1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lowdown on a whole house filter system????

Discussion in 'General' started by XFBO, May 18, 2018.

1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

So it looks like we might have a hard water situation here and never had to research this issue before, so for those who have, what do y'all recommend?

I see them ranging from $600-1500...... wanna do this right the first time, so give it to me straight! :D

2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Where are you located, and what characteristics of your water do you not like?

First and foremost, I'd suggest getting your water tested. You can get a variety of tests via your local Extension Agent. Ask your local office to suggest what to get to help you towards your goal of better tasting water.

For folks in GA:

http://extension.uga.edu/county-offices.html

XFBO likes this.
  3. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Water softener if you have hard water.

4. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Middle Tn, several characteristics bugging us to no end. Leaves a film on the glassware using the d/w is probably where it's most noticeable. But also, while taking a shower, the water doesn't quite feel right on your skin and I don't think the shampoo lathers up like I remember. The only thing throwing me off is we do NOT have any of that crud that usually collects at the faucet or shower head.

As for testing, I bought one of those electronic hardness testers and according to the numbers I've seen online, it's not that bad being right at the edge of being tolerable, the hot water though was real high. These were tested at the kitchen sink.

I thought about going to the o2 utility company and see what they suggest but figured I'd ask here too. Thanks for sharing, I'll have to see if Tn University has the same thing.

5. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

After having to use muratic acid to clean mineral deposits from my Kohler toilet, I spoke with a plumbing expert, and he said to have my water tested first. Simply adding filters and softeners without knowing what I'm trying to change, can be throwing money away.

6. YamahaRick

7. YamahaRick

8. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I have a whole house filter system with a 50 micron pre filter, ph neutralizer, and softener. The system is designed for a five bathroom house and ran ~$4k. Worth every penny.

XFBO likes this.
  9. racerx43

racerx43 Well-Known Member

Details please - who makes it - is it a series of things ?

10. zbunny

zbunny Well-Known Member

We have a similar setup to Canolli, as well as reverse osmosis in the kitchen and my Bosch dishwasher has a water softener, too. We have an over priced system that works well, but is 4 times what you need to spend. I think it is Ecowater. They are offered through Costco services with a 10 yr warranty.

11. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

There’s a local plumbing warehouse that deals in water filtration, well pumps and parts etc. I had them check the water then I bought and installed the necessary components. Unfortunately my iron problem is more of a problem to “me” than I would like so now I’m adding a more aggressive unit for just that. Total cost with me doing the labor is in the $3500 range but well worth it. My house is all cpvc so plumbing is very easy although I do pipe work for a living.