1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KTM 450 SMR vs. Husky FS 450

Discussion in 'General' started by jdmosley43, Oct 30, 2020.

1. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

robby bobby, any suggestions on GET for a KTM 2017 xcf250? guessing the ones that fit the sxf250 4t, will work? which unit would be helpful, better, easier, for a dyno tuner? getting ready to decide to buy a new bike, or update/refresh the 2017, leaning to the refresh. trying to squeeze a bit more out of the 250f, without needing exotic fuel. really want a 350f, cant stomach the 10g's for a dirt bike thing. Ski

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

They also make power commanders for the ktm and husky if you want to go that route for a tune

3. noles19

Also from my point of view and several faster guys I ride with the stock suspension is good, really good honestly. Sure the top 5% fastest guys could upgrade but besides that it's easy to dial in. I will recommend not running the forks too stuff or it feels chopperd out, I run 9 bar in mine.

4. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

da fuq is with the welds on that frame? why so narrow and tall?

5. skidooboy

the early air fork 17-18 had no bleed valve control, and only one shim in the mid valve (that would break regularly, on rough use). it suffers from non compliance, harshness, vague front end feel, wont track in a turn very well. i have never lost the front so much on a dirt bike than i have with the stock set up, once i came up to "speed". no i second guess, and tip toe through turns, afraid i am going to lose the front every turn. HATE THAT NON CONFIDENCE FEELING.

i am trying to decide on what way i am going to go with the suspension, big dollar kreft stuff, ktech stuff, local tuner that has a good 17+ aer48 set up, or my normal guy who has a good handle on things but, not fully up on the latest and greatest but, will work with me. Ski

6. noles19

What suspension does your bike have? Aer48?

7. jdmosley43

jdmosley43 Well-Known Member

I've got a 125sx with the AER48. It's with Kent at GMD right now getting the Race Tech cartridge, and I can't wait to see how it performs!

The 21 Husky is showing 6lbs heavier than the KTM.. and that doesn't seem to be the case in moto trim just curious to see what the differences are.

Rad to see the SMR back, but right now husky is the only one paying contingency.. thought that was weird too.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    noles19 likes this.
  8. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

If you can swing it get the ohlins. Either full kit or the drop in. OMG sooooo good. I’ve got one of each

9. skidooboy

yes.

Ski

noles19 likes this.
  10. skidooboy

hell for the full race tech kit, you might as well go with kreft. not that much different in pricing. where's melka when we need him. ;) Ski

11. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

Timely thread as I just bought a ‘19 FS450

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WANABE RACER and jdmosley43 like this.
  12. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

i run 10.6 bar in mine. turned it down to 10.2bar and ended up wrecking my front tire from too much weight over the front and tearing it.

13. noles19

Weird I've never had a issue and neither have others that run similar

14. Suzuka_joe

yeah, i run 30-31psi hot on K1 front, 24hot k1 rear. I don't touch the dirt and I'm a knee down guy so i guess i have alot of weight on the front. we have a triple apex bowl turn that tightens as you go through it so you are slowing so putting more weight over it. i think at a different track i'd be able to run lower fork pressure. I"m going to upgrade to ktech spring conversion before spring anyways.

15. noles19

Interesting I run knee down and so do the others I know that are fast, CMP has a good mix of tight and sweeping turns. We all run around 25 hot front on the k1 also

16. Suzuka_joe

weird. maybe i'll come up there and ride next year.

OMC 8/19 Kart Track Session 5 FS450 - I'm in OKC. This kart track is 10 min from my house

17. noles19

Ahhh yeah that's a lot rougher than CMP I can see why you need different settings

18. noles19

Here's a nice video at CMP of two huskys. The camera bike has ohlins, and trick cobra parts and the tekmo swingarm.
    The bike in front is completely stock

TLR67 and Triple X like this.
  19. Suzuka_joe

@noles19 have you or anyone you know had issues with the front wheel holding air? mine has a leak and i know another guy who had the same issue. spokes are tight. Does husky have a rebuild kit they offer for the wheel? Maybe i'll just have my front relaced with new seals. 2018 w/ 31hrs

20. noles19

I've heard of one guy having issues with it. His only did it running dunlops for some reason. They are alpina wheels so I'd talk to them about it