1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keg-o-Rator

Discussion in 'General' started by TrentThomas, Jul 10, 2006.

1. TrentThomas

TrentThomas .........

Need FAQs, tip, tricks, etc...

My cousin sold his house and had no place for his keg-o-rator, so it came to live with me. :beer:

It's just an old fridge with a tap through the door, but it came with all the hardware and even a full keg of Micholob Light. I cleaned it up good and hooked up everything, and now I'm experiencing the joys of a bottomless beer cup.

I know some of y'all know more about these, so please offer up advice or point me to good sources of wisdom. I need ideas on care and maintenance, supplies, sources for Beer and CO2 refills, and generally all things keg-o-rator related.

Thanks.

2. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Ideas for care, huh?

If you care, you'd put a barrel of Bell's Oberon in there.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

1) Clean the lines a least once a month
    2) drink lots and lots of beer.

4. pitr

pitr Well-Known Member

I second the clean the lines at least once a month. Really cant over stress that. Look for welding supply places for c02, just make sure they refill your tank. Sometimes they will try and swap it out for a (old) full one they already have ready.

5. TrentThomas

TrentThomas .........

It came with some kind of pump-looking thingy, and a big bottle of 'beer line cleaner", but I'm too dense to figure out how to use it...

This may be the reason I can't decipher the cleaner thingy...

6. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

CO2 can be had at any bottled gas supplier. Yellow pages, call first say it's for consumption.

You will need something called "Beer Line Cleaner" and a pumper for pusing it thorugh the lines. I get my stuff from: http://www.rapidswholesale.com/

BLC and Pump: Jar Coil Cleaning Kit with Pump
    Cleaning Kit w/Metal Pump
    Rapids Item #: 6A129
    Price: $29.79
    Quantity in Basket: None

Enjoy. Mich and all other 'merican beers have a "sankey" tap (the tap is the metal part that attached to the top of the keg. The faucet is the part where beer comes out). Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada also have sankey taps. Guiness, Bass, other euro beers have differents taps which can be used with your system, but you must purchase and change the tap.

Hope this helps.

7. TrentThomas

TrentThomas .........

Ha, I first read that as Skanky :)

'Sup, Pants?

Thanks for the links - I'll check 'em out.

8. Pants Romano

Not a whole lot of anything. New employment following GNF last season. Better opportunity for sure, much happier.

"Retirement" is a hoot. Spending a lot of time with my two girls teaching them to swim and ride bicycles. Having fun learning how to golf. Harder than it looks for sure, and it's a lot safer than some of my former hobbies.

Say "hey" to Bruce for me, eh?

Shawn

9. Pants Romano

The thing with the pump is the cleaner.

1) Shut off the CO2 supply at the bottle.

2) Untap the keg, put the tap in a bucket inside the fridge.

3) Take the wrench and uncrew the faucet from the fridge door. The hose on the bottle attaches to where the faucet exits the door.

4) Take the bottle and fill with hot water and the cleaner (how much is on the bottle, usually 1 TSP).

5) Attach bottle and pump through the line. The water/cleaner will go to the bucket.

6) Repeat steps 4 & 5.

7) Rinse out bottle, fill with plain hot water, reattach and pump clean water through line.

8) Disassemble and clean faucet with cleaning solution, rinse well, reattach.

9) New Keg!

Hope this helps.

10. TrentThomas

TrentThomas .........

Thanks. I thought that's how it worked - sorta like forced backwash into a bucket. I've been searching around and reading up on all this, and it seems even cooler. I can't wait to get a keg of the good stuff.

I'll definitely pass on your hello to BB - I talk to him every week. Glad you and the girls are doing well. If you're ever over toward WNC, there's a standing invite to help drain the keg. I've got hopped-up electric go karts and an XR50 to occupy the kids while we pull pints.