1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Machinery for sale?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by CharlieY, Sep 19, 2014.

1. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

It occurred to me recently that this may be a good place to broadcast, and I hope Sean doesn't mind.....I would understand if he did, but here goes.

What ya got fellas that has been gathering dust in the shop fabrication-wise? It would go to a good home and contribute to the vintage bike racing scene in the future.

In the next couple years I'll be buying some stuff like listed below:

Powermatic model 143, or Rockwell 14" bandsaw WITH the metal cutting gearbox. I bought a 14" Rockwell wood saw and found a huge pulley, trying to slow the blade, not good enough....need the right saw, but don't have room for anything larger.

AC / DC Tig rig.....something like a Lincoln 175 or 225....something that runs off 220 of course....looking new here, but lets talk.

Possibly a larger lathe, like a 14 x 40.

I'll probably buy this in the next couple weeks http://www.use-enco.com/1/1/33727-g...-tool-carbide-grinding-fixtures-891-8106.html

Anybody out there "had enough" and has machinery looking for a good home? :up:

Also, as I upgrade, I'll probably have some smaller scale stuff to sell.

Lemme know fellas.....I'm not in a big rush, just kinda seeing whats out there. Anybody that knows me, knows I am a craigslist hound-dog, but figured this here might be a good approach.....lets keep it "in the family" fellas.:D

Thanx

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  2. wera 688

wera 688 in the mosh pit

I'll sell you a wooden handled screwdriver and a set of Chinese sockets :)

Too bad this wasnt posted a year ago. My friends dad passed and he auctioned a +40 year machine shop. Incredible what was in it. I'll ask to see if there is anything that didnt sell.

Hope all is well with you Charlie!

3. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I have an over abundance of BSA valve adjustment tools, a/k/a hammers . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

4. CharlieY

Thanx Kith, your friends dad is kinda what I'm looking for.....keep your eyes and ears open for me homie.....you've saved my bacon before sir!:up:...yeah man, let me know if he has any scraps left.

I'm thinking you being in the aircraft industry is a plus too....AND I call you local as well.....

I'm not looking for "gimmes", just looking for good used equipment.....you know, the kind of stuff that never really wears out.

Hey, I saw your old bike on track Friday, but didn't get a chance to talk to the guy.

Blakes EX was overheating. We must have gotten something wrong during assembly.

5. CharlieY

I've noticed you seem to be swinging hammers often here lately. :rolleyes: ...but not on your bikes.

6. Steve 976

Steve 976 Well-Known Member

I have a broken hammer. All yours Charlie.

7. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

Steve, you were the first person i thought of when Dave mentioned the word hammer.

Crazy Joe leaving a hammer in the middle of the track at Roebling a few years back was the second. :)

8. CharlieY

Gee, thanx Steve :rolleyes:

Whats up with you man?...british cars I'm hearing???

A hammer on the track?....I missed that one.

9. Steve 976

Steve 976 Well-Known Member

Hammers fix everything. One way or another.

10. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

I have spent the last year or so setting up my home shop.
    1964 Southbend 9A, Emco FB2, Rockwell drill press, more.
    Found the best sources to be the machinery forums, Craigs list and ebay. As always buyer beware.

11. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I have a beautiful set of unused open end Whitworth wrenches that are looking for a good home. I'll take $1000.00 for them since they are antiques. :)

12. CharlieY

10-4, Thanx for the input..,...thats what I'm talking about....mine is more twds welding and fab than machining tho, just because that's my background.

Got any words of wisdom?...I do get the buyer beware...

I'm attending a local comm college machining class right now.

....and Yep, I check most of those every day...if you see something, holler!

Right now I'm in bandsaw mode (but can shift for the right opportunity). I was using a Do-All 18" in class the other night :bow: 1.5" thick steel like butta baby!....but its too big. I need to stay in the 14" arena with a Powermatic 143 or a gearbox Rockwell....just aint too many that come up.

I'm picking up a nice new Lincoln 220v mig tomorrow....TIG is next....then I'll sell off my 110v units of both.

My neighbor the electrician was over last nite. I've got 220 out in the shop already for the compressor, but we are gonna set up a few outlets for the welders.

Naturally, I'm looking mostly in the SE, but I'd go further than that for the right machine.....I've got a motor to pick up in Ohio sometime.

....And, come on Orvis, you can do better than that man! :D ....but I do kinda see what you are saying too.....there have been people who think a lot of their machines, I just gotta weed out the bs.....I'm learning.

thanx fellas.

13. maxpat82

maxpat82 Well-Known Member

AC/DC TIG: I have a Longevity 200sx and I like it.
    I'm no welder or expert, but it do a good job and it's 110/220.

there is other more advanced model too.

14. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

Not many except the old iron is great. But, be ready to clean, refurbish, and possibly rebuild. As long as the key components (spindles, pulleys and other such parts) are in serviceable condition, most bearings and wear items can be found in the correct sizes.

Now. Be careful what you wish for. Like motorcycles, these machines can become their own hobby. No longer a means to an end, so to speak, but a fairly consuming pass time in and of itself. That being said I still look at and admire my first rebuild/restoration, a 1960's vintage Rockwell drill press. It is a pleasure to use and I just enjoy owning it.

15. CharlieY

Interesting comment....yeah, the Rockwell bandsaw I purchased did become a project in-itself.....getting my whole shop settled has become a project as well!

I'm hoping to make the right purchases and avoid them becoming projects, for the most part of course.

I picked up my new Lincoln 220V MIG last week. Ran 2 new 220V breakers and plugs, 1 for it, and the other for a new TIG sometime soon.

Thanx for the input RIB.

16. MidnightRun

MidnightRun Well-Known Member

post id: 4685982216

17. MidnightRun

craigs list asheville/tools section

18. MidnightRun

19. MidnightRun

takes me awhile to figure this out....

20. CharlieY

Yo Tom.....thanx for the leads.

I've seen a few already, but you found a couple I hadn't seen on Ashville CL.....I need to look there more often.

I missed a Rockwell 14" with gearbox on Friday. It went for 300.

I'm kinda focused on a bandsaw right now.....Rockwell 14" or Powermatic model 143.

You got that 350 ready to race yet?