1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for new racer info

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Nytrozula, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Nytrozula

Nytrozula Well-Known Member

I recently started track days and have quickly moved through the novice group and into intermediate where I am usually one of the faster int riders. I think I'm ready for the advanced group riding so hopefully I'll get there before the end of the year. I am very interested in trying racing. Do I need to be an advanced rider before I can start racing? Can someone give me a brief understanding of how a typical race is set up? How do the bikes line up to start the race? How is the order of the riders determined? Where can I find a schedule of races? Entry fee?

2. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Definitely don't need to be an "A" rider before racing. Being a predictable and consistent rider is the most important thing. As someone is also an "upper I" guy, I don't feel out of place out there.

Schedule - http://wera.com/schedule/thisseason.asp?<%=linkvars%>

I'll leave the rest to those who really know what they're talking about so I don't miss anything. I realize you're in the fact-finding process right now, but the race school (have to take one before you can race) will also answer more of the questions about what the day actually looks like and other important things to know.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Basically it's as simple as taking a racing school - ours or another one - and getting out there. We have people who have never been on a track before through those who have done a decade or more of track days so you'll be fine.

4. Nytrozula

As an int rider, how well do you compete in the race? How many riders are in a race? How many laps?

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

How many in each race depends on the class and the track and the time of year and and and. We run most combined with other classes. Laps depends on the track, usually 8 but longer tracks are 6 and short like Talladega they're 10.

6. JBarx

JBarx Status: None.

Probably more important that overall speed/laptimes or competitiveness.... you need to be predictable and not easily spooked. You have to be mentally prepared to be stuffed, passed tight, possibly bumped mid-corner, etc. It might not happen often or at all, but you have to be trained not to freak out when improvisation is required. Same goes for *making* passes. You have to know enough about yourself to know when you can make a move and when you can't. Some of that just comes with experience and there's no shortcut for it. If you want to get into it early on in your track experience, that's totally do-able. Just don't be the guy who gets in over his head and shits his pants trying to outride the people around him. Other than that, you'll be fine.

DmanSlam and rcarson15 like this.
  7. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Although I group (or any group) will vary quite a bit, even within an org, I was around the back 1/3. The fast guys will get by you just fine, and there's almost always someone slower than you.

Where do you normally run?

8. S Tsotsoros

S Tsotsoros aka General Tso

Have you read the information HERE

If yes and you still have questions PM me your phone number and I'll be happy to answer as many questions as I can.

Stephen

9. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

Have to agree with JBarx on this.. pace shouldn't be your first barometer. While it is nice to be competitive, you have to be able to be comfortable with riding close to someone. While you don't need to be in A group to race, it will certainly prepare you for inside/outside passing/getting passed. Getting stuffed into a corner is never fun, but it will certainly prepare you for not getting spooked into running off the track or wrecking. And to add to Micah's post, the fast guys will most certainly get by you just fine, but don't be surprised if it is uncomfortably close for you.

10. Nytrozula

i am normally a fast int rider. i can go sessions without getting passed. Although I do ride fast, I miss my lines more often than I like. I will get through the turn but sometimes awkwardly. That is my biggest concern.

11. TheScarpino

TheScarpino Well-Known Member

I would suggest trying to get bump to advance group so you can get a feel of closer passing. Most track day organizations really set the rules of a 6ft pass or greater and intermediate group and most intermediate Riders are extremely respectful when passing. Not saying that advance riders are less respectful but it's much closer passing. At least this way you will get a better feel of close proximity riding. But being predictable is your number one thing that you need to insure you are doing.

rcarson15 likes this.
  12. ZimZam

ZimZam Well-Known Member

"When you say getting stuffed into a corner, " can you explain that to me or post a pic. I think I understand what you mean. Thanks