1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

laptop camera blocker

Discussion in 'General' started by Hotfoot, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

Anyone have a clever removable option to cover the built in web camera on a slim laptop? I used to disable the camera in privacy settings but now I have to use the webcam often for meetings so I need an easy on/off cover. I see tons of options on Amazon for covers that stick on but reviews say they can crack the screen due to pressure points when the laptop is closed. And I don't' really want to use a strong adhesive on the laptop to attach it, either.

Right now I am using a piece of post-it but it falls off, any thoughts for something that like a cling vinyl that I can just peel on and off when needed? Or is there a slide on clip type cover that will cover both the front and rear camera, that I can just slide on when the laptop is open and off when I close it? The laptop is a Surface Pro.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

A piece of tape with a piece of paper in the middle. Stick the paper over the camera with the tape on the sides. Peel it off when you want to use the camera, stick another on when you don't want someone watching you.

rk97 and stk0308 like this.
  3. G 97

G 97 Garth

What Dave said.
    5E068A14-3FA1-4F1E-B677-0EBE8DFDD92B.jpeg

rk97 likes this.
  4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Electrical tape, same fix as for check engine lights and tire pressure lights :D

beac83, Sabre699, 969 and 8 others like this.
  6. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Find a friend with a 3D printer. Print a channel about the same width of your laptop in NinjaFlex (won't scratch like a harder material). Slide it on whenever you want to cover the camera.

Hotfoot likes this.
  7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

As mentioned you can go low-tech and just put a piece of electric tape over it if you plan to never use it. If you just want it covered until you need it then yeah there are tons of placed where you can buy these little sliding covers that stick on. We'd give these away at trade shows by the bucketload.

[​IMG]

8. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I use one of these quite a bit. It's been great.

I wish there was a similar option for the mic. I'm always worried that I'm going to let out a reactionary "that's a fucking stupid idea" on a hot mic.

9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Yeah, I've got 4 lights taped over in my truck. :D

R Acree likes this.
  10. Hotfoot

AHA! That is a great idea, my kid has a 3D printer, that is exactly what I will do.

In regards to the other posts - I thought of electrical tape but it might leave residue and I do need the camera 2-3 times per week. As I mentioned in my original post, the sliding covers on amazon look great but reviews say they can crack the laptop screen, I don't want to chance that. 3D printed slip on bracket is a perfect solution, thank you, I'll just remove it when I close the lid.

The Beeb delivers, thanks. :)

11. Venom51

A post it note works fine and leaves no residue.

12. Phl218

Phl218 .

i ordered my laptop without camera. "sorry, i don't have video available"

best decision right after the backlit keyboard .

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Until it falls off.

14. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Don't forget the airbag/ABS lights! :D

Banditracer likes this.
  15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

ac foil tape works great too :)

16. Hotfoot

Yep, a Post-It is what I was using, and they fall off. Then I used a scrap of paper with tape over it, but the tape starts to shred and/or not stick after you take it off and put it back on a few times. Since I now have to participate in Zoom calls regularly, but only need the camera on for SOME of them, I needed a better plan. :)

17. Hotfoot

Doesn't that have really aggressive adhesive? I need to be able to take it on and off multiple times a week.

18. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

You'd actually be surprised how well a single layer of Scotch Magic Tape works.

19. Venom51

You fold it in half and drape it over the lid with the adhesive side on the outside of the note book. The adhesive doesn't have that much work to do. Gravity will do most of it. Cheap to free to replace when lost or damaged.

svracer22 and R Acree like this.
  20. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

But my solution entertains his son also and is custom :beer:

Hotfoot likes this.