1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KTM 450 SMR vs. Husky FS 450

Discussion in 'General' started by jdmosley43, Oct 30, 2020.

1. jdmosley43

jdmosley43 Well-Known Member

I can't find anything at all online different between the 2... hoping someone here has an answer?

I was told the MX bikes share most of the same parts, but are set up with different ride heights that makes them feel like 2 different bikes.. does anyone know exactly what, if any differences there are between the new KTM and Husky?

2. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

one is orange and one is white.

i’m pretty sure all the parts that matter are the same

Spooner and noles19 like this.
  3. turbulence

i’m also pissed because i like orange ktms and had a 450smr in the past.

but ktm didn’t make a supermoto last year and so i bought the husky.. then ktm drops the new smr :mad:

vdub 2.0 likes this.
  4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Same bikes other than the Husky having a plastic subframe. Unlike SMRs of the past the new SMR (and FS as well) are using the SXF frame instead of a bespoke one for sumo. SXF swing arm, etc. Basically wheels, wider, lower offset clamps, different fork lugs, radial caliper with matching master, and different suspension valving vs the MX model.

cbush likes this.
  5. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Brembo brakes on the orange bike would be the clear advantage in my eyes.

Ducti89 likes this.
  6. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Riding the two, with your eyes closed, you wont notice a difference.

If you are looking for dealer support, then buy KTM as there are 5x as many dealers around.

If you buy online stuff then either is fine and go with the best deal you get.

If you need either faster, and championship level, then give me a call.

If youre just playing then just adjust your suspension and enjoy the fuck out of it. But your level will depend on if you need any further work such as suspension and power.

Both are crazy reliable and stupid fun.

7. Robby-Bobby

they both have Brembo latest radial.

turbulence and masshole like this.
  8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Same Brembo radial caliper on the front of both machines.

turbulence and masshole like this.
  9. turbulence

do you provide tuning options for these? i’ve got a 2020 FS with a full FMF... as of right now i’m running my stock ECU with no tuning.. all i’ve been able to find is the $800 vortex ecu.. are there any other options?

10. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

just be aware of the magura hydraulic clutch issue (slave cyl) on the huskys. best to replace with a brembo, or rekluse slave, and save youself lost riding, and headaches. Ski

noles19 likes this.
  11. turbulence

Oberon is another option. First thing I changed on mine

s4senna likes this.
  12. Robby-Bobby

Fuck yea I do.

The "GET" is by far the best. In fact, we basically introduced them to American Flat Track with our Husky. I can literally tune it with my phone, and several times throughout the season last year I did just that.

Funny story, we were struggling with grip at texas 1/2 mile and Dalton is a very good "car track" rider but it glossed over and he barely made the main. Everyone was struggling so i threw a hail mary and retarded the fuck out of the ignition timing on the starting line with my phone and he started back row in the feature and drove around the outside of everyone and finished 5th. he came back in and said holy fuck that was the fastest slow bike i have ever rode. It was a turd but it HOOKED UP.

turbulence and sheepofblue like this.
  13. Robby-Bobby

Yup, thats the ONLY negative about the husky. We were at the next to last race last year and the slave went out on the starting line. Dalton jammed it into gear and got it in high gear and after the race removed the drain and roached the entire fucking tranny. But it finished and he couldnt even get it back to the pits cause it was stuck in 5th. LOL shitty master cylinder, but strong fucking motor.

14. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

If it was wireless it is too bad you could not jack it on the straight then drop it before the turn. Probably only get one straight and likely not the length.

15. Robby-Bobby

nah the way that track was, they were spinning the tire down the straights. Hell, half the bikes were glowing the rear rotors.

sheepofblue likes this.
  16. turbulence

i’m not sure what GET is, but would you mind shooting me a PM with some info? thanks man

17. Robby-Bobby

turbulence likes this.
  18. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

husky has a carbon subframe btw. i've heard some people like the 2016-18 FS frame since its got more flex than the 19+ frame.. idk, i own a 2018 and love it

19. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Plastic with carbon fibers in it. An evolution of glass fiber reinforced plastic. Still, the primary material is plastic, unlike something based on CF weave.

turbulence and Suzuka_joe like this.
  20. turbulence

A4464DFB-56E3-4BC5-8725-6DF2F5A587D0.jpeg

composite.. meaning plastic.

at least on the 2020

[​IMG]