1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Legit electric car question

Discussion in 'General' started by Bugslayer, Jul 13, 2023.

1. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

Will an electric car regen/charge if it is being flat towed behind a motor home?

BrentA likes this.
  2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

If it's on, and doesn't trip ABS/etc, yes. Should you do that, no, will you make your RV's milage tank from the extra drag of a car moderately on the brakes behind you, yes.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If you put an electric car on a treadmill in regen, will it recharge?

4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Just plug the charging cord into an outlet served by your coach generator.

Once a Wanker.. and pickled egg like this.
  5. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

It will run the treadmill!

6. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

All u gotta do is put a wind turbine on the roof of the RV.........

And look for bridges

7. 27

27 Well-Known Member

IMG_2162.jpeg IMG_2163.jpeg

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  8. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

Incorrect, the treadmill will take off.

9. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I designed a charging system for them that will… only makes about 5k watts at 65mph but that’s way more than solar. You being a fly boy would like it…

10. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Phl218, Boman Forklift and 27 like this.
  11. 27

27 Well-Known Member

That one was new to me! I’ve mentioned it but he’s featured in

12. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

You would be better off putting one of them there magnetic do hickeys on your rv fuel line.

13. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

By the way there is no such thing as a legit electric car question, allowed
    Around these parts.

Phl218, Once a Wanker.. and Bugslayer like this.
  14. cu260r6

cu260r6 Well-Known Member

If it's in N and off, no. If you keep it turned on and in drive, it depends on the make and setting. A Tesla will because the regen is nonadjustable and always on. Other makes offer adjustable regen down to zero.

15. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Depends on the vehicle. If the motors have an electric oil pump and it doesn't run as you tow, you will incinerate the motor.

Bugslayer likes this.
  16. KCFirebolt

KCFirebolt Large man. Little bike.

Towing-to-charge was a strategy Ewan and Charlie used on the Rivian trucks in "Long Way Up." First time I'd ever heard it was possible.

17. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

A lot of things were clearly going on 'off camera' on that series. They did show the 'large diesel generator on a flatbed truck' early on. So many nights they would ride the bikes to some remote place for the night, seemingly away from the support Rivians, then head off for the next day's adventure. Never a clue regarding how the bikes were magically charged. Poor Claudio was almost never shown in these episodes.
    They showed lots of footage of shopping for, buying and building the old school bus, then next to nothing of their drive up through Mexico. I was like, WTF?
    I was glad they showed the segments of HD flying in and installing basically an all new motor and battery assembly for Charlie's dead bike. Given that both bikes and both Rivians were prototypes, I'm sure there were plenty of maintenance issues not shown after editing was finished.

Even this isn't a 'Legit electric car question,' in my humble opinion.

18. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

19. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

This makes for fun TV watching, but it’s like reaching up through your ass to pop a pimple on your nose. If it’s that damned complicated to use. Nobody’s gonna buy or use it in any sort of practical setting.

20. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!