1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Legal question: Dog ownership

Discussion in 'General' started by OGs750, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Critter

Critter Registered

Tell her to Fuck off, buy the dog a steak every day for 30 days. Then when she comes for the dog watch what happens....

2. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

Do whatever won't make you feel like a douche a year down the road.

3. TZRusty

TZRusty Well-Known Member

Dog

In NJ if you feed and shelter an animal for 30 days it becomes yours.

4. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

LOL, of course you'll only get back a wad of fur weighing 1.2 lbs. The dog will have even shit his toenails. :)

5. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Dogs are property. Swap out the word "dog" for "coffee pot" and then proceed as if she's trying to take that instead. The only difference is that you're saying there's documentation supporting you as the 'registered' owner and her as the adopter from the agency.

There's your conflict.

People have gone to trial over less.

6. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

:clap:

7. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

Just stop with that rationale bullshit...the masses demand to be entertained :D

8. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Give it to the first runner up in the MotoGP champeenship.

Unless it's Horj. He might think it's his new butler. :down:

9. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I'll have to take a look at the paperwork. When the dog was put into my custody all of the documentation came with her.

I'll feel the worst if I rolled over on this one and caved to the pressure, but that's why I need the assurance that I have legal claim to the dog.

10. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Exactly, which document takes precedent?

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Docs don't matter - you have the dog, it's therefore your dog. All of that has happened since she filled out a piece of non binding paper.

12. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

:stupid:

Do you have an iPhone? If so, I know you can block her number. Do it.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  13. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Within days of getting the dog, she'll take it to the pound & ten days (max) after that, it'll get the needle. I'd probably feel like a douche if I caved to a spiteful wench & let that happen.

Depends which piece of paper you're referring to, & how you define binding. If you're referring to the adoption contract, I can't say what this particular dogs' adoption contract reads like, but ours are written by a volunteer who actually went to law school. and a prominent one, at that. ;) Is it ""binding""? I'm not sure what that really means. I guess that it means is that there's language over which the lawyers & such could fight if & when any lawsuits were ever filed. It's actually never happened, since I've been volunteering.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The person taking care of the dog at their home will be the owner no matter who took it from the adoption agency. That piece of paper doesn't have any binding effect on the person the signer gave the dog to (which in this case the chick did as it never lived with her). I'd guess the adoption agency could possibly sue her for breach of contract but that seems tough since a dog is a piece of property and it's hard to tell people what they can or can't do once you sell them something. Can't see Best Buy being able to sue because your living room isn't big enough for the TV they sold you or because you gave it to someone else. As much as my dogs are family to me the reality is you're not adopting them, you're buying them.

Basically she made an agreement with the adoption agency, he did not, that paper has nothing to do with him. His deal is she gave him the dog, he has kept and cared for the dog, he has registered the dog with the city. Now THEY have some legal standing and they say the dog is his. So the dog is his.

15. dakinesuzukinut

dakinesuzukinut Well-Known Member

When it comes to protecting the life of the Dog...Dont back down to her....My pet peeve is people getting a dog on a whim that can barely take care of themselves and the dog gets given away....yea right the poor innocent dog ends up in the pound and gets put down...I work with a guy who has a son who always has a new puppy.....I reached a point where i was so pissed i told him and his dad to STOP ruining the lives of these dogs and robbing a responsible person from adopting these animals...that is all ..Error on the side of the INNOCENT animal... I hope and pray you are a solid dude !

16. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

So I know you've been going through a lot lately but have things really gotten so bad that you're watching Judge Judy on a regular basis? :Poke: :D

17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Technically, he was given the dog by her father, so she has no claim. And you can't ungive a gift.
    Just ignore her, she has no case. If she's looking to get him back, though, be careful she can't get access to him. Like having keys to your place, say.
    If she gains possession, you would have a tough time getting him back.

18. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Agree with IYC^

Also make sure your dog walker knows what's going on.

Got a response from a very respected local rescue group founder about your situation. Hypothetically: "We would likely check out the guy's situation & let him keep the dog if all was copacetic. I'd likely threaten to sue her for the breach of contract listed in our contract. That's a tough one."

What little ""claim"" she has on the dog stems from the entity she adopted from. If they're on your side, she's got absolutely no grounds. Most likely they wouldn't support her efforts if she did contact them.

PS. Get him microchipped, too. If she manages to steal him, then dumps him off three counties over, they'll be able to trace him to you.

19. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

^This!

20. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Thanks for reaching out for me. :beer:

She is microchipped already, but probably with the ex's info - I think they enter that stuff at the time of adoption. I need to look into getting that changed.

As far as my situation is concerned, I just became a full time test engineer at a major aerospace company working on rockets. I may be second shift, but that means my days are open and I use that time to do activities with the dog like going to the park, going on hikes, etc. LA is pretty dog friendly, so the dog pretty much comes with me everywhere.

Good call about talking with the dog walker too. The walker is a woman who lives in my building and she can vouch for my living conditions and can also vouch that the dog has been living with me for a while before I needed her assistance after the breakup.