1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leaded Setup

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by Thud, May 22, 2002.

1. Thud

Thud New Member

Ok I know this question as probably been asked before but here goes. I am in the process of setting up a Honda RS250 and wanted to get some learned opinions as to engine setup and fuel. The bike in question is an essentially new 99 model setup for unleaded fuel. Should I go ahead and setup the machine for leaded fuel (mill heads, etc.) or leave it as is? If I choose to go leaded what fuel is the concensus recommendation? By the way I am not extremely price conscious. Also what is everyone's opinion as to engine life/reliability based on fuel choice?

Thanks......

2. gpwannabe

gpwannabe Well-Known Member

Most seem to run vpc12. I just switched from Sunoco purple to c12. I don't know if milling the heads is worth it vs buying vhm heads with inserts. That allows you to tune your setup. From what I've researched, leaded is easier on the engine.

3. Bill Cole

Bill Cole Well-Known Member

Thud, We have a 2000 RS 250 and had the engine done by Kevin Murray before we even started it. We knew we were going to run leaded and are running C-12. We challenged him very hard to have the heads cut (just milling is not the way to do it) to the lower volume and he said they run great on the unleaded set up with leaded fuel. And it does. You may want to give him a call.. Just dont distract him to much because he is rebuilding my 125 engine right now...

Bill Cole

4. cedestech

cedestech Well-Known Member

Racing anything less then AMA pro you probably won't notice
    a bit of difference between the propper heads and
    the stock Unleaded ones.
    You'll need to run lean unleaded needles becasue I don't think they have true leaded needles for your carbs.
    Get the power up manual and it gives set up info
    for the unleaded bikes on leaded fuel.

Emmett.

5. Bill Cole

Bill Cole Well-Known Member

Emmett, Your dead on. We are using the unleaded needles just dropping them in deeper. Works well and carbs smooth..

Bill Cole