1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keihin Carb Issues

Discussion in 'Tech' started by vance, Aug 4, 2016.

1. vance

vance *

will do:beer:

2. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

FWIW - the track I noticed the biggest difference since switching to electric fuel pump and big petcock was Portland. 1 mile long front straight at full throttle makes for some thirsty carbs.

3. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

4. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

It comes from experience on my end. I'm just backing that up with the fact that a guy with more expierience than all of us doesn't reccomnd it.

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Funny SV story.

I bought Tyler an SV and we showed up at the AFM Buttonwillow round in 2010 or 11. It ended up getting rained out, but we got some track time. Tyler was still racing a RS125 and a little time on a Moriwaki. He goes out on the SV and comes in after the session, and tells us it is slow. So a few guys and I, are talking with him, and figure maybe he isn't cranking the throttle open far enough? He thinks he is, but isn't 100% sure.

I think we get part of one more session and the weekend is rained out. So we had planned to head straight up to Thunderhill for more track time and a Star school. Tyler is out riding his 125 and I'm playing with the SV, trying to figure it out. Matt Myers, Elena's dad, walks over and we discuss it. He said it only sounds like it is running on one cylinder to me?:clap:

I had been playing with single cylinder bikes for so long, I didn't even realize it. Went right out and bought new plugs and that didn't fix it. Played with the coil wiring and sure enough that was it.

I also remember the flat slides make so much noise at idle, I thought I had to adjust my valves or had a major top end problem.....nope that's normal.

Focker likes this.
  6. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Lol Rob. I've also found out the hard way that you need to space the cam chain upper guard when you have adjustable cam sprockets. That makes quite the clatter.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

My wife took video of me firing my FZR up the first time after getting it built. Lit right up at which point I slammed the kill switch in a panic. No way they would have sent it to me with THAT obvious a top end failure? Maybe? Fired it up again and spent the next couple of minutes trying to figure out where the rattle was from and then noticed it cleaned up with revs... wtf?! THEN, only after said video of me getting ready to give up on racing did it dawn on me what I was hearing.

Boman Forklift and Focker like this.
  8. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

The builder that did my engine did a few F-USA TLR superbikes. He told me that they were louder coming towards you from the intake then they were going away from the exhaust.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  9. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

you guys should hear my R1, attack ram air and FCR's, sounds like an old ducati with a dry clutch. FCR's are the only thing acceptable on a race bike if its not efi.

Focker likes this.
  10. Dave675

I agree....Flat slides are badass. Once you are familiar with them and are able to work on them, you won't want anything else.

racepro171 likes this.
  11. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

My FZ Superbike with Dry Clutch and and Flat slides sounds like it's coming apart, I love it. Lug nuts in a Skippy jar.

12. vance

vance *

I'm going to end up keeping this bike, aren't I....:beer:
    If... my mechanical skills and riding skills can elevate to the bike's potential.

Focker and Boman Forklift like this.
  13. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Well, it does look like a good bike, just work out your gremlins. Sv's are great training tools and this seems like a really nice one.

15. Dave675

Do it.....

16. vance

vance *

The for sale thread has faded to page 3 already. No need to bump yet.