1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Larger oil cooler options for 2V Ducati's????

Discussion in 'Tech' started by tzrboy, Sep 26, 2007.

1. jdavis

jdavis Well-Known Member

Correct. The thermostat allows the oil to more quickly come up to temperature. One other option you might wish to consider is installing an OEM cooler from a MH Ducati. As you can see, it's larger than the cooler on your bike, may fit on your bracket, and may allow you to reuse your hoses.

jD

Attached Files:

2. tzrboy

tzrboy Working hard to play harder!

Ironically I have a Hailwood in the showroom on display-and did take a gooood look-concern being there NO used ones out there...and even dealer cost on a new one is crazy working here....hence the looking for a good-larger-alum. alternative.

3. tzrboy

Okay, so the inspection covers as seen on the older Monsters and the MH are on the old, non Dual Spark motor..and are an oblong/oval shape as opposed to the new motor-which sucks.

I have located:

a 999 oil cooler for $100

a 996/998R Corse cooler for about $600

I was thinking of mounting the stocker in front of the fairing bracket for maximum cooling and vent the fairing for airflow. Then mount brackets down from orig location on valve inspection cover down to in front of head pipe as the older bikes. Using the 999 V style looks easier to do this.....or I run the Corse cooler in the fairing and add the extra 999 anyway but am spending about the same amount a a Febur cooler.

I like the point that Max (Xseal) has after mounting his Febur cooler in the SS front fairing up front...that allows air to reach the rear cylinder that the stock cooler location blocks. my big resistance again is the crash damage to the cooler in that fairing location.

4. jdavis

jdavis Well-Known Member

another approach might be this one, perhaps with some ducting.

jD

Attached Files:

5. tzrboy

Side mount too concerning with my upper fairing blocking the sides-rather put it in the front if going that route..... but thanks:)

6. tzrboy

Bringing this thread back to life now.

I got a second cooler and was doing the hose and end homework.

So Ducati uses these fitting that are JIS (Japanese Ind Strength) sizing- now seeing the custom red/blue alum. combos and wanting it pretty.....

Anyone know where I can find the ends in different degree bends to clear what I need-I can get the hose and have the fitting installed right....but even the hose/end specialty place in this area does not deal with JIS fittings.

?????????

7. jdavis

jdavis Well-Known Member

8. tzrboy

I've checked them but no one can confirm the JIS conversion to ........?

You're saying it's a -6 or an AN6 as you've used them on yours personally JD?

I'm just nervous as I want to be damn sure I get the right ones to go right on once I have both coolers mounted here shortly and ready to test.

Still haven't found a thermostat then for the same reason-knowing the fitting end sizes.

Thank you for the help. My direct email is [email protected] if easier:)

9. jdavis

jdavis Well-Known Member

When I asked the original source of my oil thermostat what size the fittings for the thermostat were, this is what I was told and it's what I asked for at my local hydraulic hose supplier when I went shopping for the connectors that are on my bike:

jonathan,

the fittings are 3/8" pipe to a -6.

thanks,

george
    customer service - evoluzione.net, inc.
    http://www.evoluzione.net

But I don't know which oil cooler you have, so your fittings may be different (and fyi, I believe JIS is the abbreviation for ''Japanese Industrial Standard").

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  10. tzrboy

Ok thank you, will do the homework on that fitting size now and see where I'm at.

Appreciate the experience:up:

11. jdavis

jdavis Well-Known Member

I could not figure out a way to attach it here, so I sent you an email with a diagram of the OEM oil cooler and lines for a 2006 Sport Classic lifted from the Ducati website. If your second cooler is the same as your OEM cooler, the fittings for it are entirely different from the fittings on my bike.

jD

12. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

http://www.setrabusa.com/

I had a cooler from this company on a superbike 600. It looks like they have fittings and parts as well.

13. tzrboy

JD,

The second cooler I got was off a '99 900SS and is exact as in the fiche spec. you sent.

Knowing that I now have a bigger issue no? 2 totally different hose ends are shown- what a big pain in my ASS!!!!!!:mad:

14. tzrboy

Joe, thanks for the site-yup, looked at them early on being a P.U. dealer but with their slip over ends and rubber hose-thought an exact Ducati piece with the threaded ends would match up easier.....now looking that I may have had "pipe dreams" on that too....

15. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

The one I had was done with AN fittings and braided SS lines. I actually got the hardware from Jegs after I got the cooler.

Good luck on your project. Not a "lightweight" bike in my book, but definitely a sharp bike!

16. tzrboy

Any pics of that then Joe by chance-I look at all option folks have done.

And this bike isn't racing "lightweight" here... I'd have to put it in Heavy now with the winter changes(the tubeless spokes killed it's SS ability, and now has motor mods going on until April....)

That's why I run it....so non Duc lovers or whomever have that same thought....sharp, something different, etc.:up: