1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kids onto dirt bikes - what age?

Discussion in 'General' started by EngineNoO9, Jul 11, 2017.

1. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Mine either. He fit into my Arai pretty quickly. Quick enough, that he's asking about wearing my Nicky replica!

This was him last year (age 5):

We went to that kart track several times last year and he had a blast (he's in kids leathers now BTW). He did a couple race events with other kids (who were 9 and 10 years old) at the end of last year (Circleville, OH and a few weeks ago at PittRace) and he didn't really have fun. He was intimidated by the older kids. We backed things off for awhile (played baseball instead) and I recently asked him if he wanted to go back to the original kart track from last year. He said yeah and last weekend we went, and he had a great time (he went six seconds a lap faster, not that dad was keeping track). He'd have more fun with kids his age, which has been hard to find so far (Jake, Jerry, nudge nudge).

Anyway, I'm just going off his interest level, more so than anything else right now.

dtalbott, JJJerry and renegade17 like this.
  2. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Are there any tricks to get the front brake lever close? Maybe my kids have my shitty small hand genes, but they can't reach the brake lever with their palm on the grip.

@renegade17 how does Paxton do it? Just using the rear for now? That's what Luke is doing.

3. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

he just opens his hand up a bit as he is usually 100% off of the throttle and can grab the lever, he is still to short for the brake pedal but I have seen wooden blocks used in that situation too.

4. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

I'll have to keep my eyes out for a strider. My wife gave me the evil eye on mentioning a 50 so soon. She's all for it but is thinking a little older (maybe late 4-5). My daughter I may see about a strider for her as well right around age 2 (she's only 14 months now).

Right now my son is a demon in the power wheels and I've been eyeing making it quicker to challenge him some. That and set up courses with cones.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  5. renegade17

Thats simple, tell her you could see the hatred in her eyes when you mentioned a 50 so you bought the kid a 49cc machine. If I remember right PWs and the Hondas are all 49s lol

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

There is a newer Strider out with a better seat. Look for that. The original has a pretty hard seat

7. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

My wife would kill me if I did that. Lol

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Question for you guys, just out of curiosity: any of you guys wait for the kids to ask for a motorcycle before you try to put them on one? I'm thinking that I would have considered it a blessing if I'd had a boy who wasn't interested in motorcycles. :D

turner38 likes this.
  9. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

My son revs his "throttle" and makes me wait while he counts to three before I'm allowed to ride beside him. This happens every 50' or so. The noises are priceless and I wish I could keep these moments happening forever. As far as him being forced onto a bike or waiting for him to ask....naw he wants it wether he thinks so or not.

BigBird likes this.
  10. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

14 months is perfect for a strider really, just give it to her and a helmet and she'll figure it out quickly

dtalbott and BigBird like this.
  11. noles19

Mine started asking when he was 3 for a bike, so it's always been his choice, now though he whines while putting his gear on and says he's retiring... Until he rides then it's the best thing ever!
    Kids are weird....

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:D

13. renegade17

My kid has the fever. he will sit out in the shop with me for hours on end working on bikes and will sit on bikes for an hour sometimes. Dirt bikes, street bikes, race bikes it doesnt matter he is nuts about them. I will not complain if he takes no interest in "inflatable ball" sports. Ever.

RRP and BigBird like this.
  14. BigBird

BigBird blah

so what you're saying is that we never outgrow that...thought it was me just getting old.

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

so baseball is OK...got it :D

16. renegade17

Watch your mouth!

BigBird likes this.
  17. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Raina asked "Dad will you teach me how to ride a motorcycle?" - unsolicited.

Beck and I talked and told her once she mastered the bicycle etc and she was still interested we would consider it.

We will see where we are at come December.

(I disregarded the sexist phrasing of your question and resisted the trigger. :crackup:)

18. noles19

Pretty much!

BigBird likes this.
  19. renegade17

Are you metalheads dad?

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I thought about that as I was writing the post and decided I didn't give enough of a damn to fix it. :D