1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets talk shop floors

Discussion in 'General' started by Captain Poo Poo Pants III, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Looking at moving next month and the 2 places I've been looking at I would like to do the floors before I move in. Both have oil/stains on them. I went to home depot yesterday to check out some options for the floors. I'm thinking I will use a degreaser to clean them up and then an etcher to prep the floors. The 1 shop I'm leaning towards is about 1500sqft total but about 1350 of it is shop space and the other is office space.

I was leaning on buying these 1 gallon buckets of epoxy coating that cover about 3-500sqft and mixing in the anti skid into each gallon. But I've never done this kind of thing before.

I should have a solid week or two overlap to get the new shop wired, air ran and the floors done.

Suggestions?

2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I'm sure someone will have a line on a good floor coating, but I will say to stay away from anything Home Depot or Lowes has to sell. Even their etching or Muriatic acid is crap compared to what you can get at a specialty place like a concrete supply company.

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I suggest you clean it, and don't waste your money on the floor, since it is likely a short term lease. But I'm also cheap!!!

six6two and Phl218 like this.
  4. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Go over to,garage journal and read the flooring forum. Tons of info and options. You will need to degrease, maybe grind, and then etch. There are a lot of options hat are more affordable and of better quality than what you will get at a box store.

G8rDuc and ekraft84 like this.
  5. Well, talking to my wife last night after we finished moving the house. I think if we get into Ian's place and we can work out the lease right we'll probably end up staying for a couple more years. Which isn't what I ideally want to do but really $$ wise and business wise it makes the most sense.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  6. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Kind of a different way to go but maybe worth considering
    Tractor Supply sells thick 4'x6' rubber stall mats. For $2280 you could cover your shop space and take it with you when your lease is up.

7. Boman Forklift

Awesome, that makes me even happier I introduced you two for this. Much better vs. coming to my place and possibly having to move again in a year.

8. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

With epoxy, you get what you pay for. I'd recommend a 100% solid epoxy.

9. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

This. Stuff is complete garbage. Used it and meticulously followed the prep directions. First hot tire on it, hot tire pickup.

Definitely this. If oil/grease has penetrated the concrete, degreaser by itself will not work, grinding will be needed.

Razr likes this.
  10. jkraft

jkraft Well-Known Member

polished concrete, like home depot.

six6two and TLR67 like this.
  11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Do yourself a favor and grind it.

This is the best product I have found and what I did in the garage. It's damn near indestructible. http://www.legacyindustrial.net/products/nohr-coatings/nohr-s-polyurea-coating.html. It's a single stage Polyurea. Has up to a year of pot life in the can. The 2 stage products are a mix and go quickly as you are working against the clock.

If you want the vinyl chip look then tint it what ever color you desire...roll on a coat and flake as you go. Let the chip bond in for an hour and then roll a top coat on to seal in the chips. The lines are for the wife. The woman can't park straight without a line and even that fails to work more often than I'd like.

[​IMG]

As has been said though you will make the product fail if the floor prep is done in a half assed manner.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Phl218 likes this.
  12. Boman Forklift

That is what I would do. If you are planning on doing that, I changed my mind, you should move into my unit. :)

I got a quote and I think it was around $3 per sq. ft.

13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I've got these in my van and they would be great for a shop floor, but they are HEAVY.

14. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Race deck flooring. 15 years old and still look great. I strip them and use the refresh stuff race deck sells every 2 years and they look great. Also you can pick them up and move them to your next shop if you leave.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

six6two, dsmitty37, Bruce and 6 others like this.
  15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Geezus, do you do any work in that garage? The only readily available equipment appears to be the lounge chair. :D

That's a nice clean space you got there. :flag:

Razr likes this.
  16. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

This. I don't do anything but mop mine every never in a while and it still looks good. I found mine off Craig's fairly cheap.

17. Boman Forklift

Looks great!!!

G2G likes this.
  18. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

:crackup:

19. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Where are you located? I install these as a side business.
    Stay away from HD stuff. It wont last long.
    You can get commercial grade stuff and DIY it for about 1.50 -1.75/sq ft and have a very good surface
    Installers would be 3.75-5+ /sq ft
    PPG Porter or sherwin have some decent epoxy systems for reasonably cheap. They will discolor in the sun though.
    Look at Torignol or Estes for chips (I prefer Torignol now). About $3/lb for color blend. Use 1/4" size. Get about 6-8 sq ft per pound for a full chip floor. More like 20-50sq ft for a medium chip.
    Plan to clean the floor and you can rent an edco grinder and heads for prep. for that amount of sq footage, 1 day would be enough. Prep is very key in making sure it sticks.

Dragginass likes this.
  20. Boman Forklift

He is in S. Cal. The shop he is looking at is in Bellflower.