1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KTM390 intermittent stalling issue

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Alex_V, Aug 27, 2023.

1. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

So, I bought a 2022 KTM390 Adventure from a salvage auction. Bike sat for some time, but the damage was really minor and I had it road-ready in no time. 6K miles on the odometer.

- Ran a couple of tanks of fresh gas with injector cleaner
    - New fuel filter
    - New spark plug
    - New air filter
    - Bike starts and idles well, reaches top speed, and keeps running at full throttle under load without a hiccup.
    - Engine runs excellent
    - Did about 500 miles of street and offroad riding since I had it with the same problem happening. Maybe a little less then in the very beginning, but it's not getting better.

Intermittent Problem: When pulling in the clutch in any gear, RPMs can drop past idle and stall the engine. Dash remains powered up, and bike re-starts almost immediately. Doesn't happen every time, but every ride at least a couple of times.

First I thought of the faulty kill switch, but it immediately kills the power. This is a quick RPM drop and stall. So it can't be a kill switch. People on KTM forums suggest a clutch switch, but I don't agree. It controls the starter, and does not kill the engine.

Recent thoughts:
    - Maybe Bad TPS?
    - Run Throttle body cleaner (that's a hell mary)?
    - Failing Fuel pump, but why only at off throttle?
    - Full system makes the bike run too lean at idle, but stock airbox and filter should AF mixture close to stock, and again this is intermittent.

Your thoughts on this riddle?