1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Landline spam calls…

Discussion in 'General' started by turner38, May 25, 2022.

1. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

So, the last couple of days we’ve been getting calls on the shop number from people saying they had a missed call from us, not just one or two but probably a couple of dozen.
    I have a feeling someone is somehow showing out number as the number they are calling from while doing spam calls.
    Does anyone have any insight on this or any idea how to stop it?

2. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

Have you registered that number on the donotcall.gov site?

3. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

spoofing phone numbers is quite common now...once got one from my own number

YamahaRick likes this.
  4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

The short answer is you can't stop it.

The long answer comes to the same conclusion but goes over the ways Caller-ID isn't authenticated or validated, a technical discussion on call handoffs and routing and a legal discussion about how telephone carriers are defined and why they generally HAVE to route known crap calls to you and the corollary that has to the internet and demands of matching 'net neutrality' on it. If you can get the call info (number the call went to, timestamp, what it showed for caller ID, etc) you can try to raise complaints with either the telco if it's the same as yours or the FCC but nothing will come from it. At some point the scammer will latch onto a new number to spoof and you'll stop seeing callbacks.

beac83 likes this.
  5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

So who should I be pissed at, the spammers, or the idiots that actually buy what they sell? If no one bought, they would eventually stop.

gixxerboy55 and turner38 like this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd be pissed at the dummies who call the spammers caller ID number too.

Jedb likes this.
  7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

It's a buffet, you're not restricted to only being mad at one group.

R Acree likes this.
  8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Awesome...I'll just stick with hating everyone.

R1M370, beac83, Sabre699 and 2 others like this.
  9. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

F5C289A0-C424-4104-AF50-2F01FCC67ABD.jpeg

10. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Some old lady called my cell one day and said to stop calling her and then we had to have the 5 minute conversation where I explained to her it was a robot that stole my number.

turner38 and Nathey like this.
  11. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Congress recently made another attempt to clamp down on spoofed Caller ID's. This is in addition to the STIR/SHAKEN rule passed about 18 months ago and which went into full effect recently.

Basically, these calls are coming from outside the US, where our laws have little effect. The new rule will require carriers to verify that the Caller ID matches the AIN (the originating phone number). Calls that don't can be blocked by the carrier or marked as "potential spam".

Its very difficult to end Caller ID (ICLID) spoofing on SIP (voice over IP) lines. the new TRACED act attempts to figure out how to erect barriers to spoofing.

https://www.fcc.gov/TRACEDAct

YamahaRick likes this.
  12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

13. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

Buy an air horn off Amazon.
    Wait for the "cash offer" realtors to call.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  14. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

can you point me to the long answer somewhere? i have been dying to know the technical and legal reasons that this situation continues to exist.

15. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I yell or make other loud noises when I get to talk to the scammer.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

“This is Bob Jones (or some other cracker ass cracker name but spoken with a heavy Indian (dot, not feather) accent) with Microsoft, your computer is . . .”
    “I don’t have a computer.”
    “I’m, your computer is infected with viruses and is leaving. . .”
    “Don’t have a computer, I’m Amish.”
    “Your computer is. . .”
    “Amish, no computer, no car, no electricity in my house, no internets. . . No telephone.”
    “You don’t have a telephone? No computer? “
    “Nope, nothing.”
    “Then how am I talking to you now?”
    “Shit if I know but I do have something.”
    “No phone?”
    “Nope, no computer either. But. . <long pause >”
    “No phone?”
    “Nope, but I do have a 10” cock and I’m stroking it now, want me describe it?”
    <click>

17. Resident Plarp

Amateurs -

Threaten to kill their whole family after you impale Suckdeep’s ma with a bloody cow’s femur all while he watches. Tell him you’ll eat him last.

Remind Rakesh that you have so much clean water you poop in it. Sometimes you don’t even bother to flush but instead have your made do it for you after a polite grunt.

Turn on the faucet to fill and then drink a glass of clean water while Samir intently listens.

Ask Shaleesh that, before he starts his schpiel, he removes a piece of clothing.

Tell Apu that AIDS and poverty aren’t anything like it is in the alleys of Jalalabadd. And no one starves to death. Remind him that Magic Johnson is still alive.

And mom jokes, always go with mom jokes. They hate that, for some reason.

18. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I always ask them if they each have their own goat, or if they have to take turns. Who decides who goes first? I bet you’re always last, and have to do the clean up, aren’t you?

19. Resident Plarp

“I have a bed all to myself and only one power line is attached to my house.”

Other than unrealistic threats, you gotta make it relative to their actual living situation. So yeah, goat fucking makes sense.