1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Lay'er down" is an effective means of stopping a motorcycle. True or false?

Discussion in 'General' started by eggfooyoung, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Only time is when something immovable is approaching and you have no traction - get the hell away from the bike. Walls/trees come to mind at the track and off.

stk0308 likes this.
  2. BigBird

BigBird blah

So what is the correct answer then? It seems to be effective in some situations...

3. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

When was the last time someone made it to the road at Grattan?

4. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Didn't Eddie Lawson have such a moment during practice at Laguna Seca back in 1990? If I remember correctly, his front brake pads had dropped out of the calipers and he was at full stem headed towards turn 2. That's a "lay'er down" moment if ever there was one.

5. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

In 25 years of litigating motorcycle accidents I have seen exactly one (1) case where "laying it down" made sense: guy on a Kaw was able to slide under a large truck that turned left in front of him. His only injury came from his initial impact with the pavement and he never touched the truck.

I tell insurance adjusters to take "no pay/low pay" positions when ever a rider claims "I had to lay it down."

And I'm convinced that a sizable portion of the goofballs who claim "I had to lay it down" actually just jumped off their bikes because they had no idea how to perform an emergency stop or turn.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Been a while, since before we started requiring pad pins to be secured I believe.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Thing is most people who do it aren't racing and heading for a wall with a stuck throttle or come around a corner in the woods to a downed tree. They're doing it because a car turned in front of them and they panic.

8. charles

charles The Transporter

Okay, it would appear that 'lay'er down' is not only appropriate but desirable under certain conditions. I believe those here with experience doing this regularly should provide detailed instructions on the exact method of perfoming this essential motorcycling skill…for example, does it matter which side of the bike is 'layed down' or do the laws of physics take care of that? And, for example, is there a preferred method of preparing one's body to facilitate the 'lay'er down' technique? Clearly, this process requires the input of wizened professionals.

Have at it then...

9. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Me too. They crashed on purpose...to avoid a crash. Oivey.

10. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

Interesting. I do motorcycle crash reconstruction work. I had a similar case where a tractor trailer pulled out in front a motorcycle. The rider skidded the front, went down and slid under the trailer to the other side. He got up and went to find the truck driver.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If at Roebling you are going into T1 and have no brakes I would suggest throwing it into the turn and see what happens, you will most likely lay 'er down. If you have panicked and are heading straight off - as soon as the bike touches grass jump backwards, tuck and roll....

12. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I'd suggest the same for turn 4 also. :oops:

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Didn't you go off riders right in 3 to start that whole thing? But yeah, if you're heading for a line of wall or trees - at that point get the hell away from the 400+ pound chunk of metal and plastic that will hurt you if it gets the chance.

14. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

People on a race forum really have to ask this question?? Odd.........:p

15. charles

charles The Transporter

If it's my question you question…I wanted to know exactly and precisely how to 'lay'er down.'

I want the truth.

16. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

In a team challenge race, I had a racer that was being lapped overcook the entrance to T4 at Thunderbolt and ran through the grass and crossed the exit of T5 perpendicular to the race direction. He nearly T boned me and another rider. It's his obligation to stuff that bike into the ground as opposed to crossing the race surface in an unsafe manner and turning his mistake into a three bike incident. So, yeah, lay 'er down.

17. TheGrouchyCat

TheGrouchyCat Don't let my friends know I'm slow

Attached Files:

BigBird likes this.
  18. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Actually, the forum asked the people.

BigBird likes this.
  19. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

I've laid it down at Roebling T1. Got into a situation that I didn't want to force others to take evasive maneuvers, so I ran off. Wet grass and sand suck for traction and that wall was coming fast. The hard parts worked really well at getting it stopped. Bodywork was barely scuffed.

20. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Semantics......:D