and gears available? Is the machine setup for metal already? Can you trust the sellers knowledge. Not being negative just throwing the thought out there.

Edit: read both ads completely this time. In my opinion, as you stated, the e bay machine is over priced. I do not think 2 speeds are enough to properly cut metal. Most horizontal metal saws are equipped with three speeds. I like the machine with the gearbox in Illinois also, but I can issues are there. Nothing specific but the price and admitted missing parts indicate that to me. Caveat; I am an amateur home machinist on a steep learning curve.
    Based on my experience buying a machine sight unseen is a gamble. I have done it numerous times with mixed results. I always factor in some disappointment and the seller's upgrading his machines condition.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  8. CharlieY

Thanx RIB.....yes, metal only....think exhaust and frame tubing.....the "dedicated metal" bandsaws are too big for me RIB....I'd love it, but cant do it and care for it correctly.

I have a HF horizontal bandsaw....it works OK. I plan to relegate it to "cut-off" duty when I get the vertical squared away. I keep it set on the slowest speed....all "heavy" stuff will get cut with it.....I haven't used the vert table, looks alittle cheesy.

I want the vert for cleaner cuts, I can us a miter and cut "off-angles"...or even odd shapes in sheet or plate...plus I'm standing up and watching things.

If the gearbox isn't working, I'm out...but I hear the 2 models I'm looking at are really bullet-proof....motor I could swap if the price is right.

If I get a Rockwell, I plan to use the one I have and the one I buy, and make "the best" saw....I know this ties into what you are saying about projects. It already happened with the Rockwell I have, so really it is done....clean up the bottom end of the bought one, swap it onto mine, and sell the other saw.

Pulleys are available. Gears, maybe not.

I would probably set the vert on the slowest speed and leave it.....I'm not in a hurry, I race a CB350 fer krimmie sakes. :D

DANG, that saw in Indy is gone.

I hear ya on the sight unseen.....I was kinda hoping here would be alittle more of a filter...at least here I know some of the guys.

Thanx for the input man...keep it coming. :up: Where are you located at?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  9. CharlieY

Just made a deal with a guy here at work for a Miller Syncrowave 200....complete "Runner Package", aircooled torch, footpedal, bottle, regulator....here it is: https://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/spec_sheets/AD4-4.pdf

It should be ALOT better than that Northern Tool 110V tig I currently have.

Anybody have any input on this Miller?....deals not totally done, so I could back out if needed....everything I read is really good.....

I got it for several hundred less than a new Lincoln 175 TIG I was looking at.....this miller is hardly used, been gathering dust....its a 2011.

Bob (Yamaha fan)?....anyone?....lay it on me now (STFU Walker :D)

10. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

I'm on Long Island, outside NYC. Surprised you couldn't tell from my accent. Oh, right, never mind, I guess I hear it in my head....

A horizontal saw would be an upgrade to my Grizzly abrasive saw, so i'm way behind in that area. The horizontal I see as a more production type tool. Less an artist or fabricator type tool. With the machining the final product undergoes so many "cuts" that the original sawed part usually no longer exists.

11. CharlieY

Ha....yeah, I thought I heard that twang....born and raised in Jersey here, but live in Atl now.

Totally agree on the horz. I also have an abrasive cut-off, but don't like to use it much....that thing makes a mess, and is loud as heck.....I've used it out in the driveway before....my wife loves how it compliments the singing birds, etc.:rolleyes:

I paid 200 for the horz from harbor freight, and its been worth every penny, just buy good blades......but I don't want this to be my "primary" or only saw.

12. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

Alright Charlie, not that I'm calling you a knuckle head or anything (knucklehead), and you can obviously want and buy anything that tickles your fancy...but I've been doing this for a long time, for a living, and a hobby, and I don't see the need for a dedicated vertical bandsaw.

Cleaner cuts - huh?

Use a miter and cut off angles - been doing that on a horizontal forever. Building frames, you're going to end up coping the ends on a bridgeport or a sander anyways.

Odd shapes in sheet or plate - THIS is your one valid use. However, I've used my little 4x6 cheap-o horiz/vert unit for this for over 10 years when needed. Even when I've worked in job shops, this was a pretty minor application.

Standing up and watching things - if you're not doing this already, you're doing something wrong.

Back to my cave now.

13. CharlieY

OK Chuck :crackup:, no problem here, thanx for the input.

So you are saying, if you had a choice between a dedicated metal vertical and my HF horz with the cheesy vert table, you would choose the horz?..or are you saying you think I could do what I need with the horz?

I was mostly talking about exhaust tubing. I want to control the pressure on the blade better than the spring attachment on my horz....a hydraulic horz would probable be better.

I'm also not fond of standing sideways kinda straddling the horz frame...just seems clumsy to me.

The miter slot on my HF table isn't deep enough for the miter I have either (that came with the Rockwell)....so, the material sits higher than the rest of the table when resting on it......again, cheese, but could probably be used. I also don't trust those 2 little screws, 2 inches apart, to keep the table flat.

CAN it be done on the cheap horz?....most likely....but which does the job better?...forever?...I feel I have more control with the vertical.

That HF saw is great for heavier stuff...like the 2x2 with angles I cut last weekend, but I want a better tool for other stuff....is there something wrong with that?

Another issue for me is the horz takes up more room than the verts I'm looking for. I don't have a lot of floor space.....The horz will be going in the addition / covered area out back when I get the vert right....with plenty of room for long pieces when needed.....then bring the cut pieces inside and finish with the vert when needed.

Coping is a whole nother world....I've got the sander (12" disk, 6" belt, and oscillating drum), and a toy mill I'm learning to use.

Thanx Holmes...this knucklehead is learning as he goes man! :D But I'm also not starting from scratch either.

Something tells me your cave is interesting.....was that a grunt I heard? :D

14. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

You can likely do what you want with the horiz. Given one saw, I'd choose a horiz.

You want to control pressure by manually feeding exh tubing into a vert, I get it. Needs more pressure when cut starts, not so much when in the middle of the tube. Can be done in horiz mode by "assisting" the down feed with your hand - ie, don't let it over-feed in the middle of the tube.

True, if using it as a vert.

Screw the miter gauge, angle the vise and use the horiz as a horiz.

Nothing wrong with wanting more tools. Just trying to understand why you think you need a vert bandsaw. Personally I don't think it's a better tool for the application, but it's you doing the work, so get what you like!:up:

I've made a bunch of exhaust, from show bike to race bikes, and never used one.

New cave currently in development...new place has a full basement with garage door and all the shop stuff is going in there.

Not sure what I'm going to do with everything, other than keep the farm equipment running. Gunsmith a bit. Keep my old junk running.
    Not building race bikes, haven't been working on triumphs for folks.

15. CharlieY

I hear ya man....about the only thing you are losing me on is using the using the vice.....a U-bend is difficult in that thing, and sometimes to get the angle right I'd have to "pinch" both ends flat....pain in the arse sometimes.....U bend sitting on its side is different, of course.

Good luck with the new place Holmes.....:up:

Thanx for the input Chuck.

16. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

17. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

At the risk of thread-jacking, where does one learn to use such equipment?

I'd love to be an extra set of hands and be an unofficial apprentice in a machine shop, but the full-time job and fuller-time wife & daughter make that difficult...

18. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

Local community colleges sometimes have courses, or used to.
    A mentor is how I did and continue to do it, as well as taking the plunge and being self taught.

19. CharlieY

THATS exactly the saws I'm looking for RIB....I have seen that one, I think the guy is alittle high.....the one I missed recently was the same saw for $300, and it was closer.

I'm taking a class at Southern Poly right now. Just finished up the machining portion.

20. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

I have a guy local to me asking $750 for a vertical Rockwell Delta. 8 speed, gearbox.
    Seems a little high but I was thinking of offering $500.

Your thoughts Charlie?