1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kosovo UN troops involved in sex slavery

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by peekay, May 6, 2004.

1. peekay

peekay Well-Known Member

Report published one day after UN officials condemned US troops for prison abuses:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3686173.stm

"UN and Nato troops in the region are using the trafficked women and girls for sex and some have been involved in trafficking itself. [...] Girls as young as 11 from eastern European countries are being sold into the sex slavery. In the year and half to July 2003 some 22-27 K-For troops were suspected of offences relating to trafficking, the report says. However, Kfor troops and UN personnel are immune from prosecution in Kosovo and those who have been dismissed relating to such offences have escaped any criminal proceedings in their home countries. "

-peekay

2. WeaselBob

WeaselBob Well-Known Member

I guess this is supposed to excuse what we did?

lame, lame, lame

3. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

No, but it shows what a load of bullshit Kerry's "let the UN do it" motto really is.

4. WeaselBob

not as much bullshit as George's war... we wouldn't have all this trouble if he'd been open and honest, now would we?

5. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

You assume I think it's bullshit.

I don't.

WMD's? We've found enough evidence of them to convince me. More importantly, we didn't need to find them. Saddam was supposed to present them to the inspectors. He didn't, so we ran him out of power. Fuck him and the goats he slept with.

I've also seen more than enough evidence to convince me of a connection between Iraq and Al Qeada. Tim McVeigh was found with a wallet full of Iraqi phone numbers when he was arrested. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Invading and conquering Iraq was justified then and hindsight has shown it to be a good call. Not to mention it's a totally moot point.

6. WeaselBob

you hins site is a hell of lot different than man, and yess it's moot, wnd we're pretty fucked bacause of it, but I guess that's a matter of opinion too...unless you're a dead GI or Iraqi citizen

7. ash174

ash174 Well-Known Member

What would have been your plan of attack? I got a feeling you would be on your knees right now!!!!

8. halowords

halowords Well-Known Member

Kasimirsky, you've always got a way with words. :cool:

Weasel, I wish Bush had at least got U.N. support, but why anybody would shed tears over Saddam being rooted out of power is beyond me. The crap that's happening in the Mid East is horrible. But is anybody really that surprised? IT'S WAR! That's not a justification for it, but really, REALLY bad things happen in war. It sucks, but there are virtually always going to be bad people doing bad things. To blame that on Bush, or all of America, or the U.N. as an organization is rubbish.

I don't think we need to be excused for getting Saddam out of Iraq. Not that I agree with everything that's happened since the 9/11 terrorist attacks, but ousting Saddam and (hopefully) dismantling the Al-Qaida are important for the U.S. to do. Sentiments for war always go sour once it goes on for a while and the novelty wears off. These things have happened in wars throughout history, it's just now we have the media coverage to make this stuff about abuse front-page news in every household in America and sensationalist news media immediately tries to conjure up some conspiracy or create as much turbulence as possible.

Again, this doesn't make it right, but it's not like we have any evidence these atrocities were approved and supported by Bush or the heads of the U.N.

-Cheers

9. WeaselBob

Look, I can't stand GW, but I believe that HE believes in what he's doing... I just think he's terribly wrong in the way he goes about leading the country, but I don't think he has some hdden, evil agenda.

And no I don't think the Pres or his immediate admin ordered this abuse; probably some gung-ho misguided asshole in MI or CIA ordered it, or implied it, or encouraged it. Becasue of some asshole America's reputation with the world is shit, and a lot of damn fine soldiers' hard work is ruined.

As far as the abuse, what pisses me off the most: the Pentagon had those photos since January, they started an investigation, but in the last 4-5 months did NOTHING to stop what was happening.. They did NOTHING until someone leaked the photos and they wound up in the news. They did NOTHING until their ass was hanging out. to me that's inexcusable, that's disgusting.

I can compare it to: if I knew my 8-year-old was torturing younger kids, and I did nothing until he got caught by someone else. I'd be tarred and feathered and skinned alive :eek:

10. peekay

peekay Well-Known Member

To say that the military "did nothing" to stop abuses until the pictures were leaked is extremely wrong. What is disgusting is that some (read: Daschle, Pelosi, Kennedy) would exploit this situation to score election year political points.

The pictures were published on April 28th. Here's the relevant timeline:

1) In late December or early January, SPC Joseph M. Darby saw evidence of detainee abuse the Abu Ghraib prison facility and alerted Military law enforcement.

2) On January 10th, the Army's Criminal Investigation Division (CID) led by Colonel Jerry Mocello began interrogating soldiers at Abu Ghraib.

3) On January 14th, CID detained SSG. Ivan L. Frederick II for alleged abuses at Abu Ghraib and searched his quarters at 2:30am.

4) On January 16th, the US Central Command issued a press release to the media noting abuses at an Iraqi detention facility. The press release was aired on CNN (I remember watching it.)

5) On January 17th, Brigadier General Janis Karpinski, commander of the 800th Military Police Brigade was formally admonished and suspended from command.

6) Also on January 17th, Lt. Colonel Jerry Phillabaum was suspended from his duties Pending Relief for Cause, for dereliction of duty as the Battalion Commander of the 320th MP Battalion

7) On January 19th, Gen. Ricardo Sanchez requested the U.S. Central Command to appoint an Investigating Officer in the grade of Major General or higher to investigate alleged abuses by the 800th Military Police Brigade.

8) On January 24th, US Central Command appoints Lt. General David D. McKiernan to conduct an investigation into alleged abuses by the 800th MP Brigade.

9) On January 28th, CID formally reports on criminal activity at the Abu Ghraib prison facility.

10) On January 31, Lt.Gen McKiernan appoints Major General Antonio Taguba to begin an Article 15 inquiry into abuses both at Camp Bucca and Abu Ghraib.

11) On February 6th, Colonel Thomas M. Pappas was relieved of his command of the 205th MI Brigade and the the Abu Ghraib FOB.

12) On March 3, Maj.Gen Antonio Taguba completes his investigation and briefs Lt.Gen McKiernan on his findings.

13) On March 9, Maj.Gen Taguba formally files a 53-page Article 15-6 report alleging criminal activity at the Abu Ghraib prison facility.

14) On March 20th, charges were filed against six soldiers involved in alleged abuses at the Abu Ghraib.

15) On April 9th, an Article 32 hearing was held for SSG. Frederick, and a general court martial was ordered.

16) Around April 14th, CBS obtained a leaked copy of Gen. Taguba's report and photos of the abuse. Gen. Myers requested CBS for extra time before publishing the report due to an ongoing hostage situation in Iraq, and uprising in Faluja.

17) On April 28th, CBS published the pictures, and the rest is history.

-peekay

11. peekay

peekay Well-Known Member

Three months before the pictures were leaked:

NEWS RELEASE
    HEADQUARTERS UNITED STATES CENTRAL COMMAND
    7115 South Boundary Boulevard
    MacDill AFB, Fla. 33621-5101
    Phone: (813) 827-5894; FAX: (813) 827-2211; DSN 651-5894

January 16, 2004
    Release Number: 04-01-43

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

DETAINEE TREATMENT INVESTIGATION

BAGHDAD, Iraq – An investigation has been initiated into reported incidents of detainee abuse at a Coalition Forces detention facility. The release of specific information concerning the incidents could hinder the investigation, which is in its early stages. The investigation will be conducted in a thorough and professional manner. The Coalition is committed to treating all persons under its control with dignity, respect and humanity. Lt. Gen. Ricardo S. Sanchez, the Commanding General, has reiterated this requirement to all members of CJTF-7.

-30-