1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's all try to be more sensative to witches.

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Joe Morris, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

2. tcasby

tcasby Banned

Winches, angels, virgin moms, cauldrons, crosses, broomsticks, bibles, all just silly superstition. If kids can dress as caricatures of witches, why not caricatures of Jesus or the Virgin Mary?

3. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Re: Re: Let's all try to be more sensative to witches.

I can tell you for a fact that Angels should be omitted from your list.

4. Skittlepitcrew

Skittlepitcrew Well-Known Member

I can understand not wanting to hold that party for the parents possible financial reasons, but then again cut some holes in a sheet and you have a costume. :D

5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

There's just no end to the do-gooders who want to suck the fun out of everything.
    Even in my own town, one of the bozo school principals decided entirely on his own to ban Halloween at school.

In astonishing cart-before-the-horse thinking "He plans to survey staff about how they view the change, and LaFleur said he will take the feedback, along with the comments from parents, to decide what to do next year."
    Consult with others before overturning years of tradition, what a strange concept.

Of course, "he believes the decision was made with the best interest of the students in mind."

They always do.

6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Re: Re: Let's all try to be more sensative to witches.

They could, but probably not at school because that would be unconstitutional.
    :rolleyes:

7. rbeddy

rbeddy Member

yea, but then the kkk would probably be offended!!!

it's interesting that some people have been protesting halloween based on religious grounds for some time; in vein that christmas is not celebrated (winter break, now) due to the possibility that some will be offended at the idea of the birth of Jesus being discussed in the classroom and others that say christmas celebration is a violation of church and state, yet noone heeded that argument (that halloween was just as religious based as other "christian" holidays, just a different religion) but we will disallow celebration because we might offend those of the wikken religion...doesn't make sense to me.

sidebar - hopefully this post makes sense - i sometimes have trouble stringing together complete thoughts!!!

8. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Let's all try to be more sensative to witches.

Prove it!

:D

9. cinderellla

cinderellla Guest

As a recognized religion, it's perfectly reasonable to expect Wicca to be handled by the school systems in the same way that Christianity, Judaism, Islam, or any other religion should be.

However, as a person of 'alternative religion', I have to say that the situation as described is stupid. Wiccans will tell you that their religion has nothing to do with the stereotypical image of green warty-nosed witches as seen on Halloween - and indeed it doesn't! - so why get all tetchy over symbology that has nothing to do with the religion in question? The Wiccan celebration of Samhain has about as much to do with trick-or-treating Halloween as Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer has to do with religious Christmas.

On the other hand, schools are getting tetchy over things like Rudolph, too, so I guess it's all of a piece.

The BEST way to handle the diversity of religious beliefs in public schools would be to actually teach the kids about the various celebrations - Samhain and Christmas and Hanukkah and so forth - describing the significance of each celebration to the religious culture in question, the historical background of each celebration, and so forth. There's no harm in *knowing* about another group's rituals, even if you don't practice those rituals yourself... But then the ACLU *and* parents of more restrictive faiths would all be up in arms ("Why are you teaching my child about some other religion's holidays?!?!?!") so I guess that's too rational a solution.

=c.

10. mad brad

mad brad Guest

because then some fruity catholic/christian/muslim would be pissed their kids will be taught about samhain.