1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

kids dirt bike gear, school me

Discussion in 'General' started by bullockcm, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

Got any leathers or boots Nigel?

2. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Where in NY? I’m in Syracuse area. Have some gear that’s been collecting dust from when the kids were 4-7yrs old.

3. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I do. Would have to check sizes.

4. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

southern Tier, about 45 minutes west of Corning. I do get up to the Seneca Falls area fairly regularly.

5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

If you want them to grow up right....good protective gear consists of a pair of vintage Sears Toughskins or maybe some corduroy pants...preferably orange. Then pair those with and either a striped long sleeve polo shirt (synthetic fabric of course) or possibly a plaid shirt grandma sewed from a pattern. For real gnarly terrain add a denim jacket. And some leather work gloves.

Also I hope the rule is if you cant start it you cant ride it....

Man how did we even live to be this old???

6. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Camp is in Phelps, not too far from Seneca Falls. I’ll toss the gear in the truck this week and bring it to camp. Next time you’re in SF area give me a shout and maybe we can meet up.

bullockcm likes this.
  7. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Eh, I get it, but kind of archaic to make a kid who can ride the bike sit because they aren't big enough to kick it, no?

8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Some of it could be old school "this is how it was when I was young so you suffer too"...but there is a practical side. What if he is way far away, stalls the bike and cant start it...now he is walking back.

9. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Then he will have a story to tell about how he had to walk back uphill both ways from dirt bike school, snow optional of course :)

10. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Don't forget the wolves. They prowl around just waiting for dirt bikes to fall silent. Once the swearing grows weak, they move in for the kill.

11. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

I am not getting Wyatt boots till he gets on a bigger bike. He has helmet, gloves, chest, elbow, knee and goggles. he wears contractor boots and I make sure the laces are always tucked. He grows out of shoes every 3 months. I am not spending $200 bucks on boots.

We are moving to more land and if he picks up the pace and rides daily I will get him boots.

12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Gloves?

It was tennis shoes, tough skins, t-shirt and a open face helmet. I’m sure I wore a jacket if it was cold, but usually we rode in T-shirts.

I don’t think I ever wore boots until it was required for drag racing.

I remember my first time drag racing in DFW and they were letting guys go down the track in a T-shirt. Had never seen that before.

ChemGuy likes this.