1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Larger oil cooler options for 2V Ducati's????

Discussion in 'Tech' started by tzrboy, Sep 26, 2007.

1. tzrboy

tzrboy Working hard to play harder!

I have only seen one from an Italian company for some big bucks-but it doesn't look much larger than stock.

This is for a Dual Spark 1000 engine....any ideas or tips from another bike to will work....much appreciated.

2. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I looked into getting an Earl's cooler for my 800 and they said they'd make one if I sent the OEM one in as a reference. I realized that it would make the bike illegal for SS so I scrapped it, but I'd check them out.

EDIT: I just looked for the contact info I had and realized it wasn't Earls, it was a different place. I'll dig it up and post later on.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  3. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

we put a 996 corsa oil cooler on my ds1000 engine. it was hard to find and expensive but we blew 2 stock coolers so decided to spring for the good one. noticeable temp drop as well...

4. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

5. tzrboy

Thanks guys! Looking to do some "non S/S" racing in 2008, and would prefer to not cook the motor with mods we're doing.

The pic looks good:up: Good luck at the GNF guys!:beer:

6. Gumby647

Gumby647 SeƱor Member

If you search for oil coolers on Summitracing.com you will come up with a lot of options. Just pick one that will fit in the space you have and either get fittings to adapt your hoses. Or make new hoses. I'd recommend staying with a bar and plate style like stock and not a tube and fin.

7. Racer773

Racer773 Backmarker

I'm working on the same project.

I bought a used XX9 trapazoidal oil cooler off ebay with lines for like $100 and we plan on mounting it up in serial to the existing stock 1000DS cooler. My mechanic currently has the bike and is fabricating up some brackets so the additional cooler will sit right in the stock XX9 location using the existing hangers. Eyeballing it we think that by using a mixture of the stock lines we should be able to get the entire unit to bolt right together. If the lines twist or make contact with something we don't want it to hit the worst case scenario we will need to buy or modify 1 oil line.

Once we get it together and tested I'll let you know how it works. I am hoping its going to be finished up sometime in the next week to 10 days.

George

8. tzrboy

George,

PM sent.:up:

9. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Sorry Chris, I can't find the contact info I had. I can tell you that I called Doug at ARC fab, and he had several options available to him as well (they build lots of Ducs up there).

Hope some of this helps.

10. tzrboy

Dave, it all helps:) I have talked to Doug this summer as he offered to do an exhaust for me (and I'll remove the Zard I love!) and I'm currently trying to raise the funds to afford his 'motor expertise'-he is finishing up a move from NH down to Wv. He was next to BCM and I assumed he may tie in with Donnie at DucPond (who built Marston's #81 800ss Ltwt class killer up here - should be fun to see at the GNF), but Donnie has not returned email and I don't like calling and bugging guys with crap that I explain better in writing-and I have their pricing on paper then since all of this is labor really.

I'm glad I posted this here- it goes to show how many Duc guys really are out there and the help in the twins community - nothing against the big 4, I-4 guys...you and I were there last year Dave-and got the plates and injuries to prove it;)

Thanks for all of the help guys.:beer:

11. tzrboy

FYI..the cooler is for this "ugly Duc":up:

Sorry to say it will not see a WERA grid in 2008..being it's not Ltwt legal and a waste of time in Hvt up here-with me riding it anyway.:(

Attached Files:

12. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

Thunderduc running some Thunderbike? :D

13. tzrboy

2 weeks ago Brett - I suck, but damn it's fun. Be down for a trackday Mon Oct.15th if your nearby..seeing where we end up with setup for this year-do some motor fun while it's cold...and be back at Summit in Spring:up:

14. jdavis

jdavis Well-Known Member

Added a second cooler to my M900 pretty easily.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  15. tzrboy

Very cool. Questions now:

I have a fear of that tire hitting the lower cooler at race speed on the brakes and diving the forks to almost the bottom...vs street riding and the brake dive.....thoughts??

The union coming off of the motor to split the lines.... homemade? Other?

Looks like you used another valve cover for the lower cooler mount same as top-just reversed?

:up:

16. jdavis

jdavis Well-Known Member

My '95 900SS-CR came OEM with the cooler in the lower position and although I never raced it, I did any number of track days on it and never had that particular problem. I did have a rock punch a hole in it one time, which is why I added the expanded metal covers to both coolers on the Monster.
    You're correct, I nabbed a valve cover with the tabs on Ebay.
    I think the "union" you're asking about is actually a thermostat, which until the oil tempemature hits about 180 degrees F. allows only a small flow of oil into the upper cooler, which is in series with the lower cooler. (second photo).
    FYI, I found the pictures of these bikes on the Internet, and both are of race bikes with two coolers.

Attached Files:

17. jdavis

jdavis Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention that Motowheels has an oversize cooler in their on-line catalogue, but it's out of stock and costs $450.

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/mySearchResult.cfm?parentcategoryid=&productID=2770&showDetail=1&categoryID=36|Ducati%202%20%26%203%20Valve&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=oil%20cooler&collection=

jD

18. tzrboy

JD,

Thanks for the great pics. Can you PM me where that thermostat piece is from then(if you know that)....makes life easier for sure.

I looked at the MotoWheels stuff-but had an issue with them back in August on an order...and will not spend money there again.

That last red SS racer is sick-sick sick sick! I love it. The easier I can just add a cooler or replace the small one with a single larger unit, etc.-the better.

The Russle braided lines with colored fittings are tasty too-all good stuff.

19. jdavis

jdavis Well-Known Member

The thermostat was sold by http://www.evoluzione.net/ who also made complete kits for some Aprilia Milles and Ducati superbikes. A couple of years ago they were even listed in the Lockhart-Phillips catalogue, but Evoluzione stopped producing them for lack of buying interest. You can get similar thermostats from race car places like http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/ but you'll have to fabricate a bracket. The red bike is sick, although I do question the choice of material for the hose attached to the crankcase breather.

jD

20. tzrboy

JD,

Thanks for those-so the thermostat is there to just aid the oil..but not to add another cooler per say as all of the lines I see on those dual cooler bikes just feed from cooler into the other and then just back to the motor?