1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking into building a track - Have some questions

Discussion in 'General' started by chest2tank, Mar 4, 2008.

1. chest2tank

chest2tank Well-Known Member

I've been lurking here for I guess over a year now, and now that I have some serious questions other than what tires I should use, I figured I'd register. So this is my official hello!

What I am looking to do is exactly what the thread title says. The end game would be to attract AMA sbk, WSBK, and possibly MotoGP in addition to WERA, CSS, and track day orgs. Without giving too much information, I would hope that some of you may answer some questions so I don't have to waste the time of consultants and the dollars of my (to-be) stakeholders.

Let's start with a simple ones (of course I have answers, but I want to make sure we're not missing anything):

What revenue streams are typical for track-owning entities?

2. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

Just an outsider's impression: the track could have sponsor for bill boards or any number of areas to display a company/team name. You could have local companies supply items displaying their name: pace cars, banners to cover tire walls/soft barriers. If companies can see they would have exposure to potential customers, they may part with some of their advertizing budget.

Then of course, depending on what type of "on course" activity you are considering, car and/or bike race groups, clubs, schools, general track days would all provide some income.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  3. chest2tank

chest2tank Well-Known Member

Pace cars aren't supplied by the race organization?

4. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

I have only really been involved with motorcycles, but you are correct that they generally are supplied by the organization, but if you have a sponsored race they may request/require their logo be displayed on the car. Or maybe a local car dealer sponsors the race and requires a car from that dealer is used to show off the product.

5. Super Dave

Super Dave Exhausted and Abused

PM'ed...

6. Super Dave

Super Dave Exhausted and Abused

You can often work with a manufacturer that will give you some of their "brown titled" pre production cars that can't be licensed and put on the street for a use like that. Some will even do that for your support vehicles in the paddock for pick ups, etc.

7. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Marcus McBain is currently building a track in Texas, He is on here and would be a good person to contact. Also the owner (Rodger) of Arroyo Seco is on here and would be another good contact www.arroyosecoraceway.com

Or the peanut gallery would be happy to field your questions.:up:

As far as securing a MotoGP or WSB race good luck.

8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Ever seen an 'official' pace car? I'm thinking dealers and/or the manufacturer loans you the car only to take it back and sell it at a higher price...seeing that it is 'official' and all!

9. paistes5

paistes5 Well-Known Member

Other possible sources of revenue could include a riding school or driving school that uses the track as it's "home". Barber does this with Porche, RA with the Suzuki school, etc., etc.

You could also receive income from the food vendor selected for the track which would be open everytime an event comes to the track. Granted it probably isn't huge, but it would be a revenue stream.

10. joe617

joe617 Well-Known Member

Would this track be built in Tennessee? If so, which part of the state?

11. Roger@Arroyo

Roger@Arroyo Well-Known Member

Car clubs, bike clubs, schools and private testing dates are revenue for tracks. Sponsorship is also revenue but keep in mind that only tracks with major, televised races are able to charge high dollar for signage, same with getting lots of other perks.

If you expect to be able to hold a national event, expect to spend at least $20 million, double that if you expect to be able to hold a FIM event. If you're doing this to make money instead of a true love for motorsports, invest in something that has four left corners and grandstands instead of a roadcourse.

12. RumbleStrip

RumbleStrip Well-Known Member

Just what ever you do, please do NOT hire Alan Wilson or Herman Tilke to design the track.

13. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Are they the ones that make the boring cookie cutter tracks like Barber and Miller? :D

14. jeyrod

jeyrod Member

Alan Wilson
    Barber, Gingerman, Miller, Autobahn, Mont Tremblant, Calabogie​

Herman Tilke
    Sepang, Bahrain, Istanbul, Shanghai, Volokolamsk(?)​

15. vasiliy

vasiliy Squid Enthusiast

would someone build one in NY please... wtf

16. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

so you can use it for 4 months of the year?:crackup:

17. vasiliy

vasiliy Squid Enthusiast

:(

sigh

i know :(

Guys, If I moved to DC... is that a decent riding place?

18. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

BeaveRun and CMP...​

19. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

Summit's a bit more than an hour, BeaveRun is around 4ish, VIR about 4 too...that NJ track is supposed to be open later this year, too.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ya know, you really are an idiot. Have you actually been to Miller or Barber or any of the other tracks you're so obviously feeling are inferior?